4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 11:43 AM by Curt Wrigley

Importing FCP Hi Rez from Final Cut with Encore Destination

I wonder if i could get some advise and comment on trying to get the best Blu Ray encode from Final Cut.

What I have done is this:

I have imported a 60 minute Quicktime FCP file into Premier CS4. (The file was imported as HDV video from a Canon XHA1 and converted in FCP to 422Hi Rez). I set Premier to HDV and not Quicktime before the import. When the import finished, I notice that playback was very jerky, so I rendered the whole time line. This took about 5 hours. Following this, play back was perfect.

So, what should my settings have been initially....might I have not set everything correctly. What settings should I have set initially?

(I have not figured out how to export a sequence directly from FCP which 4.01 is supposed to do.)

Now that it is play fine in Premier CS4  4.01, I am planning to use the dynamic link system to export into Encore CS4 .01 .  But before I do so, do I have to fill out copyright info in Premier...I noticed an area for this?

I chose this work flow because I did not want to use the FCP's Compressor for make a Blu Ray. I want to use Encore's H264 compression which produces a smaller file and thus less disc space. I do understand that I could have left out Premier altogether and gone directly from Compressor to Encore, but then I would not have had the H264 choice..;is this right...I am not entirely au fait with all the terms:)

So far, no crashes or weird behaviour. I am on a MacPro  Quad Core  2 Porcessor  2.8 GHZ processor.

Tim

• 1. Re: Importing FCP Hi Rez from Final Cut with Encore Destination
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I wonder if i could get some advise and comment on trying to get the best Blu Ray encode from Final Cut.

Edit with Premiere on a PC.

(Sorry, I just had to go there.  I'll shut up now.)

• 2. Re: Importing FCP Hi Rez from Final Cut with Encore Destination
            Curt Wrigley Level 4

You captured hdv into FCP then FCP convertedthe hdv to ProRes intermediate format.  So, thats why exporting pro res to Pr and setting Pr to HDV did not work.

I would suggest exporting xml the project from FCP and use the new IMPORT fcp feature in Pr CS4 .  Then you can DL link that to Encore to avoid the intermediate files.

Or; Export an uncompressed final version from FCP and import that into Encore and let encore encode it for you.

• 3. Re: Importing FCP Hi Rez from Final Cut with Encore Destination
              Level 1

Thanks for the advice. I now have the project in Encore. While it played perfectly in Premiere, it cannot do so in Encore. Maybe this is because I have the settings set to the highest resolution- 1920 x 1080 and Blu Ray NTSC. I am trying to set up chapters and it is very jerky trying to get to the right place. Shou/ld I be doing this at a lower resolution and then changing things at the end?

Also I currently have DVD Transcode set to automatic and Blu-ray Transcode set to Automatic.

Are these settings going to look at the best on a 54" Samsung HDTV  1080i  ?  I notice a whole slew of choices in the drop down!!

I am ploughing through the Lynda.com tutorials, but some of these questions don't seem to be answered there.

I am planning on saving things to hard drive so I can test before burning...is this feasible on a mac?

Tim

• 4. Re: Importing FCP Hi Rez from Final Cut with Encore Destination
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

Automatic normally works very well.  Of course the longer your program, the more agressive the encoding will have to be.

How video plays within Encore should not be to big a concern.  When it encodes it, it should play fine from the disk.  This is assumumgin you are feeding it a quality video stream to start with.