4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2009 10:13 AM by the_wine_snob

Export Error Message

JAG1988

Premiere Elements 4.0, Windows XP Pro.

I've started working through the Classroom in a Book for Premiere Elements 4. I get to the end of the second chapter and it instructs me to share the movie as a WMV file. It goes through the first pass, then returns the Export Error message

"Adobe Premiere Elements failed to return a video frame. Canceling operation."

I tried to export an AVI file and got the following message

"Error compiling moving. Unknown error."

I've looked through the FAQs and run a search in the forum for "wmv" but nothing quite matches the problem I'm seeing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JAG

• 1. Re: Export Error Message
          Paul_LS Level 4

One reason for PE4 giving this error message is if there is a gap in your timeline, for even a single frame. Expand the timeline and use page down key to go to the end of every clip in succession looking for any place where there is nothing on any track. Note that having to press page down twice is an indication of clips not butted up against each other even if you do not see it visually.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export Error Message
            JAG1988 Level 1

I looked at it and I'm guessing that I either missed a step or did something wrong. The audio clip they provided was longer than the video clip. Would this cause the error message? I tried to cut the audio clip, but still got the same message. I'll run through the exercise again and see what happens.

Thanks,

JAG

• 3. Re: Export Error Message
              Paul_LS Level 4

You could try to make sure that the audio does not exceed the timeline. If you need it to, try to use a black matte (click the New Item icon at the top of the project Media Bin and select Color Matte) to fill in any spaces in your video timeline. Either that or lower the opacity of the video clip. At least then you can eliminate this as the cause, even if it does not fix it.

• 4. Re: Export Error Message
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, a shorter Video/longer Audio constitutes a "gap." I'm surprised that the provided Assets did not match, but "stuff" happens. This can really play havoc when Burning to a DVD. It is a big issue with DVD authoring programs, like Adobe Encore. The Video MUST be equal to, or longer than the Audio.

For your exercise, go to the New icon in the Project Panel. Create Black Video and drag it to the end of your Video Track. Expand/contract the Duration of the Black Video as is needed. As Audio is measured in Audio Units and not TimeCode (hrs.;mins;secs;frames), I'd go one frame longer with the Black Video, just to be on the safe side.

Now, for finding other "gaps," I zoom the Timeline to the frame-view level. Start at the beginning of my movie and use the PageDn key to step through the entire Timeline, one Clip at a time. Often, one can see a gap, but watching the CTI (Current Time Indicator), as it moves Clip to Clip will also give you a clue. The CTI should jump to the next Clip. If there is any "pause," or "hiccup" in it, you can bet that there is a "gap." If you have both Audio & Video on the Timeline the feature to "Delete and Remove Gaps" will not work, because of the other source Clips. Depending on your Video Source Clips, you can do one of several things to remove the "gap." You can drag each following Clip (or "lasso" all following Clips, so you've Selected everything) to close the "gap." You can expand the Duration of one, or both of the Clips (only if there is more material in these), you can add Black Video, but if you do, you'll probably want to do a Dip-to-Black Transition there, or you'll have a black "flash."

As a general rule, I always start my Sequence with Black Video, about 2 sec. longer than my Audio, and end with Black Video, about 2 sec. longer than my Audio. Now, I do the former, because I'm doing DD 5.1 SS Audio in PrPro and many set-top players need up to 2 sec. to lock onto Surround Sound Tracks. I do the latter, because I want to know that I've definitely got more Video, than Audio. I use Dip-to-Black from/to each of these.

Good luck,

Hunt