26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2009 1:04 PM by Andy Astro

dvd burn problem

carltown

I am having a problem burning a video. This is Elements 4. Drive is DVD-H. Disk is DVD-R. I set the quality high. The disk burned won't play on my DVD player with any quality and even crashes on it at times. A capture and burn with my Roxio works fine with the same input video card. Beautiful disk. But I want to edit and burn with Premier elements. Hard disk is defragmented, all other apps off, Virus stuff off, screen saver off, power saver off. The burn settings match my drive. Why can''t I get a good disk?

• 1. Re: dvd burn problem
          Kodebuster Level 3

A couple of things to try:

Does the burned DVD play okay on your computer ???

Rather than Burn to Disc, Burn to Folder, then try playing DVD on your PC (from folder files).

If it works on your PC, you can use a third party app to burn to disc (such as Nero, or Cyberlink, or ImageBurn (Freeware)).

Not sure what you mean by DVD-H, but a DVD-R disc should work on almost any player (even one that is long in the tooth)...

Post your results...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: dvd burn problem
            Paul_LS Level 4

What quality issues are you seeing? If the DVD is jerky during movement it could be field order issues.... this is dependant on your imported video format. What format is the video or how did you capture it?

If the problem is that the DVD will not play well on your DVD player then see this recent thread where the originator had some issues of his DVD not player on his DVD player. The advice should resolve your issues. However if you still have problems why not burn your DVD to folder from PE4 and then use Roxio to burn to disc. Also be aware that some folks have had burn issues when working on a computer with Roxio installed. The issue is generally that PE will not burn to disc, as you can burn to disc I dont thenk you are seeing the issue... just something to be wary of.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1906593#1906593

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: dvd burn problem
              frejageorge

My PE4 has not had a problem with making  DVDs - until yesterday.    A short 12 minute video finished >Share > Disc.    Response =  Can't find burner!

Tried again today and PE4 shuts down as soon as the project is opened.   I'll try re-install PE4 next.

Thanks for any advice.

• 4. Re: dvd burn problem
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As always, the best way to isolate and work around the problem is to use the method described in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

• 5. Re: dvd burn problem
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you able to write the output to a folder on your hard drive, and then use a product like the free http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn to a disc?

• 6. Re: dvd burn problem
                    frejageorge Level 1

Yes, I exported it as an *.avi and used Ashampoo Burn Studio6 to make DVD.

Reported as OK but wouldn't play on 2 different DVD players.   Waiting reply

from Ashampoo.  I have uninstalled PE4 completely and will next re-install

it, load the   *.avi and try again.

• 7. Re: dvd burn problem
                      frejageorge Level 1

I had exported the project as *.avi to a hard disc folder.  DVD by 3rd party

burner  wouldn't play.  So, uninstalled and re-installed PE4 completely

along with all project files.  Loaded the *.avi and it burned successfully.

Thanks for the help.

• 8. Re: dvd burn problem
                        frejageorge Level 1

Further to my reply yesterday, I just sent this to Steve Grisetti  :-     "I

had exported the project as *.avi to a hard disc folder.  DVD by 3rd party

burner  wouldn't play.  So, uninstalled and re-installed PE4 completely

along with all project files.  Loaded the *.avi and it burned successfully.

Thanks for the help".

• 9. Re: dvd burn problem

Great news, George!

• 10. Re: dvd burn problem
                            carltown Level 1

Thanks for all the tips. I'm trying them all. I did try to burn it to a folder and burn from that, but that DVD would not work. The problem may have been the 3rd party software. (I'll try another - the one suggested here in the replies.) I'm upset that PE4 does not allow me to control the burn speed. (I assume that is correct). If using a third party fails on the burn from the hard disk image, I will PE4 reinstall. , If I do a reinstall, I will turn off virus checking and all other applications as will as screen and power saver. Any of that may affedt that install.

• 11. Re: dvd burn problem
                              frejageorge Level 1

I didn't stop the virus checker, etc. and it still worked fine - but my

project was only 12 minutes - may have helped.

• 12. Re: dvd burn problem
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I also feel that the ability (or inability) to adjust Burn speed is an issue. PE does a bit of math, taking the burner and the media, into consideration and making an educated guess. Still, I like to Burn at the slowest speed for the greatest compatibility with set-top players. As I use PrPro & Encore, that is not an issue. If I only had PE, I would do the Burn to Folder, then use ImgBurn to do the physical Burn to DVD, so I could adjust the burn speed down to the minimum.

The biggest problems with set-top player compatibility are:

1.) media used. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden have been found to be the most reliable. Some set-top players also have problems with -R and/or +R media. This is less common with newer players, but some older ones just flat balk at one, vs the other.

2.) burn speed - slower is better at insuring the greatest compatibility (see above).

Still, when everything is done right, there is never a guarantee, as no set-top player is required by spec to play ANY burned DVD - only replicated/stamped DVD's. Most do fine, but some just will not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: dvd burn problem
                                  Andy Astro

I am trying to burn DVD’s with Premier Elements 3.  It is a one hour video created from an avi file, with about six menu buttons.  The DVD preview looks good with good menus, but the burned DVD has a bad menu and the menu buttons and their labels do not display and are not active.  I just get a black screen when I try to play it.   This has happened repeatedly, even after reinstalling Premier Elements.  Any ideas how to fix this?

I am doing this on a Dell Dimension DM061, 2.80GHz CPU, with 2 GB of Ram, Windows Vista, and I have about 34 GB of free disc space.

Andy Astro

• 14. Re: dvd burn problem
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

Please give us details on exactly how your Project is layed out. Also, list the steps that you go through to create the navigation of your DVD, and the exact Menus that you used.

This will help others to determine if there is a workflow or an Asset problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: dvd burn problem
                                      Andy Astro Level 1

I start with avi files of the scenes.  There are six of them, each about 10 mins in length and they are in PAL format.  I import these into the timeline, onto one video timeline, and there is no audio.  I then place main menu markers at the start of each scene.  I give a label to each menu marker.  I then create the DVD using the Generic template that is in the General Templates.  I change the background to be a continuous looping video from another avi file of about 15 seconds lenghth.  In Preview mode it all looks good, and the buttons are all active and take me to the right scenes (although I notice the ‘Play All’ button does not highlight as I move the cursor to it, even though it works).

I then burn the DVD, calling for max size (about 3.4 GB in this case) and PAL format.  The burning process starts and takes about an hour to complete.  The disc is unreadable on either the computer or a PAL format DVD player and I have a black screen.  The menus buttons and labels do not show, although their borders do highlight if I move the cursor over their location.  But the buttons are not active and will not play any of the scenes.  If I open the VIDEO_TS folder on the computer I can access the video files and play them individually on the computer so they are correctly recorded.

I have used the same basic steps with other PAL videos and it has generally worked although sometimes menu buttons do not highlight as expected.

Andy

• 16. Re: dvd burn problem
                                        Andy Astro Level 1

I start with avi files of the scenes.  There are six of them, each about 10 mins in length and they are in PAL format.  I import these into the timeline, onto one video timeline, and there is no audio.  I then place main menu markers at the start of each scene.  I give a label to each menu marker.  I then create the DVD using the Generic template that is in the General Templates.  I change the background to be a continuous looping video from another avi file.  In Preview mode it all looks good, and the buttons are all active and take me to the right scenes (although I notice the ‘Play All’ button does not highlight as I move the cursor to it, even though it works).

I then burn the DVD, calling for max size (about 3.4 GB in this case) and PAL format.  The burning process starts and takes about an hour to complete.  The disc is unreadable on either the computer or a PAL format DVD player and I have a black screen.  The menus buttons and labels do not show, although their borders do highlight if I move the cursor over their location.  But the buttons are not active and will not play any of the scenes.  If I open the VIDEO_TS folder on the computer I can access the video files and play them individually on the computer.

I have used the same basic steps with other PAL videos and it has generally worked.

Andy

• 17. Re: dvd burn problem
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not immediately see a problem in that workflow.

Let's take one step back, just to make sure that we're on the same page. Please read thorugh this ARTICLE and let me know more about those AVI files. This should not have an effect on the Burning, but there could be a clue.

Next, what brand of DVD media are you using?

Can you Burn to Folder, and then use the freeware, ImgBurn to Burn the actual DVD?

More questions on your Project"

How many Chapters do you have?

Are any of these Chapter Markers very, very close together?

What modifications, if any, are you making to the Generic Menu/Menu Set?

This is where the AVI info might be of the most use. What are the full specs. of the Motion Menu's AVI file?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: dvd burn problem
                                            Andy Astro Level 1

Hunt,

I read your article and downloaded G-Spot.  It tells me the container for the avi file is as follows:

DV type 2 AVI

AVI 1.0

25 pics/s, I/L

25 frames/sec, BFF

50 fields/sec, PAL

720x576, 4:3

In other words they are everything that a PAL avi should be.  They were originally created by exporting edited video camera files from Adobe Premier Elements and should therefore be compatible with Adobe.  They are easily played by Windows Media Player or VirtualDub.

As you suggested, I tried first writing the DVD to a folder then using a download from www.imgburn.com to burn it to DVD.   That DVD had exactly the same problems (no menu appearing).  The media is Memorex DVD+R

There are six scenes that I have main menu markers for.  Each scene also has a stop marker at the end which is very close to the menu marker of the next scene.  I am not making any modifications to the Generic Menu/Menu Set other than to change the size and color of the font on the labels.

Thanks for thinking about it.

Andy

• 19. Re: dvd burn problem
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

DV-AVI Type II is as good as it gets.

Memorex is about as bad as it gets, but might have nothing to do with your Project's Menu acting up. I would still replaces those with Taiyo Yuden, or Verbatim for much better results and as close to total compatibility as is possible.

Can you do a screen-cap of your Timeline with your Menu, etc. viewable? There might be something there, that would point to the problem.

Thanks for reporting and good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: dvd burn problem
                                                Andy Astro Level 1

It is not the Memorex DVD as the same problem occurs when I save to a folder and view that on the computer.

I have saved a screen that you can look at but I do not think it will tell you much.   I was concerend that the proximity of the Stop Marker to the Scene Markers might have been the problem so, because I had succes with no Stop Markers.  But as you can see, I moved them apart by about a minute of viewing time and this did not fix the problem.

I am now believing this problem is chronic to Adobe.   It does a half way decent job in editing, but as a DVD creator it is pretty poor.

Andy

• 21. Re: dvd burn problem
                                                  Andy Astro Level 1

Not sure the attachment came through last time..................here it is.

Andy

• 22. Re: dvd burn problem
                                                    carltown Level 1

I put all I learned in a paper at:

http://www.netadventures.biz/createdvd.pdf

Carl Townsend

Phone:  (503) 691-9857

Ministry Web Site: http://www.creatingnewworlds.org/

Email: carltown@netadventures.biz

Main  Blog: Portland Christian Examiner:  http://www.examiner.com/x-5155-Portland-Christian-Examiner

• 23. Re: dvd burn problem

Hi, Carl--

Just a warning to be careful about posting your e-mail address to this or other forums.

There are webbots that cruise these forums, just looking for e-mails to spam.

You can avoid most of this by posting your e-mail in a form like carltown at netadventures.biz.

• 24. Re: dvd burn problem
                                                        Andy Astro Level 1

Carl, thank you for the link.  The problem I describe is not related to the actual burning process as it happens if I 'burn' to a folder and use other software to create the actual DVD.

Also, it is not related to the size of my video as I get the same issues when I make it much shorter (but same number of scenes).

It does appear to be an actual shortcoming of Adobe and may be related to the fact that I have Stop markers at the end of each scene.  When I remove them, the problem seems to go away.  It is not their proximity to the Scene markers that is the problem (I put a minute of blank video between them just to be sure), it is their presence.

I have found that the encoding of a DVD with multiple scenes in Adobe is very fragile, and if you make changes to the scene menu (move the buttons around on the screen, change fonts on the labels etc.) then you will have problems, even before you start the DVD creation process.  The most often occurring example, is that the "Play All" or "Main Menu" buttons on the DVD will no longer highlight when you move the cursor over them.  And this happens in Preview mode, before you have even made the DVD.

Andy

• 25. Re: dvd burn problem
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

Are you sure that you want Stop Markers?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: dvd burn problem
                                                            Andy Astro Level 1

If I do not have Stop Markers, the replay reaches the end of ascene and just continues on to the next scene in the sequence they are recorded on the DVD.  I want it to return to the Main Menu after playing a scene so that I can then choose which scene to play next.  I believe Stop markers are the only way to do that.

Andy