5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 1:25 PM by Kerzoro

Video Compression

Kerzoro Level 1

Hello.

I have a .mov file that is around 700 MB while being roughly 2 minutes long. Is there a way to compress this file, while keeping it as a .mov, losing as little quality as humanly possible? It is my demo reel, and I need it to be 50 MB or less so I can upload it in some places.

I have both Premiere and Aftereffects CS4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Video Compression
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

That is an awful lot of compression but possibly if it is used an uncompressed codec in the quicktime wrapper it may reduce ok.  Open Adobe Media Encoder and "Add" it.  Go to the settings button and apply H.264 codec encoding and see what size you get.

Then if that is still to large go to the settings button and reduce the frame size (if possible) and then the Quality Level.  It is a trial an error process..

• 2. Re: Video Compression
            Kerzoro Level 1

Thank you for your reply!

I tried doing as you said. The .mp4 file was only 38.8 MB, which is a great improvement!

So now I wonder, how can I make that into a .mov? Repeating the process the other way around sends it to 383 MB. Any suggestions for that?

• 3. Re: Video Compression
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

With the Export Settings window open you can export it as a MOV using the and use the h.264 codec

• 4. Re: Video Compression

Hello Kerzoro,

Here are the steps you can follow to get a .mov file with H.264 compression:

1) Select format as QuickTime in Adobe Media Encoder

2) Launch settings UI

3) Select any preset

4) Under video tab , change the video codec to H.264

5) Change the frame size and quality best suited to your needs

6) Export

This was you will get a .mov file with compressed version of your original .mov file. You can tweak the frame size and quality settings to vary the output file size and quality.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Abhinav

• 5. Re: Video Compression
                  Kerzoro Level 1

Thank you very much for your directions! While I haven't gotten it beneath 50 MB yet, I now have an idea how to do it and will work at it.

Again, thank you!