• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In reference to a duplicated layout

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2009 Apr 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a duplicated layout is created are changes made to the primary layout, after duplicating, reflected in the duplicated layout?  I swear if I would think of this stuff before hand my life would be a piece of cake. I'm curious. If I would have to make updates in both layouts or if changes made in one are reflected in the other.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Nope. Just like when you make a copy from a copier. Change the original all you want and nothing is reflected in the copy!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking that since both SSL's are within the same project that the only difference is that one has the conditional build applied and the other does not BUT that they are essentially one and the same so therefore changes in one are reflected in the other. Is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're talking about changes to the attributes in the SSL dialog, not to the help content? If so, Rick's got the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then since I'm not entirely finished with the help can I delete the duplicated layout that I created and re-do when I'm ready to roll?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there's a bit of confusion.

You can generate your SSLs anytime to update them with new help content.  If you like, you can wait until you're done writing to generate the old SSL and the new (duplicated) one.  But the output files will be updated with new content as many times as you generate those SSLs (click Finish).

Clicking Finish isn't a once-and-for-all action.  You can do it as many times as needed to keep your outputs up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Renee

Think of your RoboHelp Projects as you might think of a restaurant. The project contains all that is possible to order just as the kitchen contains all the possible ingredients.

Think of each layout as you might think of an entrée on the menu. It is a specific combination created from among the possibilities.

So duplicating the layout is like the Restauranteur duplicating a menu item. Oh, for this entrée we have Green Beans and Mashed Potatoes as side dishes. The one we copied comes with Corn and Squash. See the similarity? You aren't changing anything in the kitchen, just what is served.

Does that maybe help better visualize it?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused.  I have my project and within the project I have the SSL folder containing only Web Help.  I have created the duplicate layout titled Web Help Quiz (truly - my imagination knows no bounds!) but have not yet generated.  Once I generate this duplicate layout I expect to see Web Help and Web Help Quiz within the projects SSL folder - is this correct?  If I make changes in the Primary layout (which is Web Help) will or won't those changes be reflected in Web Help Quiz?  Because if they are not I'd prefer to duplicate the primary layout after I've completed any additional changes.  Am I making sense? I'm getting the impression that I cannot make changes in one layout that will be reflected in the other.  Since I have duplicated the layout but haven't generated I'm thinking I can just delete the duplicated layout and then duplicate (re-do, mulligan, do over) when I'm completely finished in the main project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Renee

rccrcoleman wrote:

I am confused.  I have my project and within the project I have the SSL folder containing only Web Help.  I have created the duplicate layout titled Web Help Quiz (truly - my imagination knows no bounds!) but have not yet generated.  Once I generate this duplicate layout I expect to see Web Help and Web Help Quiz within the projects SSL folder - is this correct?

That is correct. You should see a WebHelp Quiz folder in your SSL.

rccrcoleman wrote:

If I make changes in the Primary layout (which is Web Help) will or won't those changes be reflected in Web Help Quiz?

Where did you make the changes? In the Layout properties or the topics? If you make changes in the topics, assuming they are included in the layout you would see the changes. If you made the changes in the layout (for example, turning off the TOC) you won't see those changes in the "Quiz" layout.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'm following along now.  Changes I make to topics will be reflected in both Web Help and Web Help Quiz ( each will be generated separately and published to a different folder). However if I make a change to either layouts properties, for example say I want to use a different index or TOC in one that type of change would not be reflected in the other layout.  If this is what you've both been trying to tell me then I think the sun is out, if not then it's still foggy and overcast in Clevleland.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, I think it's sunny in Cleveland today!

With widely scattered darkness this evening.

Glad you got it sorted. Out of curiosity, did the restaurant analogy help with this? I'm always looking for new and improved ways to convey information.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As much as I enjoyed the restaurant analogy it was the following statement you made that put me on the path to enlightenment:

"Where did you make the changes? In the Layout properties or the topics? If you make changes in the topics, assuming they are included in the layout you would see the changes. If you made the changes in the layout (for example, turning off the TOC) you won't see those changes in the "Quiz" layout."

Thanks to both of you for sticking with me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Break out the sunscreen! You're right on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp