4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 8:29 AM by Mylenium

error in exporting photoshop file

magiegabel Level 1

We have several copies of After Effects being used in the office.  Both myself and another user have encountered a problem saving as photoshop layers.  It gets 87% or so into it and then gives the error; "error in exporting photoshop file" in the info window.  Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: error in exporting photoshop file
          TimeRemapper Level 4

What's going on in the comp that you're trying to export?

Lots of precomps (nested comps only go back 5 steps as layer groups)? Effects? Is it a complex 3D composition?

Can you post some more info about your setup?

• 2. Re: error in exporting photoshop file
            magiegabel Level 1

My setup does have a couple of precomps, lights and a lot of solids set in 3d space.  My coworker's comp had none of these.  His was a simple 2d animation.  I systematicly went through the layers that I though might be problematic and deleted them.  I got mine to work by deleting a null layer that had several expression controls on it that linked to various solids.  I got my co-workers to work by putting the project on a third machine and it came out fine. I've never had a problem with this until CS4.  Are there know issues with certain filters, 3d layers, etc.? Anyhow, Thanks for responding so quickly, but I got it worked out.

• 3. Re: error in exporting photoshop file
              TimeRemapper Level 4

Right on. Glad you got it worked out.

I could see how expressions might cause things to go wonky, but aside from that, I'm not sure.

I really haven't used that feature in CS4 yet (although, I have used it many times in CS3).

Is there version parity between Photoshop and AE (both CS4)?

I'm not even sure if that matters. Maybe someone with a better idea of what's going on under the hood can chime in.

• 4. Re: error in exporting photoshop file
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't think expressions should have any influence on teh matter. They are just another way of formulating an animation stream value just like keyframes. Icould think of a few things:

- The new pixel aspect ratio handling in CS4. Due to the conversion, something may happen to the source footages.

- Layer styles. this may cause a "cyclic use" of the Photoshop engine. Some of that stuff has changed quite a bit for CS4 to accomodate Ps Live 3D and teh new adjustment layer model.

- Hardware accelerated effects. CS4 passes through OpenGL acceleration through all comps. Using an effect that uses it and happens to think it doesn#t need to fall back into software only mode, may cause a hiccup.

- MediaCore. Similar to the previous, it uses hardware acceleration and may show weird behaviors, varying solely based on differences in graphics cards.

In particular for the last two points I would think it is what makes the difference between your systems. One of them has not enough juice on OpenGL, so it's "safe". I'd definitely investigate along those lines.

Mylenium