7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 8:30 AM by Jim_Simon

Really like batch processing in Media Encoder

p6889k Level 1

This is just to share some of my positive experience for people looking into upgrading. I was little bit sceptical to upgrade to CS4 after reading a lot of the horror stories here, but I gave it a shot and am real happy with the upgrade. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't experienced any major issues, mostly just learning the new/changed features. The biggest reason I wanted to upgrade was the new Media Encoder batch processing and it turned out really great.

Ok, by mistake I just hit Ctrl+S and the message was posted before I finished. Please wait a few minutes, I'm adding more content now.

• 1. Re: Really like batch processing in Media Encoder
          the_wine_snob Level 9

While you're typing the rest, I'll reply. That feature was the biggest draw for me to upgrade to CS4. However, with some of the "questions" still on the floor about other aspects of CS4, I'm waiting in the wings. After much reading, I also think I would be best served to include both a new workstation, and a new OS to benifit from the 4.1.0 update, when it arrives. Still, batch processing is a big draw for me too - maybe soon?

Thanks for commenting. Look forward to the rest,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Really like batch processing in Media Encoder
            Jim_Simon Level 8

The return of proper Home/End shortcuts is reason enough for me.  Changing those was a foul-up on Adobe's part bigger than this 'new forum' debacle.

• 3. Re: Really like batch processing in Media Encoder
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You and several others have commented on this. Since I came to PrPro with ver. 2, I guess that I just didn't know any better. I'll have to give this change (to me) a whirl. I'll probably struggle with the "correct" function of those keys a bit, but will probably "see the light," sooner or later.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Really like batch processing in Media Encoder
                Jim_Simon Level 8

The first time you need to go to the beginning or end of a specific clip, especially a long one whose ends aren't visible at the current sequence zoom level, and realize you can do that with a single keystroke, you'll see the light.

• 5. Re: Really like batch processing in Media Encoder
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Normally, I use PageUp/PageDn for this, but quickly admit that with a bunch of Titles, Audio Clips, etc. it can require several PageUp's. With Track Targeting, I would have thought that the PageUp/PageDn *might* do this for just the Clip in the Targeted Track, but could be wrong. Is there still an easy way to go to the Head, or Tail of the Sequence (Ctrl-Home, maybe)? I do this quite a bit, especially in the Audio phase of an edit. Just curious.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Really like batch processing in Media Encoder
                    p6889k Level 1

Ok, here's the promised post, I had to retype it twice. First when I tried to post an edit I was told that I can no longer edit the message and lost everything I typed. Then I retyped it and right before posting my PC shut down (my ATI card is on its last lag) and have lost the text again.

Anyway, back to the post:

This is just to share some of my positive experience for people looking into upgrading. I was little bit sceptical to upgrade to CS4 after reading a lot of the horror stories here, but I gave it a shot and am real happy with the upgrade. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't experienced any major issues, mostly just learning the new/changed features. The biggest reason I wanted to upgrade was the new Media Encoder batch processing and it turned out really great.

Encoder Pros:
                    - Ability to batch encode multiple project and/or video files. I've tried tens of DV, HDV and H.264 encodes.
                    - Ability to pause encoding. Great when the encoder is still encoding and I need to do some CPU intensive work. I simply pause the encoder, do my work and then resume the encoder.
                    - Ability to encode standalone video files. I no longer need to create a dummy project just to encode one format to another. You can also use many different types of source files, not just the common editing formats such as DV or HDV, etc
                    - Stereo AC3 is included, you only need to buy 3rd party plug in for multichannel AC3
                    - Encoding quality seems the same as CS3. I can't see any loss or improvement.

Encoder Wish List:
                    - Ability to save/load multiple queues. Right now you can only save the most recent queue. I would like to be able to create multiple groups that can be recalled in the future for batch encoding to a different output format.
                    - Ability to drag and drop project files. Right now you can only drag and drop individual video files. With project files you have to go through multiple menus, which can be a lot clicks when adding say 50 projects. It could instead allow drag and drop where if the project only has one sequence, it would choose that sequence, if it had multiple sequences, it would show a drop down on the queue screen to pick a sequence or maybe it could automatically use all sequences
                    - Support for M2TS muxing. Right now it only supports M2T BlueRay muxing. As a workaround I export to raw audio and video streams and mux in free 3rd party application TsMuxer.
                    - Add support for VC1 source files
                    - Show video settings for the source files on the main queue screen. Right now you have to click "Settings" button on each file to view settings. You can see the output settings on the queue screen, but not the input settings.
                    - I would like to know whether DV AVI encoding supports Smart Encoding, meaning that unchanged frames should not be re-encoded. I can't find an equivalent of the "Recompress" setting from CS3.

I've read about a lot of people stating that it sometimes takes long time for the encoder to start encoding. I'm not sure about all the causes for this, but I've only noticed it when encoding from project sequences that didn't yet have audio conformed. For example a finished project for which you've deleted all cashed files. I believe the encoder then has to conform the audio first and then it starts encoding. I don't see this wait time for projects that already had audio conformed and cashed or for standalone video files directly imported into the encoder.

Regarding CS4 editing.
                    - Upgrading from CS3 projects to CS4 went smoothly. I wish there was a batch update feature to update multiple projects at the same time instead of opening one by one.
                    - I have no performance issues.
                    - The only problem I had was editing M-JPEG AVI files. This worked fine in CS3. In CS4 I had to install free 3rd party M-JPEG codec that someone on this forum recommended and that solved it.
                    - I really like that you can now define sequence settings after the project is created and each sequence can have its own settings. For example one sequence in PAL 4:3 and the other in NTSC 16:9. Unless I missed this in CS3, I don't think it existed.

In case you're interested in my PC setup: Vista 64bit, CPU Q6600, 8 GB RAM, ATI HD2600XT and ton of SATA harddrives (no raid)

• 7. Re: Really like batch processing in Media Encoder
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      Is there still an easy way to go to the Head, or Tail of the Sequence

If you change the keyboard shortcuts so that Home/End goes to the clip beginning or end, then you can still get to the sequence beginning or end by not having any clips selected.