7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 2:12 PM by Paul_LS

Is it possible to get a 4:3 video from a 16:9 video?

day by day

I've authored a video in wide screen, but some people would prefer the regular 4:3 format because they do not own widescreen TVs. (I put together two people's footages--some shot in widescreen and some in 4:3, so it's not going to be perfect anyway.) Since there was a lot of editing involved, scene menu, etc., is there a way to use the same prel information but open it in 4:3 format? Sorry I may not be explaining clearly what I want--basically I want to change a 16:9 format video into a 4:3 format. If this is not possible after the fact of authoring, for future projects is there a setting or option to output to both formats when beginning a project?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to get a 4:3 video from a 16:9 video?
          Paul_LS Level 4

Dont forget they can adjust the settings of their DVD player to stretch the video to fill the 4:3 frame of the TV rather than watching it in letterbox. You will get a simlar effect when changing the project... ie stretch the 16:9 video to fill the frame or cut off the sides of the video. Or like the 4:3 TV you could set the content of the frame in PE7 to be letterboxed for the 16:9 video.

There is a way to edit the XML file to convert a 16:9 project to a 4:3 project. However you probably would need to then adjust your content or optimize it for the new frame size before burning to disc.

Anyway once you have completed your 16:9 video and burnt it go to the project folder and find the .prel project file. The .prel project files from Premiere Elements are XML and can be edited with a editor such as Wordpad..
          Do a search and replace:

For PAL from:
          <PixelAspectRatio>1024,720</PixelAspectRatio>
          to
          <PixelAspectRatio>768,720</PixelAspectRatio>
          This works fine for PAL.

For NTSC from:
          <PixelAspectRatio>864,720</PixelAspectRatio>
          to
          <PixelAspectRatio>648,720</PixelAspectRatio>

You also have to clear the rendered files afterwards (from the menu select Timeline>Delete Render Files)

Also, good idea to make a backup of your .prel project file first.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to get a 4:3 video from a 16:9 video?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A simpler way may be to output your video from your 16:9 project as a DV-AVI (Share/Personal Computer/DV-AVI).

Then open a 4:3 project and import that footage. Place it on the timeline, right-click on it and select Show Properties to open the Properties panel.

Open the Motion properties and set scale to 133%. (You'll, of course, lose a little off each side of your video.)

Then just burn your DVD or whatever from that!

• 3. Re: Is it possible to get a 4:3 video from a 16:9 video?
              Paul_LS Level 4

Yep, certainly a lot, lot easier Steve.

The way I suggest is probably more useful if you start your project in the wrong format and want to change it during the editing process.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to get a 4:3 video from a 16:9 video?
                tech_savvy Level 1

Sharing to DV-AVI is really the best option for you. Do reply in case something is still unclear

• 5. Re: Is it possible to get a 4:3 video from a 16:9 video?
                  day by day Level 1

I tried both methods and, actually both were really easy to do . When I added the DV-AVI file to the timeline and used the Motion properties to scale to 133% (constrained--so both height and width were enlarged), I lost the text I had in the title slide. Then I checked the photos--heads were cut off and on captions under the photos, the last line was missing. (I had enlarged the canvas in PSE and added text.)  I tried reducing the scaling to about 80% which would maintain the captions, which may work--though I have black bars, but I sure had black bars in widescreen too--especially on the vertical photos.

My test may not be accurate since I don't have a 4:3 TV set any more. I tried the Sidebar setting on my widescreen TV. It may work better on a 4:3 set--I'll try that on someone else's set tomorrow. I had also put text on some photos and each line on the right side was cut off too.  Without thinking I tried to edit it and move it--of course I couldn't because it was "fixed" in the avi file.That's the reason I had asked about editing the prel so I could start the 4:3 project and use everything I had already done in the 16:9 project and everything would still be editable. The draw back on scaling with that method is I have to do each photo individually unless there is a way to batch scale. Is there?

I am going to have to do more experimenting and viewing on a 4:3 set to decide which way works best for me.

Thank you so much for your suggested solutions

• 6. Re: Is it possible to get a 4:3 video from a 16:9 video?
                    Paul_LS Level 4

To batch scale on the timeline, scale one photo/slide and then right click it and select Copy. Then Ctrl/click on the other photos/slides (or lasso them) and then right click and select Paste Attributes. All photos/slides will be re-scaled. However.... any other effect/attributes already added to the photo/slide will also be copied to all the others.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Is it possible to get a 4:3 video from a 16:9 video?
                      day by day Level 1

Thanks again, Paul. I can't believe how quick you are!

I accidentally clicked the Helpful Answer instead of Correct Answer, so I immediately clicked the right one, but got some kind of error message. I don't know how to change it. This new forum interface is very nice, but I'm not used to it yet and don't know all the features. Sorry.