7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2009 9:27 PM by Jim_Simon

Editor for home with PP CS4 @ work

I would like a editor at home for basic family stuff and cannot afford PP CS4 at home. Would elements be the way to go or does anyone use something different? Is elements the same program with stuff removed or is it totally different? I have been using Ulead/Corel VideoStudio and it's OK at best and am looking at switching.

• 1. Re: Editor for home with PP CS4 @ work
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Back with PE3, it was basically PrPro "lite." With PE4, the interface changed rather dramatically. It is more of a "big-button" program now. This is not necessarily bad, as many find the simplification a good thing. Download the trial and give it a whirl. Things are named differently and placed differently, than in PrPro. You may like it better, but I do 99% of my work in PrPro, because I like the interface much better (plus the extra features and power).

Back a bit, I posted an article comparing PE4 and PrPro2, but I doubt that it survived the forum changeover. I believe that this was in the old PrPro2 forum, but maybe it was rolled into the new "PrPro3 and earlier" forum.

Now, if you have a licensed copy of PrPro at work, you are allowed to install it on a home laptop, so long as both copies are not opened at the same time. Obviously, this will be easy, as you are either at home, or at work.

If you are working with AVCHD files, you might find that Sony's Vegas (the newest big version) is better, especially if you have a 64-bit OS.

You also might want to post in the "Community" fora at Muvipix.com, as many folk there have PrPro and PE. Also, if you have specific questions, don't hesitate to post them, and I, and others, will attempt to address each one.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Editor for home with PP CS4 @ work
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Now, if you have a licensed copy of PrPro at work, you are allowed to install it on a home laptop, so long as both copies are not opened at the same time.

Well...if Dennis owns the company, then maybe.  But if he's just an employee, that might be considereed stealing, especially since he's already admitted it's for personal use, not work related.

• 3. Re: Editor for home with PP CS4 @ work
              Level 1

Well...if Dennis owns the company, then maybe.  But if he's just an employee, that might be considereed stealing, especially since he's already admitted it's for personal use, not work related.

I am an employee. I am getting a new laptop that I could have them install the software on if it is allowed in the license. I could justify it as doing some basic work when not at the good machine in the office...might be stretching it a bit...

• 4. Re: Editor for home with PP CS4 @ work
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm no lawyer, but it's my guess that if it's a company owned Laptop, and you do have legitimate company editing to do on it at home, and the company loads the program on for you, then you're probably good to go.  However, if you own the Laptop, and you're doing personal work, then you should probably buy your own copy.

• 5. Re: Editor for home with PP CS4 @ work
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good point. As I own the company (mine, not Dennis'), I had not considered that potential problem. The company's IT department *should* be able to sort out the licensing issue with Adobe.

Dennis,

If you are planning on doing any work on a PrPro Project, remember that it will not Import into PE. Now, PrPro does a better, though not perfect job, with Importing PE Projects. If that is even remotely a consideration, you will want PrPro on both machines.

Good luck, and let us know what your IT department tells you,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Editor for home with PP CS4 @ work
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The company has the right to install the software on two different machines according to the license agreement. If the company is willing to allow one employee to install the second license on his machine, whatever his purpose of use is, I think this employee does not need to buy a separtate version of the program. AFAIK there is no limitation for the second copy as to the purpose of that installation, whether that is professional or personal. That is a decision the employer has to make. My advise would be to get the agreement from the employer in writing and use the second license. Whether the IRS would see that as a taxable advantage, I do not know.

• 7. Re: Editor for home with PP CS4 @ work
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

That interpretation starts getting pretty close to the idea of Billy allowing his friend Johnny to install a copy using Billy's license, an idea I would believe Adobe frown's upon.