23 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 1:37 PM by Jim_Simon

Preview in 1920/1440x1080

Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the rtx2 and the BM Intensity the only way to get HD/HDV on an external monitor or are there other options.

• 1. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Ann, have a look at the high definition category in the wiki for some great articles.

Groetjes
          Eddie

• 2. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080

I know of some of these articles but that is not an aswer to my question.

I want my hdv timeline on a external monitor like i have dv timeline on a external monitor.

• 3. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I use the composite/component out of my old school Radeon X1950 to send DVCPRO HD and XDCAM EX footage to a standard definition television for preview. I don't have an HDTV to test if I can actually push out HD, but I know the card allows for 1080i/p output, so theoretically it'll work.

I just set up my TV as a second monitor using Catalyst Control Center, and then from within the video preview option in PPro, the TV shows up as a preview device. It's set to scale and automatically do aspect ratio correction. For the most part, it looks pretty good--good enough for casual monitoring.

• 4. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

I havnt researched it completly; Im interested in the responses also.  I almost got the Intensity card just to have HDMI Out.  One thing I discoverd at the time is if you use Cineform, you cant use the HDMI out on intensity.  That may have changed by now.

My current solution is I simply use a 30" monitor.  I can play HD video full size in the program monitor.   Not a  perfect solution, but workable since HD on DTV isnt prone to as many differences we see in SD Analog tv.

• 5. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

One inticing thing about the Intensity Pro is the price. While I think it was fairly reasonably priced before ($350 MSRP), BMD just slashed the price almost in half. I think B&H has it for under $190 right now. BMD did away with the non-Pro version completely, and made the Pro version much more attractive. Thinking of getting one myself...

• 6. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080

That is what i want to avoid, having a Matrox or BM card. I would rather stay native in Premiere.

Something like a grafics-card or 'Canopus' perhaps.

• 7. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
                      spreeni Level 1

I was told by blackmagic support, you are only able to use intensity for previewing in a blackmagic project. This means you have to use their m-jpeg codec or uncompressed video. The native PPro formats are not supported. Of course you can convert it on the fly if you put your hdv stuff on a blackmagic timeline, but you need a fast cpu for that. And many people say, the m-jpeg codec is not that high quality. So you have to use uncompressed hd which needs very fast raid harddisks.

I was on the search for a solution to use native dvcprohd in premiere and have a fullcreen preview too. I tried an nvidia quadro FX 1700 and put a preview monitor on the second port. But the preview was stuttering in those high resolutions and there were problems with interlaced modes. So I decided to try a MOTU v4hd. This is an expensive solution, but it works.

Maybe Matrox would be a good idea for a hdv preview. Did you hear about their new MXO2 mini?

• 8. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
                        Averdahl Level 3

Ann, i can edit native anything in Pr and output it to my monitor without problems, DV/HDV/XDCAM/AVCHD/DVCPRO HD.

/Roger

• 9. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080

Would you mind telling me how. Mind you i do not want the full screen preview from Premiere (the one that comes up with the tilde key)

I want full resolution.

• 10. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
                            Averdahl Level 3

Ann, i simply put HDV-footage on a Blackmagic Design HD 1920x1080 Timeline. Pr now treats the 1440x1080 as 1920x1080, ie no squished images. The same goes for DVCPro HD, i just place the footage on a Blackmagic Design Timeline, either on a HD720 or a HD1920 Timeline depending on the source footage. Pr treats this footage as square pixel footage as well. No need to create custom settings for timelines. I prefer to work with Timelines with their Motion JPEG codec for smaller preview files. I never use the preview files when i render out the Timeline anyway.

You can use the card without using any of their codecs when capturing or exporting.

The downside is that none of the Blackmagic Design card have hardware accelartion. If you for example add Three Way Color Corrector and try to playback the Timeline it will stopp after a couple of frames because it drops frames. It is possible to force the card to playback despite the dropped frames, but then the audio goes out of sync until you stop the playback and resume it. Many filters can be played back i realtime though. The solution is of course to render the Work Area. Dropped frames on unrendered footage has nothing to do with HDD speed.

Other hardware solutions is Matrox Axio Le, AJA Xena or any other Blackmagic Design card.

• 11. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080

Aha, that's just it. I do not want BM or Matrox.

• 12. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

I've not yet been successful using Colin's method, myself.  The only way I've been able to get proper preview output is via Firewire, and it's my understanding that such does not work with HDV.

• 13. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080

Yes we already knew that firewire does not work for HDV.

• 14. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

So I guess we can conclude that yes, a BM or Matrox card might just be the only way to get external preview of HDV media.  (Unless you're lucky enough to be successful with Colin's method.)

• 15. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080

I am not concluding anything yet.

• 16. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

What else is there?

There are three basic ways to get video out of your computer and onto a TV:

1) Firewire

2) Video card

3) Third party hardware.

We know 1 doesn't work for HDV.  I can't get 2 to work, but Colin does so maybe you can as well.  Otherwise, 3 is all that's left.

• 17. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080

So we are back to post 6.

• 18. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
                                            Averdahl Level 3

Last time i tried in CS4.0.0 i could actually get HDV out via firewire. I have not tried it in 4.0.1, so i dont know if it is a bug or a well hidden feature. I have tried it on several computers with the same odd result, HDV downconverted to SD via firewire. Sometimes the playback lagged, but the preview was there.

Btw, since you dont want BMD or Matrox, what do you want? Whats the goal, super-duper-realtime-no-render-at-all or the abilityto have preview out to a monitor for CC, etc?

For me the preview has a higher priority than render free experience.

• 19. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080

I want high resolution preview. My i7 can handle no render (even MB Looks).

• 20. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
                                                spreeni Level 1

Full HD Preview with effects like MB looks - without rendering? I doubt an i7 can do this without dropping frames.

Anyway, I think best solution for you would be a Matrox hardware. Not so expensive like MOTU V4HD and gives you the option of using a cheap HDMI display as a calibrated preview monitor. BM is cheaper but has some disadvantages because of its M-JPEG codec and it (a bit) buggy software (that's what I've heard).

You can try to connect a full-HD display to the secondary port of your display adapter (If available). This seems to be the most buggy way, but maybe you're lucky and your card does this well. In any case you need a good full-HD display (I can recommend Eizo Flexscan HD2442, does a really good job handel video, correct AR, good deinterlacer) - so try it before you buy additional hardware.

• 21. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
                                                  spreeni Level 1

I've just read this:

http://www.aja.com/news/index_article.php?id=71

AJA Io Express Showcased at NAB 2009

• 22. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080

Well that sounds more like it this AJA, thanks.

I do not know what the resolution of the preview in Premiere is,

but i do not have to render hdv in highest qualtity playback mode with an MB effect.

It runs without hickups.

• 23. Re: Preview in 1920/1440x1080
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

$1,000 for an I/O device?  That seems kind of pricey.  I'm not a fan of Matrox for other reasons, but with them at least you do get hardware acceleration.