7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 7:17 AM by Colin Brougham

Importing AVCHD from Sony HDR-SR7

Hi Everyone,

I have a Sony Handycam HDR-SR7 which I have setup to record on the following settings:

AVC HD 15M XP 16:9

I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest the best AVCHD sequence preset to use when importing my footage into Adobe Premiere Pro CS4?

Thank you in advancefor any help

Mitigan

• 1. Re: Importing AVCHD from Sony HDR-SR7
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You're kidding, right? If not, then maybe you are way in over your head with a program like PP.

Start with manuals, help file and tutorials and some basic education. Also have a look at the included AVCHD presets.

• 2. Re: Importing AVCHD from Sony HDR-SR7
            Level 1

Dear Harm,

I am a beginner to video editing. I have spent the last couple of weeks watching video tutorials and reading a number of books and knowledge base articles, and I have a general idea as to the answer. I was just checking to make sure I was right.

By the sounds of your answers and the look of your profile picture you seem to come across as a complete Dick. Why don't you lighten up and just give a straight answer instead of all the BS. You may not be a Premeire Pro beginner, but others are.

Mitigan

• 3. Re: Importing AVCHD from Sony HDR-SR7
              Harm Millaard Level 7

There are only 4 AVCHD presets, 2 for NTSC and 2 for PAL. Choose the approriate one. How difficult is that? If you don't know which one, look in the camera manual and the settings you used during shooting. If you expect the most basic answers to be given to you without any effort on your side, you will not get much response here.If you do not want to learn, I suggest you use a more consumer oriented program. PP is too difficult for you, if you can't even figure out this very, very basic question you posted.

• 4. Re: Importing AVCHD from Sony HDR-SR7
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mitigan,

There are two good resources on how things work in PrPro: The Premiere-Wiki, that Eddie Lotter and others keeps updated on a regular basis and Muvipix, where a lot of folk use AVCHD cameras and serveral with PrPro (though the majority are on Premiere Elements). Muvipix is both a free and a subscription site. The "Community" area is free, and is the forum area. Much of the content, i.e. some tutorials, instructional articles and downloadable Assets, like Menus, and stock footage is free too, with the remainder of that material via a paid subscription, or for an individual charge.

You'll find enough good info in both of these to really get you up to speed. I do strongly recommend a read through of the manual, as it's the best foundation that one is likely to find. However, much will probably not make sense initially. The tutorials will help fill the blanks.

Give each of those sites a look - plenty of great info contained in both.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Importing AVCHD from Sony HDR-SR7
                  Red means run son

Mitiqan,

Its not easy to get into a new app. everything seams to hard to find. The forum is the place where people should feel helpful to
                  turn to for advise.Forget about using PP, its over rated like the old men that use it. Final Cut Pro, its a much better application
                  and will save you from using second app later down the road.

• 7. Re: Importing AVCHD from Sony HDR-SR7
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Take a look at the date of the original post...

Please don't feed the trolls.