9 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 9:56 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I make a moving map?

Hi,

This is maybe not an optimal question for this forum, but I find no better...

I'm making a movie in Adobe Premiere. I want to show a map from where we have been and animate how we travelled within the country. (I want to show the drawing of a line.) I guess this is nothing I do in Permiere? But if so, what program do I do it in? Flash?

The basic art work I can do in Ilustrator.

Thank you in advance!

Kind Regards, Erik

• 1. Re: How do I make a moving map?
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would do this in After Effects, yes using Illustrator assets.  I know I've seen a tutorial on this; I'll look for it later.

• 2. Re: How do I make a moving map?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a tutorial on doing what I think you want to do. Now, if you want the map to move, you would size your still image adequately to cover the area that you need to animate it, and use Effects>Motion to animate the map. I could see doing this if one had an image of, say an auto, which would be fairly stationary, and have the map move beneath the auto.

As Stanley points out, AE will also do this and much more, but I think you can handle it all in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I make a moving map?
              Level 1

Yes, that's what I'm looking for. The tutorial was for Premier Pro, but I guess the same function exists in Premiere CS3... (I'm not by my own computer right now.)

• 4. Re: How do I make a moving map?
                SFL46 Level 3

Once you have the map you want to use, you can do this within PPro.  Place ithe map on a track, expanded to sequence length you want to move it over.  The map will need to be larger that the frame so that you can pan without running out of image.  Apply the motion effect which allows you to change the x and y position (i.e., pan) of the image and use keyframes to do the animation.

• 5. Re: How do I make a moving map?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Erik,

Fortunately, the tutorial will relate almost perfectly to any fairly recent version of PrPro. A button, or so, might have moved a bit, and a dialog screen might have changed a little, but the basic aspects will be easy to implement. If you get hung up on anything, just let us know the specifics of the problem, and someone will be able to translate to CS3-speak. Most tutorials that were written for CS2 will work perfectly with CS4. I still rely on tutorials done for Premiere 6.5 with only a touch of interpolation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I make a moving map?
                    Level 1

Thanks for all responses so far! I have found the write on effect, but I don't get it working

When I try to pick the points, nothing happens. (50 seconds in the tutorial.) I click on "Write on" but as soon as I click in the map, it moves to "Motion" -effekt. If I try to pick the coordinates "by hand" (writing a number), nothing happens as well. Anyone has an idea of what the problem is?

Kind Regards, Erik

• 7. Re: How do I make a moving map?
                      Level 1

Hmm, I guess I solved it. I tried to click on the screen to get the "write on"-circle to appear, but instead I had to zoom out to fetch it from the center of the image and then mooving it to where I wanted it...

• 8. Re: How do I make a moving map?
                        Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
                        Eddie

• 9. Re: How do I make a moving map?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Erik,

Sounds like you've got it. Sometimes, tutorials assume that all users will have the same setup, as the teacher. They also assume that the user will be at the same level, as the teacher. Sometimes, things just get omitted.

Eddie's links above, are a great way to get up to speed.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW, and I cannot recall if I mentioned this earlier (forum format will only let me see the one message, that I am replying to), there are at least two ways to do an animated map: Static map, with animated line, or a symbol, or image (say a car, oceanliner, etc.) that is static, but the map is animated beneath it. Each can be effective, and provide a totally different look.