7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 8:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Global Unlink?

Rizzer

Anyway to globally unlink audio from it's video counterpart? As soon as I have more than one clip selected, the unlink option grays-out.  FCP has a nice button on the timeline that disconnects all media from it's links.  Is there anything like this in Premiere that i haven't found yet or should I be posting this in the "Future requests" section?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Global Unlink?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rizzer,

Not that I am aware of. May I ask, for what purpose? Reason is, there may be more ways to "skin this cat," than what you are doing. If, for instance, one wishes to eliminate the Audio, maybe a Mute on that Track would suffice, or something else. Also, as I do not have CS4, I might not be aware of some easy way to do what you're asking for. Others can step in, and help out there.

A Feature Request would probably be a good idea. It'll obviously be too late for 4.1.0 update, but who knows what might come out, prior to CS5?

Hunt

• 2. Re: Global Unlink?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd also ask why you want to do this.

• 3. Re: Global Unlink?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Either use a nested sequence and unlink the audio there, or just disable the audio track.

• 4. Re: Global Unlink?
                Rizzer Level 1

Hi guys,

I do a lot of .mxf editing which imports 4 tracks of audio.  Depending on who was shooting I sometimes need only one track, but sometime i use all four depending on the circumstances. When editing, i sometimes need more audio than video (overlap) or vice versa.  I really love in FCP how I can go into an unlinked mode and move stuff around freely.  At any time i can click one button and all tracks re-link to there partner(s). 

It is a small thing, but over the course of a day, week, year - the extra button clicking really adds up.  This may not be anything that some people will ever need - but for me, it would be extremely useful and efficient

Thanks again

• 5. Re: Global Unlink?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the clarification. Though not on a global basis, you can Alt-click on the particular Audio Clip and freely move it about, but that might be exactly what you want. I'd do the Feature Request, as it should not be THAT difficult for Adobe coders to implement.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Global Unlink?
                    Rizzer Level 1

Hunt,

You are the man!  That is exactly what I needed!  I will still do the feature request, but until then you have improved my

efficiency greatly!  I have been using Premiere a long time, yet I somehow manage to miss all the little nuances.

What a great community we have here!

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Global Unlink?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that the idea worked. Just trying to give back to a community that has helped me for these many years.

Good luck,

Hunt