3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2009 1:17 AM by ozfife

Importing movie to Flash 8 and error message appears

RP in Oz

I have tried to import a movie into Flash 8 and the message appears "The operation could not be completed as an error has occurred".  It will not pu the movie on to the stage.  Do you think there is something wrong with the movie file or am I missing a step?  This is what I do:

1) open a new flash file

2) file - import video

3) browse to find the movie file and then click next

4) Click the option 'progressive download from a web server'

5) I dont change any of the default settings and I don't want a skin on it

6) It runs through like it is making the file and then the message appears "The operation could not be completed as an error has occurred".

Any ideas what I am doing wrong??

Thanks,

Rachel

• 1. Re: Importing movie to Flash 8 and error message appears
          ozfife

Hi, I have had exactly the sme problem and carried out the same procedures.

The procedures are correct as it used to work for me.

Having looked on the web, I think this problem relates to other software on my system which is in conflict with flash causing it to malfunction.

Things were working fine on my system until I installed a package called "Autodesk" then Flash could not import movies.

I then uninstalled autodesk but it still never worked.  I am not sure if restoring my system back to the date before I installed autodesk will resolve the matter.  I have yet to do that.

Perhaps you could let me know what other installations you have.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

• 2. Re: Importing movie to Flash 8 and error message appears
            RP in Oz Level 1

There may be something in this - files that need Java are not working properly on my computer at present and I have correctly installed the Java program. I have downloaded a few different desktop publlishing programs and also added some music type software but they have been removed but this hasn't changed my ability to use the Flash 8 movie importing feature.  I do not know enough about computers and software to do anything more than add or remove programs.

• 3. Re: Importing movie to Flash 8 and error message appears
              ozfife Level 1

Now that I have restored my pc to the time before installing Autodesk, the

import facility now works again.

If you have installed programs that you do not really need, the best thing

to do is either uninstal them, or restore your computer through the control

panel.  If you do need them you could try using another flash encoding

program, encode it through that and then open the file in your flash

program.

There is also a program called "Super" that enables flash encoding.  It

sounds good, and I am going to check it out as it is a freeware.

If it works well I may use it to encode the video into flash:-

If interested, here is the link

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

I too have very little knowledge in computers, but I like the creative side

of using flash.

Hope this helps a little.

Let me know how you get on.