3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2009 1:08 PM by Rick Gerard

Animating paragraphs in AE CS4

LSLawler

I have a Q&A wherein I would like to have the question animate in, with the answer below it. However, if the answer is more than one line, each line animates separately.

Aside from having separate text boxes for each question and each answer then animating each, is there an option within the animators to have multiple lines come in together? Is there any easier way to do this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Animating paragraphs in AE CS4
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm assuming that you didn't use the area type technique when you created your paragraphs by clicking in the upper left corner of your text area with the text tool and dragging out a text frame by moving down to the lower right.

If you did do that, just add an opacity animator, make sure that the anchor point grouping is set to character or word, then set the opacity to 0, start to 100% and end to 0% and animate the end range selector.

• 2. Re: Animating paragraphs in AE CS4
            LSLawler Level 1

I did indeed use the area type technique. Will I still need to create each question and answer on a separate track?

• 3. Re: Animating paragraphs in AE CS4
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LSLawler wrote:

Will I still need to create each question and answer on a separate track?

That depends on your design. I would probably approach this problem using separate layers for each question and each answer. This makes the composition look more complex, but it is actually easier to edit and animate. One of the beauties of After Effects is that you can easily separate each element in a composite and manipulate each individually. Once you get used to working this way you'll find that it is a very flexible technique.