28 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2009 10:57 AM by MurraySummers

html page "not found" error!

habanero jefe

I linked an html page to a rollover button from another page in Dreamweaver, but it's not showing up live (the page shows up when I previewed it). I've tried everything I know! It's their "Contact us" page. I mean, it's typed correctly in the properties inspector. Filezilla has all the updated info.

Why isn't it showing up?

Hab

• 1. Re: html page "not found" error!
          MurraySummers Level 8

Please post a link to the page and tell us which link to click on so that we can see what happens and look at the underlying code.

• 2. Re: html page "not found" error!
            habanero jefe Level 1

http://hickersonbrothers.com/

Click on "contact us"

Thank you for your response.

hab

• 3. Re: html page "not found" error!
              MurraySummers Level 8

habanero jefe wrote:

http://hickersonbrothers.com/

Click on "contact us"

Thank you for your response.

hab

The server tells all -

Not Found

The requested URL /Contact_us/contact_Hickerson_Brothers_Electric.html was not found on this server.

The file is not on the server in that location.  Can you post a link to that page so we can browse directly to it?  Did you upload it?

By the way, just so you'll know, open your page in Firefox, and increase your text size one or two ticks, but clicking on Ctrl-+ (the plus on the keypad).  That's the price that one pays for the using absolute positioning as a layout tool....

• 4. Re: html page "not found" error!
                habanero jefe Level 1

Thank you Murray.

I saw this page in the firefox preview, but that's it.

Here's what I think you're asking for:

http://hickersonbrothers.com/Contact_us/contact_Hickerson_Brothers_Electric.html

I didn't understand your comment about Absolute positioning and the point size. In Firefox the point size looked fine.

Am I an idiot?

hab

• 5. Re: html page "not found" error!
                  MurraySummers Level 8

http://hickersonbrothers.com/Contact_us/contact_Hickerson_Brothers_Electric.html

When you connect to the Remote site in DW, and look at the Files panel for the Remote files, do you see this file at that location?  Do you see this file there at all?  If you do, where?  If you don't, then upload it.

I didn't understand your comment about Absolute positioning and the point size. In Firefox the point size looked fine.

Open the page in Firefox.  Use View > Zoom > Zoom Text Only.  Then do Ctrl-+ a time or two.  Imagine that there are others who need to have the text enlarged to read it comfortably.  See what it does to your page?  The point is that this is a direct consequence of having used absolute positioning for your layout method.  Such use is not a best practice technique, but it is one that is often chosen by new or inexperienced users for its convenience without the understanding that it will cause much grief down the road....

• 6. Re: html page "not found" error!
                    habanero jefe Level 1

Hey Murray.

Thank you for you time on this. I really appreciate it.

The .html in question, was not in the remote site folder in the file folder -- like you suspected. I dragged the missing .html from the local files, to the proper folder in the remote site. I synchronized the remote site files before going back to Filezilla. But I still get the same error. I even quit Safari and emptied the cache thinking that might help. But it didn't.

As far as absolute positioning being a no no, I'll go back to square one and see what I missed (Lynda.com)

BTW, what point size are you seeing in Firefox?

hab

• 7. Re: html page "not found" error!
                      MurraySummers Level 8

The .html in question, was not in the remote site folder in the file folder -- like you suspected. I dragged the missing .html from the local files, to the proper folder in the remote site. I synchronized the remote site files before going back to Filezilla. But I still get the same error. I even quit Safari and emptied the cache thinking that might help. But it didn't.

Where in the local site do you see that particular file?  Can you give me the path to it from the root folder, please?  Also, does the filename correspond exactly to the name that has already been posted in this thread, especially with regard to upper/lower case?

As far as absolute positioning being a no no, I'll go back to square one and see what I missed (Lynda.com)

Lynda is not necessarily the best resource for this.  Try reading this - http://apptools.com/examples/pagelayout101.php

BTW, what point size are you seeing in Firefox?

I have no idea.  The point (pun not intended) though is - if it's too small I make it larger by using Ctrl-+, and when I do that to your page, the content in the various layers overflows and underflows and begins to overlap.  Two ticks up and the page is pretty much unusable.

• 8. Re: html page "not found" error!
                        habanero jefe Level 1

Hello Murray.

Me again.

Per your recommendation, I renamed the .html all in lowercase

(can't believe I did that)

And I can now see the .html in Firefox, but not Safari. ????

You had asked to see the root folder, and I'm sorry, but I don't

understand where to find it.

I am attaching two jpegs of screen shots that might help you help me.

Again, thank you for all your help.

Jeff

Also, if you think it would be appropriate you can call collect

• 9. Re: html page "not found" error!
                          MurraySummers Level 8

There were no screen shots attached!

Per your recommendation, I renamed the .html all in lowercase

(can't believe I did that)

And I can now see the .html in Firefox, but not Safari. ????

You had asked to see the root folder, and I'm sorry, but I don't

understand where to find it.

I am asking for the path to the root folder that is found in the site definition for this site. In DW, open Site Manager, select this site's name, and click Edit.  You'll find all of this information there.  I am also asking you to tell me where in the local site (when you look at the local file list in the Files panel) do you see this file located?  Clearly there is a path problem with your linking, and I'm trying to discover what that problem is.

• 10. Re: html page "not found" error!
                            habanero jefe Level 1

Hey Murray.

Thank you for getting back to me.

This is what's written in the Local root folder:

Macintosh HD:Project Folder:Websites:hickerson_brothers_electric:

In the local files, the .html (contact_hickerson_brothers_electric) is found:

Site - hickerson_brothers_electric (Machintosh HD:Project Folder:Websites:hickerson_brothers_electric)

Is it odd that this .html is showing in Firefox and not Safari?

Thanks again for walking me through this.

hab

• 11. Re: html page "not found" error!
                              MurraySummers Level 8

OK - let's step back a minute.

Is this the file to be linked?

That file is not on the server at that location.

When you look in DW's File panel, do you see that file?  Is it in a folder called "Contact_us"?

• 12. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                habanero jefe Level 1

Hey Murray.

Is this the file to be linked?

Yes

When you look in DW's File panel, do you see that file?  Is it in

a folder called "Contact_us"?

Yes

I also see it in the remote site(DW) -- in the same folder "Contact_us" folder.

hab

• 13. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                  habanero jefe Level 1

Just to confirm:

http://hickersonbrothers.com/Contact_us/contact_hickerson_brothers_electric.html

Is yes. Your version has upper & lower case.

hab

• 14. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                    MurraySummers Level 8
                                    Just to confirm:

http://hickersonbrothers.com/Contact_us/contact_hickerson_brothers_electric.html

Is yes. Your version has upper & lower case.

That file is not on the server, either as I had it or as you have it here.

• 15. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                      habanero jefe Level 1

Hey Murray.

I know I have to believe you on this point, but why can I view this html on Firefox if it's not on the server?

hab

• 16. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                        habanero jefe Level 1

Correction:

I cannot see it in Firefox. That was local host (DW)

Sorry.

But I swear, I see contact_hickerson_brothers_electric everywhere I'm supposed to; from the local folders thru Filezilla.

If it's not on the server, I'm more confused than ever.

hab

>

• 17. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                          MurraySummers Level 8
                                          Sorry.

But I swear, I see contact_hickerson_brothers_electric everywhere I'm supposed to; from the local folders thru Filezilla.

If it's not on the server, I'm more confused than ever.

hab

>

When you see it in Filezilla, what is the path to it?

When you see it in your local site, what is the path to it?

What is the link on the page to it?

All three of those MUST be the same.

• 18. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                            habanero jefe Level 1

Alright.

In DW, the link in Properties Inspector reads:

/Contact_us/contact_hickerson_brothers_electric.html

In Files Folder - Local Files - Contact_us folder, it reads:

contact_hickerson_brothers_electric.html

... as it is in Files - Remote site (same path)

I'm going to try to attach this jpeg of Filezilla just to see if

that look alright. But I did check, and everything reads the

same where it's supposed to.

hab

• 19. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                              MurraySummers Level 8

Select the file in your local site, and PUT it (using Dreamweaver).

• 20. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                                habanero jefe Level 1

I "Put" the .html and it's still not showing up (I emptied the cache in Safari)

But I noticed in DW - Files - Remote Site - the first folder in the window is my Machintosh HD folder. That still sounds local.

And in Filezilla, I don't see a folder called: public_html on the "remote site" side,

that where I put everything on other sites I've created. And that doesn't look right.

Could the problem be either one of these?

hab

• 21. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                                  MurraySummers Level 8

habanero jefe wrote:

I "Put" the .html and it's still not showing up (I emptied the cache in Safari)

But I noticed in DW - Files - Remote Site - the first folder in the window is my Machintosh HD folder. That still sounds local.

And in Filezilla, I don't see a folder called: public_html on the "remote site" side,

that where I put everything on other sites I've created. And that doesn't look right.

Could the problem be either one of these?

hab

You are seeing "Macintosh HD" in your Files panel on the REMOTE side of things?

What is in the fields called "FTP Host" and "Host directory" of your Remote site definition?

• 22. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                                    habanero jefe Level 1

Hey Murray.

<< You are seeing "Macintosh HD" in your Files panel on the REMOTE side of things? >>

Yes. In DW Files folder. Remote Site side.

It's:

Machintosh HD:Project Folder: Websites:hickerson_brothers_electric:Contact_us:contact_hickerson_brothers_electric.html

<< What is in the fields called "FTP Host" and "Host directory" of your Remote site definition?>>

I'm having difficulty locating my Remote site definition. I'm sorry.

Should I just reload the whole site?

hab

• 23. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                                      MurraySummers Level 8
                                                      I'm having difficulty locating my Remote site definition. I'm sorry.

In DW, SITE | Manage Sites > select site name > Edit > (Advanced tab) > Remote.

• 24. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                                        habanero jefe Level 1

Hey Murray.

<< Manage Sites > select site name > Edit > (Advanced  tab) > Remote. >>

This was the first place I went to. But I could find the "FTP Host" and "Host directory" info you were asking me about. At least not by name.

Here's what I see though:

In the "Site definition for hickerson_brothers_electric" window, I have all of my options down the left side (local info, remote info, Testing Server...)

I clicked Remote Info, giving me:

Access: Local/Network

Remote folder: Machintosh HD:Project Folder:Websites:Hickerson_brothers_electric: (why is H capitalized here?)

Below that I have 3 boxes with "Maintain synch. info." being the only box checked.

hab

• 25. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                                          MurraySummers Level 8

This was the first place I went to. But I could find the "FTP Host" and "Host directory" info you were asking me about. At least not by name.

Here's what I see though:

In the "Site definition for hickerson_brothers_electric" window, I have all of my options down the left side (local info, remote info, Testing Server...)

I clicked Remote Info, giving me:

Access: Local/Network

Remote folder: Machintosh HD:Project Folder:Websites:Hickerson_brothers_electric: (why is H capitalized here?)

So - your remote site is actually on your hard drive?  Wouldn't you want this to be on the website?  That's why you couldn't find that information I asked for.  Your site is not properly configured.  Your Access: should be FTP, and then you would enter your FTP connection information.  When you do that, and then connect to the remote site, tell me what folder names you see there, please.

(all of your uploads have been going to your Mac, not to the website!)

• 26. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                                            habanero jefe Level 1

Hey Murray.

What I've been doing for this website and another, was using Filezilla for uploading. Which maybe was a mistake.

Right now, when I change the access From "Local/Network" to FTP, I get an error stating:

An FTP error occurred -- cannot make connection to host. The remote host cannot be found.

And I have nothing showing in the remote site side in DW.

But it still doesn't make sense as to why I can't get .html uploaded.

I've done everything I know, and it still isn't working. Should I use DW for this?

hab

• 27. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                                              habanero jefe Level 1

I found the problem:

In the code in DW:

<a href="Contact_Us/contact_hickerson_brothers_electric.html"

the "u" in the word "us" needed to be capitalized when it wasn't.

It took staring at the code over the weekend before I could see the problem.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction earlier with the upper&lower case issue. That's what did it.

Thank you for hanging in there with me.

Now I can rebuild the site correctly!

hab

• 28. Re: html page "not found" error!
                                                                MurraySummers Level 8

Casing is an aspect of your filename conventions that needs some attention and forethought. Unix servers are case sensitive.  Windows servers are not.  Good luck.