4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2009 8:09 AM by Paul_LS

Video is out of focus

Level 1

Currently using Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Premiere Elements 2.0.

I created a slideshow in photoshop elements and exported to file for DVD NTSC.

Photoshop created a .wmv file which I then imported into Premiere.

I scaled the slideshow to 80% so that text in the photos would stay inside of the borders of my TV during playback.

However, some of the photos were out of focus during playback.

The .wmv file was perfect however.  Not sure what happened.

• 1. Re: Video is out of focus
          Paul_LS Level 4

Sorry just to clarify. You exported a wmv from Photoshop Elements, imported it into Premiere Elements, reduced the size by 80% and burnt a DVD... is this correct. WMV is already a compressed format, when you reduce the size and burn it to DVD you will be loosing quality both due to the resizing and the burn process. Also what length is the slideshow? PE2 will burn at highest quality on videos of around an hour, any longer and the quality will be reduced to fit it to the disc.  Also, dont forget your TV has a 720x480 resolution, this is probably a lot lower than the original photos. The original photos would lok much crisper on a monitor.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Video is out of focus
            Level 1

That is correct... I exported a .wmv from Photoshop elements for the following reasons.

1) I don't know of any other way to export a slideshow from Photoshop Elements to Premier Elements.

2) I don't think Photoshop Elements can do MPEG encoding itself.

The slideshow is about 45 minutes long.

Question.

Is it possible to import JPG photos and MP3 audio into Premier Elements and to create a slideshow in Premier?

I would need an easy way to adjust Pan, Zoom and the Length of each Slide.  The length of each slide is critical because I need to time the pictures to the audio.

• 3. Re: Video is out of focus
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, still images can be Imported directly into PE. I'd resize the images to 1000x750 (to allow some panning, when zoomed out), and also set the intended Duration in Edit>Preferences BEFORE you Import*.

As for the MP3 Audio source files, some cause a problem (it has been suggested that ones with embedded Album Art could be the root). PE will Conform (CFA files) and also generate the PEAK (.PEK - Waveform display) files to get the MP3's to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, and you should let it complete this process (progress bar at lower right of the GUI). The best way would be to go to the source of the MP3's, if possible, as MP3 is heavily compressed. Even with the Conforming, you will never recover the lost Audio. I only use MP3's as short SFX files, and always use Audition (Audacity is a free Audio editing program, and will do this too), before I Import.

Though I have a couple of SlideShow creation programs, I do all of mine in PrPro, PE's "big-brother." Works perfectly and allows me to do all sorts of animations with the still images.

Good luck,

Hunt

* Don't forget to reset your Duration back to what you will use for other Projects. Once Imported, it's either a process of adjusting the Duration by hand, or resetting the Duration and then doing a re-Import.

• 4. Re: Video is out of focus
                Paul_LS Level 4

As Hunt says... ... just to add that there are presets for Pan and Zoom in PE7 that you can apply and then customize. Or you can go into the Properties Panel for the photo, then under Motion you can set the Scale and Position, using keyframes, to set up your Pan and Zooming from scratch. you can then use Copy and Paste Attributes to apply these settings to selected or all photos if you want to. Or create a new preset with your custome settings. As for duration, you can set a default duration for all photos, which you can then adjust simply by dragging the end of the photo in the timeline to lengthen or shorten the duration.

If you go to Muvipix you can download free tutorials on "Creating an Instant Slideshow with Pan and Zoom" and on "Keyframing", link here: http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=42

1 person found this helpful