5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 4:04 PM by Ned Murphy

Flash not working when uploaded to server

MGibsonDigital

I've seen this problem dozens of times, so it must be a common problem - just not with a problem solution. I have a basic HTML page with a swf that works fine locally, but not after uploading the files to the server. I've moved over the HTML, swf, flv and AC_RunActiveContent.js files to the appropriate locations. Is there something I'm doing wrong?  The page is here.http://www.mgibsondigital.com/whiteconstruction-betasite6/index2.htm Any help is appreciated. Thanks! - Mark

• 1. Re: Flash not working when uploaded to server
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Chances are there is something internal to the Flash file that is not working in its new environment.  Based on your html code, there is no need for the AC...js file.  When I try to view the file alone, outside of the html page, it still does not show anything.  What kinds of things are going on with that file when it is first trying to start up?

• 2. Re: Flash not working when uploaded to server
            MGibsonDigital Level 1

Well, the original project is structured a bit differently from the norm. It imports the flv to a playback component, and uses an event listener to navigate to a new URL once the video is finished playing. But I don't know that there's a connection here which would cause the video not to even begin. I don't know if this will help, but FWIW, here's the code:

import fl.video.*;

flvPlayer.source="NEWINTRO.flv"

flvPlayer.addEventListener(VideoEvent.COMPLETE, myHomePage);

flvPlayer.autoPlay= true;

var urlRequest=new

URLRequest("http://www.thewebsite.com/home.htm");

function myHomePage(eventObject:VideoEvent) :void

{navigateToURL(urlRequest, '_self');}

Like I said, locally, it all works flawlessly. Thanks for your help. - Mark

• 3. Re: Flash not working when uploaded to server
              MGibsonDigital Level 1

"Chances are there is something internal to the Flash file that is not working in its new environment"

This is one of the things I hate about Flash video. It's not self-contained, per Quicktime & Windows Media; it requires a number of external files to play a video. So what types of things can cause a Flash file to change its operations when transfered from one environment to another?

• 4. Re: Flash not working when uploaded to server
                MGibsonDigital Level 1

I started over from scratch thinking maybe I missed something. Still the same - works locally, not when uploaded to server. Any suggestions?

• 5. Re: Flash not working when uploaded to server
                  Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unfortunately (for me) I don't have alot of experience with video stuff, so I can't offer much in the way of telling you there's something off with the code.  I would expect that if it works locally it should work on the server as well.  The best I can recommend it triple checking the locations of the involved files.

If there's any way of adding an event listener to see if the flv actually starts to load, and any other status you can check, I'd try that as a temporary troubleshooting step.

If no one else picks up on this thread, try posting it anew with a summary of what've included here.  I won't interupt its progress with a response.