This content has been marked as final. Show 5 replies
The "Shockwave Xtra installer" on this website seemed to cause Shockwave to download the Xtras from download.macromedia.com. After running the installer, and saying yes to all the prompts, the test site that you linked to seemed to work properly with no error messages.
I am using Shockwave 11, Firefox 3, and Windows XP SP3
download SWADCMPR.X32 @ http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2003/ofr03-193/cd_files/Xtras/?C=S;O=D
then copy the file and paste to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\Xtras
note: must have shockwave installed
bnrup's solution above works but....
i found the installer on that site he mentions to be quite finnicky. i had to:
- first uninstall any previous shockwave,
- test browser,
- close browser,
- install the FULL shockwave installer (hard to find item),
- test browser
- goto the xtras install link he provides
- wait for shockwave screen to finish loading
- watch for pointer to go to hourglass
- wait for hourglass to return to pointer
- wait and additional 10 seconds or more to be sure it was really done
- then refresh that page to start the process of downloading, installing xtras
- wait for dialog box asking to install and sometimes that box pops up behind the browser
- press "install"
- wait, find, press install four more times
- on success message box click ok
- press Done button on the current page
- on confirmation press Yes which kills the browser
- restart browser
- verify xtras functionality on the test site of ur choice
- breathe sigh of relief that its finally working
- cuss abobe and microsoft for releasing buggy products and not providing support
i found that any deviation from the above steps could cause the Xtras installation to fail. i ended up using a disk imaging tool to facilitate going through multiple iterations on the above process to finally perfect it and confirm its repeatability. hence the step cussing adobe. jerks.
a test site i used to verify Xtras is this one.
the pbs.org test site RobertGault mentions works ok for me now too.
hope this post will help somebody NOT to have to waste as much time as i had to in order to get a working solution. thanks a lot adobe! donkies!
real thanks to bnrup for that link, i tried to find an alternate source for that but couldnt find anything even close. so were it not for the efforts of bnrup i would still be AFU.
Thanks bnrup Installer work Great
I used the file given by kix_ko and installed the file in both the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\Xtras & C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\Shockwave11\Xtras and it fixed the problem.