My guess would be this is a problem with Squeeze.
Thanks for the reply. I have the same issue even if I export it directly
form CS3...Somehow it seems to be losing it's PAR info...
I have the same issue even if I export it directly form CS3...Somehow it seems to be losing it's PAR info...
That contradicts what you posted originally. Please post more details.
Sorry, I should have been more clear.
I've tried to export a compressed version (QuickTime h264 and wmv 768k
stream) directly from CS3 and get similar results. I can force a 16:9 file
but the video is pillar boxed, squashed and does not fill the frame...much
like the 4:3 version I'm getting from Sorenson.
Correct playback of anamorphic files often needs to be manually adjusted in the playback software. Quicktime and Windows Media Player do not easily handle this task. Best to use the KMPlayer, VLC or even GOM player. See if one of those helps.
Thank you Jim. I'll try out those players. Windows Media Player seems to
figure it out. It's Quicktime that is giving me fits...
That's not surprising, and is just one of many reasons why I don't have any version of Quicktime installed on any of three computers.
I've decided to keep life simple, that the players should only deal with square pixels, so here's my method for doing 16:9.
In my case I capture HDV which has a 1.333 PAR, a rectagular pixel.
After I capture, I select the file, and go to File-Interpret Footage, and select square pixels. Now my source footage looks all squeezed up in the preview window. I edit as usual, but I add a Transform filter in the timeline, scale height = 100%, and can you guess the scale width value? That's right 133.3%
Now I have a 16:9, square pixel output and I select a 16:9 output dimension, like 520 wide by 292 high.
Works like a champ, without having to use silly hd codecs or anamorphic mumbo jumbo.
I use it for Flash delivery and I use it for podcasting apps as well.
Hope that helps!
Thank you for your reply. That's the best solution I've gotten so far. I
just had another situation where your trick would have worked for me...I
recently opened a project using the default 16:9 DV settings. I imported
BetaSP through my BlackMagic video card. The footage was shot 16:9 SD.
Premiere recognized it and scaled the video to the proper 16:9 size.
Unfortunately the captured footage acquired weird "sparkles", some kind of
digital artifacts. I was on a tight deadline to finish the video, it was a
56 minute infomercial, so I ignored the problem until I was done with the
edit. I tried every setting I could imagine, recaptured, spit, swore...but
nothing removed the sparkles. Sooooo, I opened a new project using the
BlackMagic 8bit uncompressed settings like I should have in the first place.
I imported the DV project into the new one and recaptured all the footage.
Viola, no sparkles! The only problem was Premiere didn't rescale the footage
as it had in the DV project. It played pillar boxed 4:3 in this new 16:9
project. I kind of eyeballed it and scaled the width to 136% and the world
was a better place to live...Next time I'll use the 133.3% width and see how
Sorry for the long story and thanks again for the solution!