7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2009 2:07 PM by Michael Borbor

Flash or Flex?

so i am traditionally a Flash designer / developer... i know, i know that strikes fear into programmers all over!  you are probably thinking, i nest code everywhere and always have and there is no hope.  definitely not the case. 

i have always been an interface / experience first then comes the business logic second, make it all mess third.  i recently move from AS2 to AS3 development and like what AS3 has to offer and after a few short months and can imagine going back to the old style code! 

so to the point....

i decided i love the Flex IDE with code hinting organization and all of the "programmer" perks that come along with that environment.  writing class files is a breeze and much more intuitive.  everything in the product is database driven... i also love the Flex components because it appears to do some work for me with binding, resize of content, keeping assets nice and neat.  i am comfortable continuing to develop in Flash if need be, but is it time to move to Flex in everyones opinion?

here is a sample of the product we have created:

http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?show_id=NPE09

flash is really just a glorified library of sorts with all language content, configurations, etc are DB driven so that we can make it as flexible as possible.  the bis downer is that it is written in AS2 logic and i have to do alot of clean-up for search list, the drawing of data, resizing content and relative positioning, video, panel nav, on and on!  i also used tween classes, so i don't even use the timeline anymore.  i think that Flex might fit in well here. 

my BIGGEST concerns:

-  Flex seems "heavy and clunky", so performance wise it just doesn't seem as fluid and Flash displays do.

-  most flex app look the same even those built with flex 3, i cannot find and good sample that have a great presentation to them

any suggestions for good samples of Flex and Design (as in a unique presentation and nice interface)?  should i move on to develop this application in Flex?

thanks,

aj

• 1. Re: Flash or Flex?
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6

I think moving to Flex would be a good move. You can build applications in Flash, but really applications are not "timeline" based, so the Flex event model will really help you in achieving a cleaner workflow.

Also, if you port this application to Flex, and do so implementing a component based architecture, it could open up new opportunities for you. It looks like you are doing some pretty cool things in your application. As you implement them in Flex, you might find that you could sell them to other developers.

Flash programming is a great skill to have, but Flex is up-and-coming and I believe it will be one of the hot technologies over the next 5 - 10 years. Start now and you have more advanced skills than others down the road.

My 2 cents...

• 2. Re: Flash or Flex?
            Michael Borbor Level 4

I can recommend you to visit Juan Sanchez web site I believe it's 

scalenine.com you can find great customization there. Also defgrafa 

allows you to do great stuff visually.

Sincerely,

Michael

El 21/04/2009, a las 14:56, ajsimo35 <forums@adobe.com> escribió:

>

so i am traditionally a Flash designer / developer... i know, i know 

that strikes fear into programmers all over!  you are probably 

thinking, i nest code everywhere and always have and there is no 

hope.  definitely not the case.

>

i have always been an interface / experience first then comes the 

business logic second, make it all mess third.  i recently move from 

AS2 to AS3 development and like what AS3 has to offer and after a 

few short months and can imagine going back to the old style code!

>

so to the point....

i decided i love the Flex IDE with code hinting organization and all 

of the "programmer" perks that come along with that environment.  

writing class files is a breeze and much more intuitive.  everything 

in the product is database driven... i also love the Flex components 

because it appears to do some work for me with binding, resize of 

content, keeping assets nice and neat.  i am comfortable continuing 

to develop in Flash if need be, but is it time to move to Flex in 

everyones opinion?

>

here is a sample of the product we have created:

http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?show_id=NPE09

>

flash is really just a glorified library of sorts with all language 

content, configurations, etc are DB driven so that we can make it as 

flexible as possible.  the bis downer is that it is written in AS2 

logic and i have to do alot of clean-up for search list, the drawing 

of data, resizing content and relative positioning, video, panel 

nav, on and on!  i also used tween classes, so i don't even use the 

timeline anymore.  i think that Flex might fit in well here.

>

my BIGGEST concerns:

-  Flex seems "heavy and clunky", so performance wise it just 

doesn't seem as fluid and Flash displays do.

-  most flex app look the same even those built with flex 3, i 

cannot find and good sample that have a great presentation to them

>

any suggestions for good samples of Flex and Design (as in a unique 

presentation and nice interface)?  should i move on to develop this 

application in Flex?

>

thanks,

aj

>

• 3. Re: Flash or Flex?
              Miggl Level 1

As I haven't programmed in Flash before (I toyed around years ago in AS1, so that doesn't really count), I can't speak to the differences. However, from the point of view of just entering the FLEX arena (coming from .NET and PHP backgrounds), it is a huge adjustment. For me the payoff is in not having to worry about browser compatibility and web standards anymore. A secondary aspect in moving to FLEX was that I can deploy my creatings with little effort as desktop apps (using AIR) if I wish to distribute them directly to my clients.

From what I have read so far you can do a lot of the designing and skinning of FLEX using CSS files. I'm fairly sure you can also use your FLASH assets by importing them into your FLEX application, if you have special design needs that FLEX just can't accomodate (i.e. movies or time-line based assets). But FLEX does have a comprehensive effects 'engine' built in, with which you can script animation sequencially.

I'm not an expert at FLEX yet, but I can tell you that if you want to develop applications, FLEX is the way to go, due to decreased development times. I am also seeing FLEX apps poping up all over the place on major sites (Ancestry.com, for one). Closely associated, and a greate example of FLEX is MyCanvas.com.

Hope this helps a little,

-Mike

• 4. Re: Flash or Flex?
                Gregory Lafrance Level 6

As you are a .NET programmer, can you shed some light on SilverLight.

I thought it was cross-browser compatible as well?

If not that's great, cause I want SilverLight to fail.

Any additional insight into SilverLight weaknesses would be appreciated.

• 5. Re: Flash or Flex?
                  Miggl Level 1

I think there is some bad news in store for you . I have found Silverlight to be superior to FLEX in how it integrates in all MS Development tools and languages seemlessly. That will be its great strength, for any development team that is using .NET would be fools to use FLEX because of this reason.

In my company we conciously chose not to go the .NET route (I previously worked for other companies as a .NET developer, but am running my own company under PHP, Zend Framework, MySQL, and FLEX. Our reasoning is that we need to support open-development tools that allow development of cross-platform apps, and don't cost an arm and a leg. I, too, want Silverlight to fail because it is an MS product (we have completely abolished all MS products from our company and are running Ubuntu on everything).

Summary: as .NET developer I wouldn't dream of trying to integrate FLEX. Silverlight is so much easier to learn (no new language, automatic integration into Visual Studio, and utilizes same build mechanism in Visual Studio as all your other projects).

However, I think FLEX has a strong market with previous flash developers, companies running on PHP, especially those also using ZF, and independant users who can't afford expensive development IDEs.

I hope this was a fair assesment. Please provide any contradictory information, as I'm eager to learn more of this as well. I would liken the situation to the old question: go .NET or PHP for a web development team? It's the same situation here: both do nearly the same thing, although a bit differently.

-Mike

• 6. Re: Flash or Flex?
                    Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Thanks for your great feedback. Ultimately its okay if Silverlight succeeds as a parallel technology if Flex can succeed in a big way as well.

If Silverlight ever beats Flex in the future, you can sure I'll be checking it out, and quick, but you seem to see value in Flex, so hopefully my "banking on Flex/AIR" will turn out alright.

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Flash or Flex?
                      Michael Borbor Level 4

But right now you can develop Flex app within Visual Studio so the 

tools are the same, xaml is sorta a new lenguage. I've talked to 

expirience .net devs and they still prefer Flex, but to know another 

technology doesn't hurt competition just will help create better 

technologies

Sincerely,

Michael

El 21/04/2009, a las 15:57, Miggl <forums@adobe.com> escribió:

>

I think there is some bad news in store for you . I have found 

Silverlight to be superior to FLEX in how it integrates in all MS 

Development tools and languages seemlessly. That will be its great 

strength, for any development team that is using .NET would be fools 

to use FLEX because of this reason.

>

In my company we conciously chose not to go the .NET route (I 

previously worked for other companies as a .NET developer, but am 

running my own company under PHP, Zend Framework, MySQL, and FLEX. 

Our reasoning is that we need to support open-development tools that 

allow development of cross-platform apps, and don't cost an arm and 

a leg. I, too, want Silverlight to fail because it is an MS product 

(we have completely abolished all MS products from our company and 

are running Ubuntu on everything).

>

Summary: as .NET developer I wouldn't dream of trying to integrate 

FLEX. Silverlight is so much easier to learn (no new language, 

automatic integration into Visual Studio, and utilizes same build 

mechanism in Visual Studio as all your other projects).

>

However, I think FLEX has a strong market with previous flash 

developers, companies running on PHP, especially those also using 

ZF, and independant users who can't afford expensive development IDEs.

>

I hope this was a fair assesment. Please provide any contradictory 

information, as I'm eager to learn more of this as well. I would 

liken the situation to the old question: go .NET or PHP for a web 

development team? It's the same situation here: both do nearly the 

same thing, although a bit differently.

>

-Mike

>