11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 12:56 AM by Michelmnr

File Management

phunkya

I teach video editing skills to print journalists.  I have always taught them to never add media items from outside of their project folder.

Is there any benefit to keeping all media for a specific project in a single folder other than minimizing the chance for accidental assest deletion?

Does adding assests to a premiere project from multiple hard drives decrease stability?  The new Media Browser in CS4 would seem to make it very easy to add assets to a project from every corner of a machine (also making it really hard to manage limited drive space).

Anyone have any good solutions for managing limited drive space for multiple users using the CS4 production suite tools?

Anthony Roberts

JournalStar.com

• 1. Re: File Management
          don solomon Level 1

Sure, keep it all in one directory and assign a folder to each student.  Use a fast drive with enough room for them to capture to their folders.  Keep everything you can off the C drive (set prefences accordingly).  Put the rest on another fast, hopefully spacious drive.

But when you say limited, a voice in my head says you suspect you need more space than you have.  Drives are cheap.  Of course, all this depends on a lot of variables you forgot to mention, like present drive space, number of students, usual project size per student, and on and on.

• 2. Re: File Management
            phunkya Level 1

I am keeping everything off C:\

My students aren't exactly students.  This is on-the-job training.  I've requested everyone start a new folder per project and copy common files into the new project folder every time.  That's starting to seem like a waste of energy and I should just have them use the same project folder for all their projects.

The E:\ drive is 465GB.  That fills up about every couple of months and I go on a ruthless drive management episodes when people complain about getting the "can't digitize video, out of drive space" message.  Each project is between 5 and 50GB.  there's about 10 users on the machine and they make videos on widely varying schedules, from 1 or 2 per month to a couple every week.

As long as all assets are on the E:\ drive, then you don't think adding from multiple directories will cause instability?

• 3. Re: File Management
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

phunkya wrote:

As long as all assets are on the E:\ drive, then you don't think adding from multiple directories will cause instability?

No.  Just might make it more difficult to clean up when you have to.

What about:

E: Projects\

E: Projects\Project_A

E: Projects\Project_A\User1_clips

E: Projects\Project_A\User2_clips

Then when the project is over; you can delete the Project_A folder and its all gone.

• 4. Re: File Management
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Anyone have any good solutions for managing limited drive space

Buy more hard drives.  Video requires lots of room.  Best to accommodate that need rather than trying to get around it.

• 5. Re: File Management
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Anthony,

This is personal workflow for Asset-management, but works fine for me:

1.) All original meda stays in their original location and only a Copy of the Asset comes into the respective folders

2.) Each Project has its own folder, beneath which will be sub-folders for: Audio, Video (may have more than one, depending on the Project, Still Images (again, maybe more than one), Titles, if created outside of PrPro (will be in a Titles Bin in Project Manager), Music, SFX, etc.

3.) This allows for easy access, and should links get broken, ease in re-establishing them

4.) This allows for easy deletion of the Project, once complete.

5.) Scratch Disks are set to the Project's mother-folder (see #4)

As I often work with Assets that are scattered onto NAS, and many external HDD's, leaving them where originally filed, keeps them handy, should I need them for other uses. By making the Copies, I have everything organized, where I need it, with no worry about accidently blowing away the originals. Same general process for any still Project. My RAW/Scan files are at the root of the Project, with working PSD's in a sub-folder. Finals come below the root and I'll often have additional subs with JPEG's, TIFF's, CMYK's, whatever the clients will need.

Only one way to do it, but it has worked for me and for many years. From me, the biggest warning would be to NEVER work with originals. If doing a Capture from tape, I make an exception, as I can always re-Capture, and the tapes are never, never overwirtten.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: File Management
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Anthony,

It could be a small "waste of time," but if anything ever goes wrong, you (and your students) will greatly appreciate taking the time and investing in HDD real estate.

I inherited a Project, where the editor had Assets scattered on all sorts of media, external HDD's, data DVD's, data CD's and most had a nightmare of sub-folders. Originally done on Mac in a much older version of Premiere, I had to gather up everything. As there were some problems, and I did not have an edit sheet to work from, I maintained the original structure, as much as was possible. [I should have invoked my method, but hoped for the best.] As it turned out, I to manually locate most of 1900+ Assets (many were different Assets, but with the exact same name, just in different sub-folders), and re-Link. This took over three days, especially as I had to follow a "test" DVD set on one machine, while I located that exact Asset on this kludge of a structure!

Links can become broken, and only one time searching though a poorly planned folder system will drive this potential problem home.

Good luck, and please let us know what you go with, and why you made that decision,

Hunt

• 7. Re: File Management
                      Michelmnr Level 1

I would definetely say yes, and if I did this myself I would not be here looking for answers! - This is going to be my "mid year resolution" - "Put a copy of all the asset I need in my next new project in one distinctively named folder"!

I installed a new HD and coppied my old drive on it with my assets all over the place in various folders. And now I returned to an old project where many clips were missing - I'm paying for it trying to link the media back to the source. Doing so I made a mistake and wonder how I can relink the clip to the right source. (this is what lead me here!)

Adobe help does not seem to respond to search like "link, redo, wrong link etc.to media in project"

I also think having assets in one particular place with sub folder as needed would also speed the process as the program remembers the last folder searched so many operations would lead to this folder or near it anyway.

I even think it's would be a good thing to label every assets more accurately or meaningfully to avoid errors (which is actually what happened to me, I had two set of clips with almost the same name and a serial number, and click on the wrong one to re-link it!

I guess I have to re import the right clip and replace it on the time line mucking up all my key frames.

MM

• 8. Re: File Management
                        phunkya Level 1

MM,

Don't mess up your key frames.  If you accidentally link a clip in your library to the wrong file, you can break that link and then re-link it.  I helped a co-worker do this, and I know there's a "right" way to do it, but I just had her move the "wrong" file she'd linked to, so the link appeared broken again, then when it asked "where's this file" (or what-ever that message is that pops up when a project opens and you have missing media) I'd be sure to select the correct file.  This saved a lot of time (the project was almost finished, so we had lots of key frames and edit points we needed to keep).

• 9. Re: File Management
                          Michelmnr Level 1

Thank for that Anthony, but I'm comming (at the end of this error), I though I found the right clip to reconnect but because of it's vague and similar name it was actually not the correct clip I relinked. And this was the problem, "was" because I since re-imported the correct clip and replaced it on the timeline. (I did not have too many key frames so it was not a major issue).

That's what happens once the instance of the clip in projet is (re) linked to a source it can't be undone and the "link media" option is ghosted in the drop down choices. As said b4 I could not see any relevant item in Adobe help

Regarding Curt's post...I will engrave it in my little brain It makes so much sense. I had to look all over my pc HDs and spend so much time to delete all the bit and pieces that I don't need anymore, and hope it's all gone (but the .iso image of the final work)! Another "mid year" resolution!

MM

• 10. Re: File Management
                            Kona Bob Level 2

Anthony

I think your original impulse is the smart way to go.

I always have a unique folder for each project, then all media - either copies, or originals- should go into sub folders: video clips, music, narration, stills, titles, AE comps, etc.

The CS4 media browser is still very useful because you can preview each item of media and decide to import into the project or not, and what bin to put it into. With CS3 & earlier versions, I always had to just import the whole mess & sort it out within the project. I think the browser will be a useful organizing tool, but if you use it to import far flung items, it's just a matter of time before something gets lost or deleted.

The final value to me of having it all organized like this is that it's a no brainer to archive the entire finished project with all of its assets onto an external hard drive. If I ever need to redo or tweak the final program, the whole thing is basically one click away.

• 11. Re: File Management
                              Michelmnr Level 1

Yes I think so

I might share something else I discovered on the subject.

I found out (using CS2 suite) when re linking media that if you have a lot of clips disconnected in your project window and they are exactly in the same order as the one in the source folder, it is just a matter of hilighting the lot then click "media link" to find the source folder and double click on the first clip that matches the first disconnected clip in project. The rest will be reconnected correctly. But you really have to be sure!

However, if there are some clips out of matching sequence they need to be done individually or in groups perfectly matched. With sequential number it's easier to see than if the clips have all a separate name, for other purposes I still would preffered having intuitive names if time permits.!

MM