11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2009 11:16 PM by jljonathan

Updating files is very slow

jljonathan Level 1

I opened about 12 files in ACR and spotted them with the healing tool, clicked done and returned to Bridge, a window opened to track the updating of  the files with a very slow moving progress line, the updating took a very long time. ACR 5.3, Imac with Leopard. Should this take so long to accomplish? Can anything speed things up?

Jonathan

• 1. Re: Updating files is very slow
          jljonathan Level 1

Forgot to mention the Imac has 3 gigs of ram, all files are stored on fast 750 gig external drive that is not anywhere near full.

• 2. Re: Updating files is very slow
            Omke Oudeman Level 5

It happens from time to time, you can't do very much to stop it unless a force quit...

But to prevent for the next time there are some options to try:

- purge cache for folder using: tools menu - cache - purge cache for folder

- use the Refresh option (View menu - refresh / or hit the F5 key)

- and if it happens a lot use the option key while restarting Bridge and choose refresh preferences. This reset it  to basic and you can again set the prefs to your wishes.

Also do system maintenance as check and repair permissions on a regular basis.-

• 3. Re: Updating files is very slow
              jljonathan Level 1

Omke.

Could this also be caused by using much larger files? Previous files were from a Canon 5d, these were from Canon 1ds mk III.

Jonathan

• 4. Re: Updating files is very slow
                dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Can you provide some more data?

* What file format were these files (DNG, CR2, JPEGs, TIFFs, what)?

* How long, exactly, is a "very long time?"

* Are you saying it's slow because you've done exactly the same operation with other versions of Camera Raw/Bridge or on another system and seen the operation finish in less time? If so, how long does it take in that case?

Thanks,

David

• 5. Re: Updating files is very slow
                  jljonathan Level 1

David

These are dng files, but as I added above, the size has increased from what I was used to before. The progress bar just seemed to sit there for ever before it moved, and then it would just budge a 1/4" then sit again. It  took a "LONG" time to do the 12 files.

Jonathan

• 6. Re: Updating files is very slow
                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

jljonathan wrote:

David

These are dng files, but as I added above, the size has increased from what I was used to before. The progress bar just seemed to sit there for ever before it moved, and then it would just budge a 1/4" then sit again. It  took a "LONG" time to do the 12 files.

Jonathan

And again, the question, how long is "long?"

• 7. Re: Updating files is very slow
                      jljonathan Level 1

Oh, stickler for details, huh.  Really - really long. Seriously, for the 12 files it took approximately 20 minutes to update. One other element to throw in besides the size of the files was that there were many dust spots that were spotted with the healing tool. In general, I do see the spinning ball more often now that I am opening and manipulating these large files.

Jonathan

• 8. Re: Updating files is very slow
                        Omke Oudeman Level 5

jljonathan wrote:

Omke.

Could this also be caused by using much larger files? Previous files were from a Canon 5d, these were from Canon 1ds mk III.

Jonathan

Jonathan, it seems I somehow misread your post and was thinking about you seeing the spinning wheel. But now I see that you are talking about the window showing updating after altering them in ACR.

And I can confirm that updating 12 files from the 1Ds3 can take some time and compared to smaller files it sure takes longer. As it is obviously also the case with ingestion of the files, converting to DNG and caching.

Also I can confirm that the updating takes a few seconds each for the EOS1Ds3 files as I'm using the same files. But then I must add also to the prior posted, how long is long?

It would be a nice thing to have the updating working in the background because as long as the update window is showing you can't work on Bridge or PS depending from what app you started ACR, that is something for a feature request...

While working on this answer you did give an update about the time so I did some testing myself

Using 12 1Ds3 files (they are converted to DNG as I always do). All the normal settings as color balance, recovering fill light etc in the basic panel and some in the camera calibration panel.

On my machine (it is a pretty fast MacPro 8 core with lots of RAM so not a very honest comparing) those files usually take about 10 seconds each to update and open in PS, using only the ACR 'done' button the 12 files take roughly 80 seconds to update and cache the changes to reflect in preview and thumbnail in Bridge

I did give them some extra ridicule altering in ACR using the healing tool with some very big circles and randomly put in the file using the select all in film strip mode. About 15 times. Then also made a cut out with combining straiten tool. I never used ACR this way and to my shock the same files took about 8 minutes to update

So you are right in the experience that working this way can take a long time.

Options are first of all sensor cleaning to remove the spots before taking the picture... (despite the advert about automatic sensor cleaning showing dust cleaning it gets only rid of the loose dust but the very tiny oil spots and other nasty sticky stuff do not get removed and therefor you will need to do this manual)

Don't use spothealing in ACR, it works also fine in PS itself and using the command+option+0 shortcut in PS get's you much faster to 100 % then in ACR. Also start with the arrow page left up key to start in the upper left corner and work around the image using the command key together with the page up and down keys takes you on a very easy way through the whole file in segments

And start saving for a faster machine that is better fitting with your Pro camera if I may say so. I agree also that it is a never ending race between pixels and Mhz and MB's but we do have to live with that fact, if we like it or not....

• 9. Re: Updating files is very slow
                          Thomas Knoll Level 2

Turn off the option in the Camera Raw preference to update the embedded previews inside the DNGs.  It sounds like you have turned this option on (it defaults to off).

• 10. Re: Updating files is very slow
                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

...and the only reason you would need this is if you are using those DNGs wit a 3rd party asset management that relies upon the DNG previews. Bridge and other Adobe software doesn't need those previews...

• 11. Re: Updating files is very slow
                              jljonathan Level 1

As a matter of fact, I am using Expression Media, so I will have to leave the embedded previews checked and learn to meditate while the updates progress at their own pace.

Thanks all

Jonathan