9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2009 9:47 AM by zionistbot

Render improvments

What is the best way to improve my rendering? I am rendering 45secs, 15 layers, some effects, Mac G5, CS3 and 20 seconds took 24hrs to render?

• 1. Re: Render improvments
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Depending on the frame size of your comp, what effects you have applied, and your render pipeline, 24 hours is entirely possible.

Did you set up your project carefully to help optimize the pipeline?

For example, if you have 20 layers that you want to apply a Gaussian blur to, did you apply the effect 20 times, or precompse and apply the effect once?

What's the nature of your source footage (if any)?

To what format/codec are you rendering?

Are you rendering, or working off of, a network? If so, what is the network speed?

G5's are getting older these days (not to say that they're ancient, but certainly not spring chickens).

Are you running any other applications?

Other ways to increase performance would be to have 3 separate, dedicated, and fast drives.

One drive to run the program, another with your souce footage/elements on it, and a third to which you'd be rendering.

How much RAM do you have installed? How many processors do you have, and what's their speed rating?

If you have the processors and RAM to afford it (you should allot 2GB/core), you can enable multi-processing.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Render improvments
            Level 1

WOW! thanks for all things to consider in optimizing the render pipeline.

I'm animating a camera around a multilayered photoshop composition. I have 3 masks about 3 adjustment layers and high resolution images in the layers. its a dual processor with about 3GB RAM...when its rendering however, it says im only using 23% of the space.

...and what is this about format/codec?

• 3. Re: Render improvments
              TimeRemapper Level 4
              I have 3 masks about 3 adjustment layers and high resolution images in the layers. its a dual processor with about 3GB RAM

What effects are being used?

And, can you define Hi-Res? Are we taking 1000x1000 300dpi source (even though video is only 72dpi)?

...and what is this about format/codec?

Check out the Rendering section in the online help files.

Codec (stands for Compressor/Decompressor) is the way the data that you're rendering is stored.

When rendering to a very compressed format, each frame will take longer to process due to the compression that will take place on writing the frame.

• 4. Re: Render improvments
                Level 1

im using fast blur in about 4seconds, linear wipe, a couple color correction effects, time-remapping...

and the background plate is about 8000x5443 at 1200 resolution. its so huge because the camera pushes really close to the layers and i need the quality upclose...

these are all things I havent really considered, so thank you...I've figured out more things to pre-compose, but can i pre-render these compositions as well?

• 5. Re: Render improvments
                  TimeRemapper Level 4

Sure.

Prerendering is a viable option. You can also use post-render actions.

I'm 99% positive that the massive image is largely responsible for your long render time.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Render improvments
                    Level 1

thanks! this helps a TON!!

• 7. Re: Render improvments
                      TimeRemapper Level 4

You're welcome.

• 8. Re: Render improvments
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A few things to consider:

PPI has nothing do to with AE, Premiere, Final Cut, or any web app. Take these two images:

http://www.hottek.net/samples/1ppi.jpg and http://www.hottek.net/samples/9999ppi.jpg

They are both exactly the same size and the same resolution because they both contain exactly the same number pixels (150 X 50). There is a big difference if you were to put these images in a page layout app. One would be 150 inches wide and one would be just a dot on the page because the PPI tag on an image is only there to give a printer the output size. You're welcome to download the images and try it yourself.

Secondly, When you're planning a zoom in to small areas of detail on an image you must break it up into sections. I either cut up the image into sections no larger than 2X the comp width and height or I make several crops of the image at different resolutions and move in on each. In planning for this kind of a project I make sure that I am never closer to the image than the zoom value of the camera and that the scale value is never more than 100%. I also try and make sure that I never attempt to fill the screen with any image that is more than 3X the zoom value from the camera or at a scale value of less than about 30%.

I hope you followed that. IOW, I'd take your huge image and make a copy of it, then I'd crop out sections that I want to push in to that are no bigger than 2X the composition size (for HD that would be no more than about 2000 pixel high and 3900 pixels wide. For the opening shot to include the entire image I'd resize the original to that dimension, then start pushing in to my detail area and when I got to 100% scale or the distance from the camera to the layer was equal to the zoom value of the camera I'd transition to a cropped or cropped and scaled copy of the image. This will greatly reduce render times and it will greatly increase the image quality.

I hope that this helps.

• 9. Re: Render improvments
                          Level 1

what technique can you use to smoothly transition to a cropped image in the middle of a camera movement?