7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2009 1:02 PM by the_wine_snob

Unusual Renderingproblem

Hi,

I went on a two month vacation to Australia and New Zealand a couple of weeks ago. I recorded alot with my new canon HF10.

It took my ages to edit and complete the project in Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.

So I finally exported the media and chose codec (mpeg2) and rendering options and start the Adobe Media Encoder.

I start the process, which took about 24 hours to complete, and I see every scene being rendered. No problems there.

However, when everything is finished and I open the .mpg video to watch, only 31 minutes out of 3 ½ hours is rendered. Still, I swear I could see the last clips being rendered in the encoder.

This is QUITE frustrating. While I was running the Encoder, It totaly ate my disk space (let's say 20GB). And when it was finished, the file is only about 4GB.

So, why is this? Is there a simple explanation perhaps? What am I missing?

Kind regards,

Joe

• 1. Re: Unusual Renderingproblem
          Harm Millaard Level 7

What did you export, workarea or sequence? What settings did you use? Are you a new Spielberg?

• 2. Re: Unusual Renderingproblem
            Level 1

Uhm, I feel like a noob here, 'cus I'm not really sure about the difference. However, I click my workarea (where it says Timeline: Sequence 01 as it is named, right above the project time) I guess. You know, where I edit, and everything is marked. Then File > Export > Media.

MPEG2, highest quality, 25 FPS then OK.

Thank you for the quick answer!

Also, Tarkovsky > Spielberg!

• 3. Re: Unusual Renderingproblem
              Harm Millaard Level 7

You comfirmed my suspicion:

"The two most abundant things in the universe, are Hydrogen......and Noobidity!"

Nothing wrong with being a noob. Everybody started there at some point in time.

Can you either post a screenshot of your export settings or give details, like length of the timeline, CBR or VBR, 1 or 2 pass, bitrates used, audio encoding, elementary streams or multiplexed, Also include your disk setup, connections (SATA, FW or USB), capacity, format (FAT, FAT32 or NTFS), free space and your CPU details as a bare minimum.

• 4. Re: Unusual Renderingproblem
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Joe,

Is your HDD (Hard Disk Drive) formatted as NTFS, or FAT-32? The 4GB limit happens to be the largest file size that a FAT-32 disk can handle. In My Computer, Rt-click on the disk in question, and choose Properties. It will tell you the format.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Unusual Renderingproblem
                  Level 1

This is by far the most helpful forum I've ever seen. Kudos to you guys!

My disk is NFTS, and it's a Raptor X Gamer with 10.000 RPM. So it should'nt be a problem right? It's a real badass.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1492/2867okrjjerhj.jpg

Is this enough? If not, I will provide more screens.

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Unusual Renderingproblem
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your source footage is set in a 720x576 sequence which you are trying to render to 1440x1080.

You need to check in what resolution you have filmed: SD or HD.

If its HD make a new sequence and copy your footage into this new sequence and render again.

If its SD render to dvd-mpeg2.

4 hours timeline is way to long, you need to cut it up.

Are you planning on sticking it on a dvd or Bluray?

• 7. Re: Unusual Renderingproblem
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

No, that takes care of my question. I guess that the file size was just coincidental then.

Good luck,

Hunt