7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2009 12:58 AM by kglad

Load SWF under menu

Denis Tuchin

Hi

I need create Flash-presentation with several chapters. There will be menu for selecting chapter out of order.

It will wonderful if each chapter will be independent SWF file, and when I select this chapter in menu, this movie will be loaded.

I implement this, but all loaded moves appeared over the menu.

How can I do that menu be top always?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Load SWF under menu
          marer1976 Level 3

This is an ActionScript question so it's best if you move it to ActionScript Forum.

• 2. Re: Load SWF under menu
            Denis Tuchin Level 1

I see. And I'm sure that it possible in ActionScript. But I must teach technical writer to do this menu. She has little to do with programming.

That is why I am trying to find easer way.

• 3. Re: Load SWF under menu
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no need to move to an actionscript forum, as this is a design approach question, not an actionscript question.  This general forum is fine, but it is helpful if you identify which version of actionscript you are using, as well as any other information you can.

This may not require an actionscript solution as much as a design approach solution.  Since you are loading external files, for what you are doing, one possible solution is to load the external files into a movieclip that lives on a layer below the menu layer.

• 4. Re: Load SWF under menu
                Denis Tuchin Level 1

I want to load external SWF for two aims:

1. User don't need load all presentation at once. He can use menu for viewing interesting chapters only.

2. Different chapters are designed by different people at the same time

Of course I can compile different chapters in one FLA, but I don't achieve first aim by this way.

Thank you, Ned, for solution, but it doesn't work in Macromedia Flash MX (6.0). Does it work in other versions?

If you have solution for other version, tell me please, I can install it.

• 5. Re: Load SWF under menu
                  AttaBoy2 Level 3

As I understand it Flash 6 was last version prior to actionscript2 that's too bad because AS2 has the capability of easily loading swf files into the same level removing the replaced swf completely it's not such a clean process with AS3. That being said MovieClips can make good web pages.

• 6. Re: Load SWF under menu
                    Denis Tuchin Level 1

doghouseJim, could you give me an example of this loading?

I use loadMove("External.SWF", 5) function and it produce same result in Flash 6, 7 and 8: external movie load over all layers.

• 7. Re: Load SWF under menu
                      kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you're loading into _level5 with that loadMovie() function and everything in _level5 will appear above everything in _level0 (your main swf).

use a target movieclip that's at the correct depth (ie, below your menu) and load into it:

targetMC.loadMoive("External.swf");