21 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 6:44 AM by billmatthiesen

Poor quality of all exported media

Techshoot

Just started using a brand new Edit PC with PP CS4 and Matrox RTX.2    Imported AVI is very good quality and sharp when viewed on the timeline and on the output monitor, however, when I export any clips, the quality of the video appears flat and lifeless, as if the contrast has been reduced and the brightness increased.  The exported files are played on Windows media player on both this machine and several others - the result is the same.

I want to export to windows media and have used 'PAL widescreen source - high quality download' preset and windows media 9 (and several others) but the result is the same whatever I use and however I tweak the settings.  Also, if export using Microsoft AVI instead, or mpeg1 or mpeg 2, the result is always the same when I play the exported clip in windows media player.

I could convert the avi file through an external encoder to wmv, but a) I want to export direct from the timeline and b) the exported avi file has the same poor quality and c) that would be defeating the object of having CS4.

System is Vista, 4gb ram, 2 x quad core Xeon processors, ATI Radeon card, MAtrox RTX.2 v4.00x/  Prem pro CS4

Any ideas?  would the update to Matrox 4.01 help? What am I missing?  My old prem pro 1.5 exported crisp quality video every time.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Sry if this sounds anti Matrox; but they have a ton of bugs running with Pr CS4.

Fiirst try a new project Not using the Matrox presets; all native Pr presets and see if the results are different.

• 2. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
            Techshoot Level 1

OK thanks I'll try it tomorrow nd post outcome.

Many thanks

• 3. Re: Poor quality of all exported media

Hello Techshoot,

What is the input file and project dimensions ? Also is this issue seen with other AVIs as well ?

Regards,

Abhinav

• 4. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                Techshoot Level 1

Hi,  the input file is PAL widescreen AVI  720 x 576 and yes, it affects export to avi also.

• 5. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

AVI is a wrapper, what codec is used and how did you "import" the file. Did you not capture?

• 6. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                    Techshoot Level 1

The file was captured from a sony DV device.  When I exported to windows media, I used the preset  'PAL widescreen source to high quality download'  and used codec 'windows media video 9'    I have tried all the other codecs too and the result is always the same.

When I used the microsoft AVI export, I used the preset 'PAL DV widescreen'  and the codec  DV PAL - again with the same result - a flat appearance.

I can convert the original avi through a third party converter and the result is perfect, so that tends to rule out the machine/card etc - and I have also started a new project using only PAL DV settings - bypassing MAtrox - the result is still the same.

Another odd thing is that if I import one of these clips that I have already exported as a .wmv,  - when it appears on the timeline, the quality is perfect!!  How can that be??

Any suggestions welcome.

• 7. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      How can that be??

Because something else is getting in your way, something you did not yet mention explicitly.

If you want to get to the bottom of this, provide details. Non-specific remarks like an ATI card in use do not help, saying - for instance - an ATI Radeon HD4870 with driver version 9.04 makes much more sense. You left out far too many details for troubleshooting this issue.

How to ask a question effectively...

• 8. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

Ive heard of soft pal exports from a couple other users.  Sounds to me like you are doing everythig right, assuming you are testing outside the matrox presets.  That just adds another layer of troubleshooting that most of us cant duplicate.

Try this seemingly crazy experiment:

Drop a source clip on a pal timeline and using motion; move the clip Down in the frame 1 pixel.   Now do a test export and see if its still fuzzy.

• 9. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                          Techshoot Level 1

Hi Curt - many thanks for that tip - I seem to recall seeing something similar in another thread regarding a similar issue.  I will  try this tomorrow and post reply.

I tried a clip in Windows Movie Maker of all things today, just as a sanity check - a simple edit with a couple of fade in/outs, exported it as DVD quality wmv file and the result was perfect.

Thanks again.

• 10. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                            Techshoot Level 1

I have tried the 'dropping one pixel idea' but its still the same.  I have changed all the capture settings I can just in case, but to no avail either.

I have also exported using non interlace and also reversed the fields - none of which alters the output in respect of the problem.

Any further input/suggestions very welcome.

Frank

• 11. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Due to lack of details that were requested and not given, this is the mind reader: [edited out unnecessary abusive language]. Your material is not suitable for editing, you are using the wrong codec, your PC is not up to the task, you have all kind of processes running that should not be running, your .... is causing problems. Etc.

If you don't give details, you can't get good answers. End of story.

• 12. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

I can convert the original avi through a third party converter and the result is perfect, so that tends to rule out the machine/card etc

Actually that somewhat validates the idea that Matrox is your issue.  Try capturing with another program, Scenalyzer or WinDV.  Plug your Firewire into a different port, not the Matrox card.  Then bring that newly captured video into a non-Matrox project.  See what happens.

• 13. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                                  Techshoot Level 1

Hi Jim,

many thanks for that  - I'll try it as soon as poss.  I have experimented with various import settings but to no avail, so will definately try that.

Thanks again for your constructive reply.

Frank

• 14. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                                    Techshoot Level 1

Hi Jim,

I meant to add, that in my earlier post "I can convert using a third party encoder.... etc..."  the 'original' avi was captured via premiere.  This is also the same file I used when I converted it through windows movie maker, which was also a good result.  It made me think that the capture part of the process must be ok as it appeared good in these two programs and also on the timeline.

But anyway, it may well be the problem so I will try capturing direct to the PC firwire port and import into a non matrox project tomorrow (Mon) & will post results.

Many thanks once again.

Frank

• 15. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                                      Techshoot Level 1

Just to add: system specs:  Vista 32 bit /4gb ram/ 2 x Xeon 2.7ghz quad core cpu's / 2 1tb sata drives + 1 500gb system drive/ATI Radeon HD3870 (will check this)/ Prem pro CS4 build 4.01 / Matrox rtx.2 version 4.00127 /   DV capture is from either Sony GDV300 deck or Sony Z1 camera.

I normally edit using matrox preset SD/PAL/widescreen.  Im in UK so everything is PAL based

Frank

• 16. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                                        Techshoot Level 1

Hi Jim,

have captured a small length of footage directly through the PC firewire port using winDV.  I imported it into a non - matrox sequence then exported it as a .wmv file and guess what........the result is fine!!

I then captured the same footage via premiere/matrox card and the exported file is burred and flat as before.  Also, if I render this clip (captured thru prem), it immediately goes flat and blurry even before export.

I then imported the 'clean' clip into a matrox project and exported it and it's blurred and flat.

There is a software update for RTX.2 - 4.01 but according to the release, this just adds a matrox export option to the export menu.  Do you know if the update may solve my problem?  I'm a bit loathed to do it as it requires a full uninstall and I'm concerned that it will upset other premiere settings.

MAny thanks

Frank

• 17. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

This shows that Matrox may very well be the culprit.

• 18. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            Do you know if the update may solve my problem?

Sorry, I don't know.  I got so tired of Matrox issues I just removed it completely from my system.  In my experience, Premiere just plain works better without Matrox.

• 19. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                                              billmatthiesen

I've been having similar issues with mpeg2 encodes in CS4, working in ntsc standard definition -- also on a hot new machine with the RTX2, Vista 64, 12 gigs ram, etc. In my tests I can get a sharper encode either using PP 1.5 on an older machine, or using a freebie stand-alone encoding program called WinFF.

In my case, I've actually been able to get sharp encodes in the matrox avi format --  those turn out fine for me. But once it goes to the AME for mpeg encoding, then it gets fuzzy. I've tried the 1 pixel offset, but that hasn't really made much of a difference.

The thing I like about the matrox card is that it gives me video output to an external monitor from the timeline as well as the source window within Premier CS4 ... and I assume it probably speeds up some of the rendering. I just don't feel like I'm getting a really good quality image when I'm using the windows media player or other players on my computer monitors. So I really rely on my external CRT monitor to judge sharpness, density and colors, as well as titles.

What are you doing for output monitoring, now that you've pulled out the RTX2 card? I've been wondering what other options there might be that would work well with CS4.

You might check out WinFF -- it seems very fast and so far it's been working well for me. I'm not in PAL. so that might make a difference ...

On the brightness issue, it might be worth checking to see whether you have the latest video display card drivers -- another user found that made a big difference in image quality. However, I don't think in his case that it was related to his mpeg encodes.

Bill Matthiesen

• 20. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

What are you doing for output monitoring, now that you've pulled out the RTX2 card?

Since I only work with DV, a Firewire pass-through from my camera to my monitor does the trick.

• 21. Re: Poor quality of all exported media
                                                  billmatthiesen Level 1

Thanks, Jim ... I'll try that.

Bill