16 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 3:51 PM by hotphoto

Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4

hotphoto Level 1

I am running XP Service Pack 2 on a Dual Core 2.66 GHz and 3.2 GB Ram machine with a ATI Radeon HD 2400 ProCard.

I have 2 Canon HD10's internal hard drive camcorders. They are brand new and I haven't edited anything with them yet plus I just moved up from 6.5 to PPRO CS4. I have been struggling to figure out the best settings for these 3 variables, computer, camera and software. I have a job I have to do pretty soon and I really don't have the time to do all kinds of tests. I don't need the HD or HD Blu Ray now and I now I must upgrade my system to handle that but I would just like everything to be set up to be comparable to the mini dv I used to edit.

I know I should use XP setting on the camera but from there on I am pretty much lost...please can anyone give me a starting place to begin.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry, you lost me. What are

2 Canon HD10's internal hard drive camcorders

Camcorders hidden from view in a dark case with hard disks to record darkness and fan noise?

• 2. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
            hotphoto Level 1

Sorry Canon HG10's not HD10's, not tape but Hard Disk Drives.

• 3. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Why do you hide them internally? Why not use them as they were intended? If there was any purpose to buy these cameras, use them as intended, shoot AVCHD, transfer to the PC and import into a PP project with AVCHD settings for the sequence. Then export to whatever you need.

• 4. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                hotphoto Level 1

When I do that I have to render all the time, in 6.5 I only needed to render Effects and complicated transitions. So everytime I change any little thing on the timeline I have to rerender?

And I guess I am not explaining myself properly, sorry, I am not trying to hide anything, I just switched from Mini DV to ACHVD to avoid tape costs and camera rentals. When I say internal hard drive I mean on the camera.

Also when I download the .mts file, in the folder the icon for the .mts shows it is not recognizing it although I can import it to PP.

Thanks for all your help.

• 5. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm not familiar with your camera, but AVCHD has a nasty side effect. It requires quite some muscle and may need rendering. Is there any way to record in DV format or to export in DV format, like you can do with HDV cameras? Downconverting in camera. That would remove the need to render, but the downside is of course that you lose HD resolution. However, you stated you don't need that at this moment.

• 6. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                    hotphoto Level 1

Thank you for that answer, I will check that out and see if I have that option, but if I don't, am I basically screwed and will have to render continually.

Can I bring in footage to PP and export it to .avi and then bring it in and edit it as .avi. Does that make sense?

• 7. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                      hotphoto Level 1

Hello again, I checked and the upload from camera to computer is only as a .mts file.

• 8. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

In that case it may make more sense to import the AVCHD material, export it to DV and edit the DV material. Maybe it will save you time. But.... don't you have an older DV camera just for DV shooting?

• 9. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                          hotphoto Level 1

No, I used to rent and I thought if I buy a couple of these and I don't need to buy tape, and I won't need to rent anymore, well I am on my way...oh boy...new software, new processor, more memory, new learning curve on cs4 instead of 6.5, what have I got myself into. You have been so kind to help.

You know I am the kind of computer guy who knows how to run things, ie: edit in Premiere 6.5 but getting into all the hardware stuff and all that, I just get lost. I am like a race car driver that knows how to drive but doesn't know fig about the mechanics of the car.

Sorry to be a pain.

I will start delving into some of the other discussions to see how similar problems were delt with.

• 10. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            I am like a race car driver that knows how to drive but doesn't know fig about the mechanics of the car.

That would make a very poor driver, indeed.  If we are to be our most effective, we modern Premiere users really need to be both software and hardware experts, just like any good race car driver.  (That hardware includes both cameras and computers.  Anyone trying to do this job without sufficient technical expertise will be at a certain disadvantage.)

• 11. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                              hotphoto Level 1

I know, I know, but it is all about time really, I am running 3 businesses and it sometimes very hard to know it all. That is why I came here looking for some help with all of you who I am greatly appreciative of doing the grunt work for me and others.

That is one purpose of these discussions. I am sure there will come a time where I can help someone here with something I have learned. Thank you all for all the assistance you have given me.

It seemed so much easier before, long ago when I was using a Pinnacle Card with Premiere 5.0!

• 12. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Your best approach for the time being may be to import your AVCHD material, render and export to DV, create a new project or sequence with DV settings and edit from there.

• 13. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                                  hotphoto Level 1

Thank you.

You have been most helpful. I will try that and promise to research more in the future.

I guess, I assumed that all the Adobe Software I used in the past was fine with tape but this is another completely different animal and I trusted what was advertised in CS4 literture to do what it says it can do without all the extra hassle.

Thanks again Harm.

• 14. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    I trusted what was advertised in CS4 literture to do what it says it can do without all the extra hassle.

Oh boy.

Just in case you were curious, eating a can of spinach doesn't give you instant Superman strength, either.

• 15. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                                      hotphoto Level 1

Hey hold on there, it did for Popeye and he got Olive Oil!

• 16. Re: Canon HD10 And PrePRO CS4
                                        hotphoto Level 1

I gave up and returned the 2 canon's and bought 2 panasonic mini dv 3ccd..gonna wait a few years until the software and my budget catches up to the hardware re:cameras...thx for all your help.

I also have another question CS4 return to 6.5.