5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 12:25 PM by Maxlight

Extremely slugish with 32gig 1hr40min file on nice computer

Maxlight

What can I do to solve this issue?

Premiere Pro CS4 (all updates/that I know of) is acting sluggish and very odd.

I am using a time line setting of DV NTSC Widescreen from the preset menu. My source file is from a live 3 camera shoot cut live on a Tricaster Studio Version 2.5 and recorded to its Drive using the “Studio MPEG” format then transfered via external drive to my main edit machine. The file started out about 2 hours long and was cut to about 1 hour and 40 minutes. The File raw file size is about 32gig before editing.

OK before I go any further here is the workstation specs:

Dell T7400 with dual Intel Xeon E5420 processors (dual quad- it shows 8cores @2.49Ghz)

12 gig of FBDIMM ram

64 bit version of Windows Vista Ultimate (all updates accept for some foreign languages)

Nvidia Quadro FX1700 video card – connected to a Samsung 42 LCD via DVI-HDMI@ 1920x1080

150 gig main internal drive with OS and Adobe Production Premium

1Tb external Esata drive

dual 300gig Western Digital Velociraptor 10krpm drives in raid 0 for video data

(as far as I can tell I have all updates)

OK so I use only the video portion of the Mpeg file and for audio use the MP3 that is recorded at the same time. Upon loading the file into the project there is about a 20 minute or so (conforming) that takes place.. Then I begin working and as long as I'm in the first 2/3rds of the file ever thing seems ok.. But when I even click past that point on the timeline then premiere acts like its on a machine with no memory at all..super sluggish, no video in preview for 5 minutes..not really anything you can do but wait...The last portion of the file is basically un-editable. SO I hit enter for render all, even though I still need to edit. After 4 hours or so I have a green line and get back to work. Great so I get this and nest the sequence...then in another timline do my credit roll..nest that..open a new timeline stick the two nested files together and dynamic link to encore.(btw now that I nested the super slow barely usable thing is back) .Also the title edit page seems to run verrrry slow.

All I did in encore was the basics..Chapter marks at interval, end action and such and burn. It takes Like 5 seconds to at the first 80% of chapter makers then 5 minutes to ad the last 3 markers...kinda weird it usuall fly past this. Then on Burn it takes a good 4 hours to transcode.

The resulting dvd played on a standard dvd player to an olivea LCD via component video look fairly nice, but has a bit of an odd interlacing issue at times and an occasional stutter on slow pans that was not present in the original AND it completely left of the credit roll..wierd.

What do I need to change to get my normal good performance for this longer file. I have recently completed an hour long wedding from DV tape and had 0 issues like this.

When I look at the resource monitor the whole computer is never using more that 6 gig even with photoshop 64 bit, encore, and soundbooth open. (For what I do so far)

This is something that I need to do every week, and fast. What Do I need to do to address all these issues. THANKS many times in advance

Eric Hite

• 1. Re: Extremely slugish with 32gig 1hr40min file on nice computer
          Jim_Simon Level 8

OK so I use only the video portion of the Mpeg file and for audio use the MP3 that is recorded at the same time.

That could be the issue.  Best to use DV clips with the original audio intact.

• 2. Re: Extremely slugish with 32gig 1hr40min file on nice computer
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Jim. Is there any way to get a PCM/WAV from that recorded source? If not, I'd look into doing a conversion to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit outside of PrPro and using that. Though uncompressed, you will obviously NOT restore the Audio that was lost in the original MP3 conversion, and the conversion time will likely be much less than the Conforming time in PrPro, plus should yield better performance.

Just a thought, and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Extremely slugish with 32gig 1hr40min file on nice computer
              Maxlight Level 1

Well Thank you for responding.  We already decided to use a wav file from another recorder, but the audio is not realy my main problem.  The main issue is the premiere becomes basicaly useless on the last 2/3 of the file.  Then encore seems to struggle with that portion of the file as well.  The over picture looks nice, but does have a couple starge qualities to be resolved.  A mild flicker or strobe effect on some panning and what looks like a little bit of interlacing issue of some sort..once again at times.

Eric...I also just noticed the apps to dl and run tests..  I am doing that next and will post results.

Thank you again

• 4. Re: Extremely slugish with 32gig 1hr40min file on nice computer
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Erik,

Since you are using SD material and going to DVD, does your Tricaster software allow Export as DV-AVI Type II? It could be the MPEG-2 CODEC used, that is causing problems. Do not know that software, so I cannot help you with it. If you can get a DV-AVI Type II, try with that instead.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Extremely slugish with 32gig 1hr40min file on nice computer
                  Maxlight Level 1

If I use the built in editor onthe tricaster I can "Save as" and convert the Original File and export as an avi.. That will add at least 3-4 hours to this process.  It does not say AVI type II though.  There are a few formats I will check into. I would still transfer this file to the adobe editor and have to edit a 2 hour file.  There seem to be many variables to these issues.  I really do not want to use the tricaster for editing or file conversion.  Tonight I'll record something a little shorter and see if its just a file size issue.

Eric