6 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2009 3:09 PM by kubee_nibbles

Director 5 movies - What are my options?

Pantagruau

Hello,

My company produced a CD-ROM for troubled teenagers in 1998 with Director 5 (I think). Lots of Quicktime movies (v.2.1!) and buttons (lingo). The content is still very much relevant and we have been asked to uprade the product.

What are my options now?

Can I convert it for Shockwave and the Web or will there be too many lingo issues?

Should I reopen the files, if at all possible, in a newer version of Director and work out the problems one at a time?

Should I give up?

Any advice is most welcome. Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Director 5 movies - What are my options?
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

You should be able to salvage the QT movies. If they were produced by your company, you may be able to go back to the original files and do a new compression of them using a more modern codec, like H.264.

If you have any older versions of Director around and a machine running Windows 98 or ME, then you might be able to open the original .dir files and extract the graphics. You might even be able to update the content, although that may be more painful than its worth.

• 2. Re: Director 5 movies - What are my options?
            Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
            Can I convert it for Shockwave and the Web or will there be too many lingo issues?

You can't readily convert it for Shockwave use without first updating the file format to a newer version. You should start with updating the files in Director 7 which is the first version (IIRC) to use QT3 (the "modern" QuickTime for Windows engine). Development using Director underwent some major changes between 5 and 7 with the introduction of behavior scripts and sprite spans etc., so you should get your content working in D7 before progressing as this step will be the hardest. How complicated is impossible to say without seeing it, but I don't think you should give up without trying.

• 3. Re: Director 5 movies - What are my options?
              Pantagruau Level 1

Thank you very much for your answers. They gave me hope!

I gained acces to Director MX on an XP machine and could open the files. I can now estimate how much work needs to be done. The main issue is color depth: 256 colors! And I have access to about half of the original videos so I could recompres those.

Output for the Web is another matter altogether.We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Director 5 movies - What are my options?
                kubee_nibbles

I have succesfully updated director 5 movies on my Mac, but had to do it with an older Mac running system 9.2.  I upgraded from director 5 to director 6.  From there I was able to upgrade to director MX (8.5) under system OSX on the same computer.  If you have a Mac version of the director file and want to send it to me for upgrade (on a CD?) let me know.  Send me an email at lgrimm35@earthlink.net with "director 5" in the subject.

I do educational software for deaf kids, so I understand your dilemma!

• 5. Re: Director 5 movies - What are my options?
                  Pantagruau Level 1

Glad to know I'm not the only one following a crooked path. Fortunately (?) all my work files were on a PC.

Thanks anyway.

• 6. Re: Director 5 movies - What are my options?
                    kubee_nibbles Level 1

Hi!

Actually, I could probably upgrade the PC file on the Mac.  I used to 

create PC programs by transferring the Mac file to a PC and running 

the PC director app on the file.  So one should be able to go the 

other direction.   If you'd like me to try you can send me a small 

file by email and I'll give it a go.  I could then email it back, and 

if the process works we could transfer the rest of the files via CD.

Leslie