13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 6:55 PM by David Cabestany

Video size

djblev Level 1

I just rebuilt my system and reinstalled Adobe Production Premium CS4.  However, now when I capture new video or import existing video, the size shows up fine in the Source window but is too small in the Project window.  I seem to be able to fix it by checking "Scale to Frame Size", but I'm not sure what the repurcussions might be regarding quality or other issues.

The other question that's bothering me is why this is happening.  I've never had this issue before.  When I first installed CS4 in January the video was fine.  All of these existing clips that I've imported worked fine in PPro 1.5 as well as my earlier install of CS4.

Now I don't know why something has changed.  Was the "Scale to Frame Size" already checked in my previous installs and I just didn't realize it?

I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I can do to fix this.

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: Video size
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You're editing in the wrong sequence.  Choose a preset that matches your media.

• 2. Re: Video size
            djblev Level 1

Jim,

Thank you very much!  That seems to have fixed my problem.

I've not paid attention to the information when I set up a new sequence and have always just clicked on past that screen - at least not since the early days of PPro 1.5.  I'm not sure why it started giving me AVCHD, but I've changed it to match my video.

Thanks!

Dan

• 3. Re: Video size
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
              Eddie

• 4. Re: Video size
                djblev Level 1

Thanks, Eddie.

I came across that site that last night when searching the forums.  I plan to spend some time there.

I appreciate all the time you spend supporting this forum and your unselfishness in sharing your expertise.

Dan

• 5. Re: Video size
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

We all do. Eddie's work on the 'Pedia helps so very much. Of course the contributions from others here, and elsewhere provide him with much of the material, his efforts to organize it, make it easily accessible and then to share the links with users in need are invaluable.

Just my 02 ¢'s,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Video size
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

You're both welcome. Happy editing. Happy editor

Cheers
                    Eddie

• 7. Re: Video size
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I'm not sure why it started giving me AVCHD

Here's why.

I've not paid attention to the information when I set up a new sequence and have always just clicked on past that screen

Things have changed a bit in CS4.  You can now have many different types of sequences in the same project, so you need to set up each sequence just like you used to set up your old projects.

• 8. Re: Video size
                        djblev Level 1

Thanks, Hunt.

I agree with you.  The power of this and other forums comes from the willingness of so many people to share their experiences and expertise.  It's a wonderful thing.

Thanks,

Dan

• 9. Re: Video size
                          djblev Level 1

Thanks, Jim.

That analogy helps.  I'll have to take some time to understand this better when my current projects cool down a bit.  I pretty much slammed my new Production Premium CS4 onto my new system and have been off and editing ever since trying to meet some deadlines.  I jumped from PPro 1.5 to CS4 so I'm sure I'm not taking advantage of a number of features that have appeared since PPro 1.5.

Dan

• 10. Re: Video size

Hi, sorry I know this question is closed already but I have the same issue, I also took a look at the tutorials but it doesn't seem to work

I choose standard 24 dv ntsc (see image step 1),

I import an flv file into my sequence.

The source looks right on the left but the size of the video in the project window is smaller  (image step2)

I tried dragging the video to make it bigger but I don;t know if that is the right procedure as I will have to manually adjust each one of the clips on my sequence. (step 3)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

• 11. Re: Video size
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

What am I doing wrong?

Here's what.

I import an flv file into my sequence.

Flash is typically a final delivery format.  Premiere has a tendency to work best with native camera formats.  For working with .flv files, try the Flash program instead of Premiere.

• 12. Re: Video size
                                Eddie Lotter Level 4

as I will have to manually adjust each one of the clips on my sequence.

See: FAQ:How do I automatically scale clips to the Project Size?

Cheers
                                Eddie

• 13. Re: Video size
                                  David Cabestany Level 1

Hi everyone.

I'm having a similar issue, but it's not related to the sequence. I'm importing a QT file which dimensions are 1440 x 900 px. This is not the first one I import in this project and I hadn't had any problems until this very one. When I bring it on to my bin the file invariably enters at 720 x 450 px. I checked the original file to see if I was rendering at a wrong resolution, but when I check its properties and information directly in Quicktime I can see that the file is 1440 x 900, yet it enters at half size in Premiere, I already re rendered the file 4 times with no luck, I'm creating it from a screen recording made with Screen Flow, but again, all the previous one were exported and imported to PP without any problems.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I'm under a tight deadline here.

Best.

D.