7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2009 7:23 AM by RoboColum(n)

Fatal Error When Compiling-No .chm Displays

flytowngal

Up until a few days ago, my project compiled with no errors and was in the SSL folder.  Now all of the sudden, when I try to compile to that same SSL folder, I get a fatal error when compiling.  I've created a folder on the same drive as the folder, and it displays fine, but when I try to launch it from the project, nothing happens.  (I'm assuming this is because it does not reside within the project.)  Each time I compile, a .chm file is generated there, but when I try to launch it on its own, I get a Page Cannot Display.  Are there project files I should remove that may be preventing it from compiling correctly and placing a correctly displaying .chm file in the SSL folder?

• 1. Re: Fatal Error When Compiling-No .chm Displays
          RoboColum(n) Level 5

"I've created a folder on the same drive as the folder".

This sounds like you are generated the CHM to a network drive. CHMs should be run from a local drive ever since MS released a security patch. See here for further details.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

• 2. Re: Fatal Error When Compiling-No .chm Displays
            flytowngal Level 1

I have the project at the root of the C: drive, not a network drive.  (Went through that pain earlier in the project.)

• 3. Re: Fatal Error When Compiling-No .chm Displays
              RoboColum(n) Level 5

Sorry my post only addressed half the issue.

As for what is causing the project not to compile, that is hard to say without having your source. If it worked before, and you say it did, try taking a copy of the project and removing the content added since. Does this compile? If so, you know that what you have added has caused the problem. From there it is a matter of detective work to find out what. Try adding content bit by bit and compiling until you get an error.

My previous post was related to the CHM file output. If this is located on a network drive (and this often includes your My Documents folder or Desktop in a corporate environment) they will not show the content.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

• 4. Re: Fatal Error When Compiling-No .chm Displays
                flytowngal Level 1

Thanks for the response, Colum. 

Right now I am compiling the file and saving it at the C: drive root and the compiling works beautifully and the file displays fine.  It is only when I compile and attempt to save it to the SSL folder within the project that I get the fatal error message when compiling.

It's great that I can save it somewhere that works, but now I'm more perplexed than ever!

Maggie Prince

Senior Technical Writer

The Cincinnati Insurance Companies

513-870-2000 ext 6112

maggie_prince@cinfin.com

"It's never too late to be who you might have been."

George Eliot

Confidentiality notice: The information included in this e-mail, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is confidential and protected. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or similar action is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies of the original message immediately.

• 5. Re: Fatal Error When Compiling-No .chm Displays
                  RoboWizard Level 4

Hi Maggie

Are there any odd characters in the path leading to the !SSL! folder? Perhaps that may explain things.

Note that I consider anything beyond A-Z a-z 0-9 and _ (underscore) to be an "odd" character. Also, is the path unusually deep?

Cheers... Rick

• 6. Re: Fatal Error When Compiling-No .chm Displays
                    flytowngal Level 1

Rick,

Thanks for the response.  I did notice that the name of the .chm file has a dash in it.  I've removed all odd characters from all my file names, folder names and I've changed the name of the project.  However, at the end of the path on the HTML Properties screen, it still lists the name of the .chm file with a dash.  Is there some way I can change that?  I assumed it changed with the project name change, but apparently not.

Maggie Prince

Senior Technical Writer

The Cincinnati Insurance Companies

513-870-2000 ext 6112

maggie_prince@cinfin.com

"It's never too late to be who you might have been."

George Eliot

Confidentiality notice: The information included in this e-mail, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is confidential and protected. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or similar action is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies of the original message immediately.

• 7. Re: Fatal Error When Compiling-No .chm Displays
                      RoboColum(n) Level 5

Hi Maggie. You have to manually change this in the properties of your Single Source layout. It doesn't change if you rename a project.

BTW you may want to remove your email address from your signature unless you want lots of offers for various stuff your life is probably richer without