10 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2009 1:00 PM by jersnav

Will Quad Core significantly help with encoding times?

jersnav

Currently I am using 3.0gHz core duo and am getting slightly better than real time encoding when encoding 720x480 to mp4 format using H.264 compression.  Will a quad core help out at all?

• 1. Re: Will Quad Core significantly help with encoding times?
          Kodebuster Level 3

First off, PE will take advantage of multiple cores, so even a middle of the road Quad (like an Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz) will show an improvement over your existing Duo.

If you move to a high end Quad Q9650 (@ 3.0 ghz), or an i7Core Quad with multi-threading (essentaily 8 threads), you would see a significant improvement in encoding times.

If and when Adobe gets to a 64-bit version of PE, you will have then entered the promised land...

If you like processor charts, check out this link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-q3-2008/3DMark-Vantage-CPU,817.html

Just find your current CPU, then look at what you can get above and beyond that (assuming money is no object)...

• 2. Re: Will Quad Core significantly help with encoding times?
            jersnav Level 1

Thank you!  I have a Q9650 now on the way.

• 3. Re: Will Quad Core significantly help with encoding times?
              Kodebuster Level 3

Keep in mind that if you'll be running XP, or Vista-32, they will only utilize a max of 3 gig of memory. Anything more than that is a waste (of your hard earned money).

Even if your running Vista-64, PE7 will only run in 32-bit compatability mode, so the 3 gig memory limitation will still apply.

That being said, if it is Vista-64, I would still try and get as much memory as your wallet will bear.

This will position you for taking full advantage of 64-bit apps as they become available, and extend the life of your new purchase...

• 4. Re: Will Quad Core significantly help with encoding times?
                jersnav Level 1

I received my Q9650 today and got it installed!

My 800kbs Flash encoding times have been cut by about 25%.  1 hour of video was taking slightly more than 2 hours to encode with my E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0gHz. 1 hour of video is now taking slightly less than 1.5 hours.  I am definitely happy with this time savings.

Interestingly Windows XP is only utilizing about 25% of each CPU when I am encoding.  I wonder why the CPUs are not being more fully utilized?

The CPU is also running fairly cool when encoding usually between 37C and 41C.  I still have about 2 GB of RAM (out of the 3GB innstalled) available.

Side note:

Two small problems with install is that the CPU fan power cable got in the way of the CPU fan on first boot (my fault).   Other is that the stock Intel CPU cooler is a little bit touchy to install sometimes.  I've never been able to get the plastic retaining clips to successfully lock on the first try and sometimes it is hard to tell if they are truely connected. Otherwise aneasy upgrade.

• 5. Re: Will Quad Core significantly help with encoding times?
                  Paul_LS Level 4

Some encoding formats do not fully utilize all cores. However, when I encode to high definition H.264 or MPEG2 I get around 100% usage of all 4 cores.

Those little fixing clips really suck on the Intel fans, as you, I always have trouble getting them to seat properly and I am always concerned they are not fully seated.

• 6. Re: Will Quad Core significantly help with encoding times?
                    Kodebuster Level 3

Glad that you are satisfied with current results.

I don't utilize Flash, so can't comment in that area, so I'm not sure if CPU at 25%, and Mem usage at <1 gig is normal for this situation.

Here are the approx times that I see on a current project that I'm playing with:

1:40 (I hour and 40 minutes) of video on Timeline (VOB type files ripped from a DVD recorder).

Some transitions, few effects (nothing fancy).

Simple Menu with audio loop.

Burn to Folder is around 50 minutes.

Running a Q6600 quad at 2.44 ghz, 3 gig mem.

All CPU's ping @ approx 90%, mem usage sits between 1.5 and  1.95 gig.

(PE4, Vista-32, no other background processing running, except normal system stuff)...

• 7. Re: Will Quad Core significantly help with encoding times?
                      kentRda Level 1

YES! YES! YES!   Get a Quad-core (like an i7) as well as at least 8 GB of memory.  Next, make sure that your new computer has Vista 64-bit O.S on it. Then, you'll be set - and amazed at the performance.

• 8. Re: Will Quad Core significantly help with encoding times?
                        Kodebuster Level 3

I just ordered from HP an Intel Core i7 940 @ 2.93 ghz, 12 gig mem, Nvidia w\1 gig\HDMI, Bluray writer, and gobs of storage.

I upgraded to PE7 (from PE4) and will run Vista-64.

The anticipation is killing me.

I also ordered and received yesterday an HP 23 inch hi-def monitor with HDMI (model HP w2338h)

I was using a plain vanilla 18 inch flat panel for editing which I thought was great, but this 23 inch has real estate galore. This display is visually outstanding, a thing of beauty (and PE4 never looked better).

I just did my part to help kick start the economy...

• 9. Re: Will Quad Core significantly help with encoding times?
                          kentRda Level 1

Kodebuster,

I just recently got a similarly equipped Dell machine (very similar, in fact, except I only got 8GB of memory).   Believe me, it flies! And, I'm sure your machine will do every bit as well.  90% of the people who come to the forum are usually there because their computer just isn't up to the task.  As I mentioned previously, with HD and AVCHD, one must have a very (I mean VERY) capable computer to process and edit it with.   Enjoy your new machine!

Kent

• 10. Re: Will Quad Core significantly help with encoding times?
                            jersnav Level 1

Anyone have any thoughts as to why encoding to FLV does not use all of my CPU resources?  If I encode to other formats like MP4 all 4 cores of the CPU are pretty much 100% used.  However encoding to FLV, the CPU cores are only about 33% used.