6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 8:53 PM by Jim_Simon

How do I export 3ds MAX animation to DVD

Level 1

I have created an architectural animation in 3dsMAX and saved it as a series of Targa sequences.

I have created a project in Premier Pro CS3 and imported them and finished editing them. I am now ready to export to DVD.

My animation has a lot of panning, tilting and fast action so everything I have tried so far is very aliased.

Does anyone know what the industry standard is for rendering fast motion 3d computer animation to HD DVD .

• 1. Re: How do I export 3ds MAX animation to DVD
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Did you add motion blur when you exported from Max?

Is your final delivery going to be on DVD, or on Blu-ray?  You mentioned

HD DVD, which isn't an option with Adobe software.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: How do I export 3ds MAX animation to DVD
            Level 1

I did not add motion blur. What would be some good guide lines to know when to us MB and when would it not be a good idea to use it,

and what difference does it make in my situation

I am tring to come up with this most professionl results that I can.

I want a movie quality non aliased product when I am finished. I thought that HD referes to the 19:6 ratio on the screen..still learning

• 3. Re: How do I export 3ds MAX animation to DVD

Motion blur should be used when you want your animation to appear like it was shot with a camera.  Objects in motion that are recorded by a video camera appear blurred because their position changes while the camera's shutter is open.  That's why sports videographers use high shutter speeds - they want the players and the action to appear sharp and not blurred.  A high shutter speed means the shutter is open for less time, and only extremely fast motion gets blurred at all.

Motion blur should reduce the "aliasing" effect that you are trying to avoid.  Try exporting a short section of your animation that has significant motion with motion blur off and then on.  See which one you like best.

HD refers to frame size, not aspect ratio.  Widescreen (16:9) and standard (4:3) refer to aspect ratio.  Standard Definition (SD) DVD is 720x480 for NTSC and 720x576 for PAL.  Always.  Whether SD DVD is widescreen or standard depends on the pixel aspect ratio, or PAR.  NTSC has a PAR of 0.9 for standard and 1.2 for widescreen.  PAL PARs are 1.066 and 1.422 for standard and widescreen.

HD comes in two flavors - 1280x720 and 1920x1080.  HD is always 16:9.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: How do I export 3ds MAX animation to DVD
                Level 1

Thank You so much for your great replies

Some clarification: My camera is panning across a room filled with fitness training equipment or I am moving rapidly down a long hallway or I am panning across the front of the exterior of a large gymnazium. The camera is moving but the geometry is always fixed. Would I still use motion blur in this situation?

Also, I have saved my project to an .AVI file and this look pretty ok eccept when I fly around the exterior of the building. When scene geometry lines become diagonal on the screen thay become somewhat aliased. Can I add a fake motion blur in Premier PRO to help blend this without loosing detail.

What about .AVI? Is that ever used? I know its a large file.

I just want to have the mpeg to look as good or better than the .AVI

• 5. Re: How do I export 3ds MAX animation to DVD

A proper motion blur function will simulate the shutter of a camera, so

whether the camera is moving or the subject is moving doesn't matter. 

Subjects in motion will be rendered appropriately.  There will be very

little blur for subjects moving towards or away from the camera, and

lots of blur for subjects moving across the frame.

I don't use 3ds Max, but I would expect it to have a proper motion blur

function.

Targa sequences are probably a better choice for CG animations than

.avi, but if you use a lossless codec like Lagarith (Google for it) then

.avi is OK too.

You can't completely avoid the jaggies on diagonal lines at DVD

resolution, but if you turn on anti aliasing when you render out of Max,

you should theoretically get a nice result.  And if the audience sees

these diagonal lines during camera motion, then motion blur should

smooth out the jaggies even more, possibly to the point of being invisible.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: How do I export 3ds MAX animation to DVD
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I wonder also what sequence settings you're using.  For a project like this, I'd expect a Progressive preset.  I can't help think that mistakenly using an Interlaced preset could contribute to the problem.