18 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2010 7:12 AM by yocc

Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf

J-R0d

I am having an issue with Adobe Reader 9.1.  I upgraded my version of Adobe as a result of the secuirty vulnerabilty reported.  Since that time, I have been unable to open any pdf files that are posted on a website which would be opened via my browser.  I have tested, and the results are the same in both IE and Firefox.  I open the document, it appears to render it, and then before I can actually read it it pulls up a crash screen and informs me of an error.  In both the case of IE and Firefox, it closes down the browser entirely, including and other windows or tabs which are open of that same program.

Here is the report from Firefox.

Add-ons: {CAFEEFAC-0015-0000-0012-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:5.0.12,{B7082FAA-CB62-4872-9106-E42DD88EDE45}:2.9, {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0013-ABCDEFFEDCBA}:6.0.13,jqs@sun.com:1.0,{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:3.0.1

BuildID: 2008070208

CrashTime: 1240332030

InstallTime: 1231884902

ProductName: Firefox

StartupTime: 1240331935

Theme: classic/1.0

URL:

UserID:

Vendor: Mozilla

Version: 3.0.1

This report also contains technical information about the

I have removed and re-installed the program several times. As well, I downloaded a copy of Adobe Reader Lite and installed it to see if it would make a difference.  I have done a complete unistall along witha  re-boot in every case.  I have flushed my browser cache, cookies, etc...   I am able to open pdf files from the dektop with no issues, just not froma browser of any sort.

any inpout on what might help to resolve this issue would be apprecitated.

• 1. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
          Fiat_Lux Level 1

I got a problem that reminds me of yours - which make me believe that there are a greater problem with Reader 9 + 9.1 .

I made this thread : http://forums.adobe.com/thread/422570

• 2. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
            Fiat_Lux Level 1

P.S.

It's probably going to be considered sacrilege around here...... , but if your problem persists you could try another reader like for example "Foxit Reader 3.0 for Windows" , I do not know what tech they use or if they even got an I.E. plugin , as I did not find any mention of that , but atleast they do support a FireFox plugin  - which is stated here ! .

Regards

• 3. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
              J-R0d Level 1

thanks for the info.  I already have Foxit, but it does not have a plug in for IE (that i am aware of).  I found another thread on here http://forums.adobe.com/message/1771652#1771652  that had some good information.  Basically what I did was follow all the instruction in that thread, and I still had the same result.  But one of the things I did see was the ability to turn off adobe from opening in a brwoser window as a workaround.  So, I tried that.  The result is that this works.  The documents open in Adobe rather than in IE or Firefox, and work fine.  So, there seems to be some issue with the interaction of reader and the browser.

• 4. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                bjmiii

J ROd and Fiat Lux,

Was wondering if any reply from Adobe ever came back?  I am having the exact same problems and was told that it was something I did during an install or shutdown.  I don't really remember doing anything different.

Thanks for the information. I am attempting J ROd's last reply to see if that helps.  If not then it is off to Foxit.

Thanks again.

Bud

• 5. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                  J-R0d Level 1

I have not recieved and answer back from Adobe.  All the troubleshooting and resolution has been done withthe help of the users on this forum, and with my own time to troubleshoot.  I have two laptops with the same OS, the same browser, and the same version of reader.  One works, the otehr does not.  No ammount of install/un-install, removal, etc... has been able to rectify the issue.  The issue is that the reader is crashing the browser, and has a fundametal issue that I feel needs to be resolved.  Many of the other messages you see are of the same sort of issue.  Of course it may be such a small subset of users that Adobe doesn't care, or feel it is necessary to investigate or resolve the issue.  But, I have found a workaround for the time being....  I don't like it, but it keeps the browser from crashing.

• 6. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                    bjmiii Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I attempted that two weeks ago and it did not work.

I am going to try it again.  Maybe after a 1/2 dozen un-installs and

re-installs it might work.  There are three of us in this office with the

problem.  An IT guy told me that we are the only ones have "recurring"

problems.

Thanks again.

J-R0d <forums@adobe.com>

05/05/2009 11:14 AM

Please respond to

clearspace-1856600447-1LnE-2-88SK@mail.forums.adobe.com

To

Bernard McDermott <admcderm@co.trumbull.oh.us>

cc

Subject

Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a

.pdf

I have not recieved and answer back from Adobe.  All the troubleshooting

and resolution has been done withthe help of the users on this forum, and

with my own time to troubleshoot.  I have two laptops with the same OS,

the same browser, and the same version of reader.  One works, the otehr

does not.  No ammount of install/un-install, removal, etc... has been able

to rectify the issue.  The issue is that the reader is crashing the

browser, and has a fundametal issue that I feel needs to be resolved. 

Many of the other messages you see are of the same sort of issue.  Of

course it may be such a small subset of users that Adobe doesn't care, or

feel it is necessary to investigate or resolve the issue.  But, I have

found a workaround for the time being....  I don't like it, but it keeps

the browser from crashing.

• 7. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                      dee145

I need help please!!!  Everytime I go on a site that requires Adobe Reader my computer freezes up on me completely.  Have to shut down to get out of it. A box comes up also saying there's a problem with my Adobe Reader and to try again but nothing works.  My computer is new and this just started happening.  I have Windows XP and I use Internet Explorer. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks, Dee

• 8. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                        J-R0d Level 1

I would read my post above, plus the link to the thread I posted.  The first helpful hint I would give you would be to open up Adobe on your PC.  Go into the settings and configure Adobe to not open form the browser.  This will force it to open in the actual program, and may prevent your PC from freezing.

• 9. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                          blue_rival

Same problem for me - latest reader version and it crashes IE 8, Latest Firefox and latest chrome.

I tried uninstall - reboot - reinstall 3x no change.

Adobe does not care i guess??

• 10. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                            Fiat_Lux Level 1

As mentioned in my post above I ran into "such a problem" back in 2009 and I made this thread concerning the problem :

Then having to run an Adobe Reader 8.xx rather than a Reader 9.xx I had alerted Adobe as to the problem by writing to their customer service, they never cared to answer and apparently never cared to fix the problem.

An apology to Bud, who made a question above in this thread we are in now with respect to if Adobe responded.  Sorry Bud I didn't read your post .

But I can tell everyone who reads this that Adobe at some point made a great public excuse at Adobe's own site that Adobe had given so poor customer service and that Adobe subsequently would give much better customer service in the future. So I wrote Adobe again about the problem once (or twice ?) but they still never cared to answer - so so much for their promises with respect to bettering Adobe customer/user service. 

As for problem status 2010 then it is only a month, or so, ago that one of my brothers experienced the problem (with crashes of I.E. 8 trying to open a PDF document) and after running a general diagnostic of his system guided by me (prior to that he had already tried to un-install and re-install Reader 9.xx ) it came up that apparently the only solution to the problem were to un-install Reader 9.xx and install Reader 8.1.2  .

People may find older Adobe Readers at Adobe's FTP repository (that is ofcourse also kind of a service/support by Adobe - so thanks to Adobe for that!).

The Adobe Reader 8.1.2 can be downloaded from here : please choose the directory containing the language version of your choice (Link is to Windows version , Mac versions & other versions can be found here) .

Often I.E.8 PDF crashes will be fixed by uinstalling the Adobe Reader 9.xx , rebooting and then install Reader 8.1.2 .

Please turn of the Adobe Reader 8.1.2 update function of Adobe Reader 8.1.2 in the case it should try to update to 9.xx , but please also do however note that this may lower the security when opening PDF documents so please take care and please act accordingy when "surfing" the internet.

Regards

"Fiat_lux"

• 11. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                              bjmiii Level 1

Fiat_Lux and blue_rival,

Thanks for the replies.  I to have not heard from Adobe.  I had downloaded and have been using Foxit from Mozilla.  Haven't had any issues with it.  Having a hard time getting used to the icon change though.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Bud

• 12. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                                tufop123

This work around works for me.  I was having same issue.

I am aware of an issue with Acrobat Reader 9.3.2 plugin for Internet Explorer 7 and Internet Explorer 8. If you are using Internet Explorer 7 or 8 and have Reader 9.x. I can give you one work around. This work around only pertains to Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.x and Internet Explorer 7 or 8.  I have not tested either with Firefox.

1) Open Adobe Reader outside of Internet Explorer
                                2) Go to Edit then Preferences
                                3) Under Categories on the left side click on Internet
                                4) Uncheck Display PDF in browser and click Ok. 
                                TUFOP123
                                • 13. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                                  tufop123 Level 1

There seems to be the same issue for FireFox c

urrent version and the FireFox extension if it is 9.x

• 14. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                                    Level 1

I still think Foxit reader is better than Adobe Reader for dialy work or study, though I also refer to adobe reader sometimes. Foxit reader has faster loading speed than Adobe reader. It is simple and light. So if your adobe reader crash, try to use Foxit reader.

• 15. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                                      Fiat_Lux Level 1

Hi "tufop123"

About a year ago "J-R0d" self actually suggested the "solution" described by you , as solution to his/her own problem .

"J-R0d" made that post in this thread about a year ago (though not with as specific instructions as you did).

It's kind of you to want to help people but you really do not seem to fully read the threads you post in "en masse" .

Also as I wrote as answer to you , in the thread started by myself where you also placed an answer , then your suggestion would not have worked with respect to the then problem had by me at that time (that you might have been able to guess from my thread "headline") .

"Fiat_Lux"

Message was edited by: Fiat_Lux

• 16. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                                        yocc

At the risk of folks throwing stuff at me, what browser versions, and perhaps equally important, what OS version are you running? I am able to view and download PDF docs from Google Docs with IE7 and Mozilla 5.0 under Vista Ultimate.

I have a client that had symptoms similar to what I hear being described here.

The workaround my client and I chose was to de-install Adobe 9.2 install Adobe Adobe 8.2 currently available at http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/ .

My client had problems with both Mozilla and IE under Windows 7. So, my guess is incompatible versions between some Version 9.0 versions (not necessarily their doing) and different and later versions of IE and/or Mozilla under Windows 7.

Don't have an opinion on the culprit, just the symptoms.

Please note that my client has since been reading and downloading Adobe docs without browser crashes under Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Want more? when you can, check out www.yourowncomputerconsultant.com

• 17. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                                          Fiat_Lux Level 1

Why throw stuff at you for asking a perfect legitimate question (?) ...

My problems with Adobe Reader 9.xx were,as described in the thread I started myself, with Windows XP SP3 (non-US version) and I.E.8 . (But once the problem were initialized then then the problem persisited even when trying to open a particular document even through "Window Explorer" so which browser were not an issue per se )  .

With respect to my brothers problem with Adobe Reader 9.xx then I either can't remember which O.S. he recently had problems on or I didn't ask , I presume that it were with Windows XP SP3 also. (They also got PC with Vista) .

But though many that reads this may find it hard to believe because a lot do not experience problems with Adobe Reader 9.xx then in fact there seems to be a multitude of situations where Adobe Reader 9.xx simply "just don't cut it"/"works" and the fix that apparently almost always works are as I wrote earlier simply to un-install Adobe Reader 9.xx and install Adobe Reader 8.2.1 instead.  (or Foxit Reader some say - I haven't cared to try that one myself as it did not come with an I.E. plugin back when I initially had my problem and since I knew that installing Adobe Reader 8.2.1 would most likely make my brothers system run fine - and it worked out fine - then I told him to try using Adobe Reader 8.2.1 rather than 9.xx which he had problems with.) .

Regards

"Fiat_Lux"  

• 18. Re: Reader 9.1 crashes my browser(s) every time I try to view a .pdf
                                            yocc Level 1

Thank you for your kind reply.

This thread helped me solve my client's problem. So, I appreciate everyone's notes.

On another note, I am trying to build a web presence for my sole proprietor consultancy, YourOwnComputerConsultant. I have learned over the years that by participating in forums like this, giving is the best way of attracting followers/business. So, I'm happy if my initial response helps anyone on any level.

If you are so inclined, I would appreciate any bandwidth readers of this forum might have for checking out the following:

1. http://docs.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wo#folders/folder.0.0B9K6auJ-BcWmMDM3NWI0NjgtODAzNi00ZWZ mLTkwNGYtNzc0Yjk0Nzc3M2M0  - a PDF Visio chart of the web presence infrastructure (high-level) that I have deployed thus far.

My hope in sharing this information is to attract some added vistors to my resources and to more protactively engage in the blogosphere/websphere domains.

Any and ALL feedback welcome.

Thank you again,

Denny Baylor

YourOwnComputerConsultant