10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2009 8:45 AM by the_wine_snob

text overlay makes video blurry

unc417

I'm experimenting with ways to put text over the video for a few seconds, when I do that it makes the video blurry. Am I doing something wrong?

• 1. Re: text overlay makes video blurry
          Paul_LS Level 4

Did you try hitting the Enter key on your keyboard to render the clip... the final export will look more like the rendered video.

• 2. Re: text overlay makes video blurry
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As Paul states, the Program Monitor is an emulation of the footage. It gets pretty close, when one has DV-AVI Type II files as a source, but any Effect, superimposition or Title will change this to a very rough approximation. When you Render your footage, the approximation gets much closer to what you will get. To see more critically, Render (red line above the Timeline will turn green), and change the Program Monitor display from Fit to 100%, or even 200%. That gets you pretty close to the quality that you will see, when the file is Exported.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: text overlay makes video blurry
              unc417 Level 1

Thanks. I'm sure that's it, that didn't occurr to me.

I left it rendering as wmv overnight, when I got to the computer this morning it was stuck at 5 seconds left with an unknown error. I'm trying again now.

• 4. Re: text overlay makes video blurry
                the_wine_snob Level 9

WMV compression does take a long time, unfortunately, and a lot of CPU power. You say that the Project was stuck. Did PE still function, otherwise, or was it locked up? Was the computer locked up? Did you get any specific error messages, or just non-response? Can you do an Export of your Project to a DV-AVI file? This would be for a test of the Project. If it does Export properly, you might try creating a new Project, and Importing that DV-AVI into it. Then try the WMV Export of that "test" file. That will likely only speed things up a tiny bit, but might let the Export complete.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: text overlay makes video blurry
                  unc417 Level 1

I tried it again without changing anything it and it worked fine...

Now my next question about the text overlay.

I can't seem to find a way to make the text stay there for more than a few seconds.  If I right-click, timestretch I can change it from it's default of 5 secs, but it doesn't change what it does in the video?? thanks

• 6. Re: text overlay makes video blurry
                    N9JCR Level 2

Make sure you are in Timeline mode (not sceneline), then use the mouse to point to the right edge of the text clip you want to change (the cursor should change to a " ] ").  Click and drag right to make it longer or left to make it shorter.  If need be, you can drag the whole clip left/right to move it if you need to.

Bob

• 7. Re: text overlay makes video blurry
                      unc417 Level 1

When I add the text it does not create a separate item in the timeline that I can select.  It's like the text is added within the existing file if that makes sense.  I've seen others do it in a way, not using the automatic text animation, where it creates an item in the timeline and they can make it fade in and out as opposed to just out for me because there isn't a animation template that fades in and out, but I can't remember how they did it and I can't find it by looking around.

• 8. Re: text overlay makes video blurry
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You need to be in timeline, not sceneline mode in order to see the title. It's on an upper video track, and you may need to scroll up the timeline to see it.

• 9. Re: text overlay makes video blurry
                          N9JCR Level 2

Thanks Steve - didn't think about that possibility.  Here's another suggestion:  click TIMELINE in the menu and select "delete empty tracks".   If you need extra tracks later you can always add them back.  Also right click on an empty track and select "track size", and select "small".    These changes will make the timeline more compact vertically and you should be able to see your video and the title clip right above it.

Bob

• 10. Re: text overlay makes video blurry
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

There are two ways to "animate" text in a Title in PE. One is to use one of the Animation presets (only animates one line of text, not others), and to use Keyframing to accomplish most of the same animations, but with lots more control. Personally, I always use the latter, for the control, though with a bit more "hand work."

Remember, if you make an edit to an existing Title (used in your Project on the Timeline) those edits appear in each instance of THAT Title. If you wish to create other Titles, based on that one, you can then edit it, without affecting the original. In PrPro's Titler, there is a "Create New Title Based on... " and that is what I use, to create a new Title (though based on the original one). As I do not use PE that much, I'm not sure exactly how one does this most effectively. Others will have to fill in that blank.

Good luck,

Hunt