5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 7:33 AM by kglad

Education Needed?

Courtney_Meloche

Hello.  I am new to this type of program and I'm looking for advice.  My employer wants me to edit our website which is a Macromedia Flash.  I have never done so before but he would like me to learn the program and to edit the current site.  The old programmer (who is bitter about the situation) says that I need a programming background/education. Understandably this would be beneficial but not an option at the moment.  Is this program something that I can learn?  Could anyone recommend a decent training book or helpful tool to help my progress?

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

Court Mel.

• 1. Re: Education Needed?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

first find out if you need to learn actionscript 3 or actionscript 2:  open one of your website fla files and click file/publish settings/flash.  towards the top it will display the actionscript version used to create that fla.  that's the version you need to learn and, most likely, all your website files were created with the same actionscript version.  you might ask the previous webmaster whether that's true, if you're still on speaking terms.

then read the flash help documents about that version of actionscript and see if you understand some of what's being explained.  you can't expect to understand it all but, if you understand nothing, your boss should consider hiring someone to manage your website.  (i do free-lancing and can do this on an as-needed basis).

but if you do understand some of what's being explained, use the internet to look for explainations of the parts you don't understand.  if you still want to use a book, let us know the actionscript version you need to learn.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Education Needed?
            corey9

http://www.lynda.com/

has a bunch of good tutorials, from beginner to more advanced.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Education Needed?
              Courtney_Meloche Level 1

Thank you very much!

• 4. Re: Education Needed?
                Courtney_Meloche Level 1

Thank you so much!

• 5. Re: Education Needed?
                  kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you're welcome.

don't forget to start with finding the actionscript version.  you'll cut your work in half by learning only the version you need.