9 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2009 4:32 PM by nobsy

strange load performance...

nobsy

Hi, folks!

My SWF-files don´t seem to load the way i want after publication. I usually build in a kind of loading bar to show loading process while loading, it should be visible right away, till the main movie starts playing. But the browser seems to wait, it doesn´t show anything, behaves like if it were waiting for the whole lot to be downloaded before it can show the very first frames, which lets my loading-bar look pretty senseless. Why the hell does it do that? Is there anything in the settings i don´t know about? Could be the problem somewhere else, and not within the Flash-environment?

Thanks a lot for any help!

• 1. Re: strange load performance...
          RossRitchey Level 4

There are a few things to check, and some different methods to avoid this.

A lot of times, especially when using components, the bulk of the file-size is in the very first frame.  The entire frame needs to get loaded before anything can display (thus the problem with your preloader not displaying).  To confirm this, do a Test Movie, then go to View/Bandwidth Profiler - and it will show you a chart breaking down your project file-size by frame.  You will likely notice a large column in the first frame, and significantly smaller ones after that.

To get rid of this, go through the library and check the Linkage settings on your clips.  (If you didn't set any of these yourself, then the culprits are the components you are using, as they automatically set it).  Right click on the item, select Linkage from the menu, and uncheck the "Export in First Frame" checkbox.  LEAVE "Export for Actionscript"CHECKED - as that is necessary for the component to work.  But, if you uncheck Export in First Frame, then the file size for that component will move to the frame the component is initialized on, rather than the first.  Most of the time, this fixes the issue you are experiencing.

If not, and likely for future use - I have found that it works better to separate the preloader into its own file.  Create a file that just loads your project, and tacks a preloader onto it.  This loader file will be very small, and therefore display immediately - which completely disregards the size of the rest of the project.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: strange load performance...
            nobsy Level 1

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I´ve checked all the issues you listed, but unfortunately the problem is still there. For some reason, the browser doesn´t do any streaming, it just holds on till the whole file´s been downloaded, even if called from a smaller movie (preloader). At the beginning, i thought it is something about IE not working properly, but i´ve tried four different browsers by now, and the problem seems to be common to all of them. Is it perhaps the server? Is there anything that could be changed there? I´ve seen some other sites with Flash content which apparently work beatifully, so I don´t think I´m having some sort of client-sided or local failure. Got any ideas?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: strange load performance...
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

checking ross' suggestion means you found nothing is being exported?  (and this is as2?)

and you have no embedded fonts?  if all yes, post a link to your embedding html.

• 4. Re: strange load performance...
                nobsy Level 1

I have objects being exported for action script in my original file, but certainly not in the first frame. You can have a look to it under http://www.norbarte.com/salvadore/salvadore_images.html

It is a work in progress, so it is not finished yet. The only working button at the moment is "architecture". If you click on that one, a movie (the "big one") loads on level1. At this point, the loading bar should appear showing loading process, but it doesn´t -it works beautifully when testing download performance locally from the flash authoring environment, but not under real circumstances, as far I can judge it. See what I´m talking about? Does it look any better when you click on the link? Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

• 5. Re: strange load performance...
                  kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

what makes you say they're not being exported in the first frame?

for that to be true, you must uncheck that "export in first frame" (easy to do and see when you right click on a library item) box AND you setup your classes to export beyond frame 1 (in your publish settings/flash/settings).

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: strange load performance...
                    nobsy Level 1

I´m dead sure nothing is being exported in the first frame, I´ve checked it carefully about fifty odd times, specially after you and ross called my attention upon it. If there were anything big there, it would show up on the bandwith profiler while checking download performance -it does if I deliberately check the "export in first frame" box as a try, the simulated download behaviour looks then very much like the one I´m experiencing "under real fire" though having taken entirely different settings...!! I´m going mad about this, guys...

What about the entries in the HTML-file:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="1000" height="590" align="middle">
                    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
                    <param name="movie" value="pict/salvadore_images.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#323642" /><param name="SCALE" value="exactfit" /><embed src="pict/salvadore_images.swf" width="1000" height="590" align="middle" quality="high" bgcolor="#323642" scale="exactfit" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
                    </object>

Anything wrong, anything missing?

Thanks again for any help!

• 7. Re: strange load performance...
                      RossRitchey Level 4

I don't know about kglad, but I just checked the link you posted.

The main SWF (which appears to just be the menubar, correct me if i'm mistaken) loads immediately on my connection.

When I click Architecture, as you stated, a load bar immediately appears, and the content loads as normal.  I'm not seeing any "strange" loading behaviors here.

Perhaps you are viewing a cached version when you look yourself?  Try clearing your internet history and viewing it again.

• 8. Re: strange load performance...
                        nobsy Level 1

Thank you, Ross!

It looks like if the file were performing perfectly well wenn called from your computer. That´s great, and very interesting indeed! It means the problem must be somewhere else. I don´t manage to crack it at the moment, clearing the internet history as you suggested doesn´t seem to be the answer, things won´t get any better. I guess I have some silly security settings hidden somewhere, or similar, I don´t know... feel at the moment like someone trying to turn his TV-set on forgetting it´s not plugged in!

Never mind, I appreciate your help and would certainly be grateful for any further hints!

• 9. Re: strange load performance...
                          nobsy Level 1

Well, just if anyone out there is interested, I finally managed to find the answer to this problem, it´s really stupid...

It was after a lot of time-consuming investigation that I found out my anti-virus software was causing the problem. It has a feature called "web guard", which checks the content of any file you´re trying to open by sort of storing it before actually sending it to the browser to be viewed, thus impeding any streaming effect. Really annoying!! After turning this feature off, my file works beautifully!

Well, perhaps this experience could be useful to anyone facing a similar problem...