4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2013 2:02 PM by stephenrgoebel

Replacing a subclip with an After Effects Composition doesn't work properly

bobbymacadobe

I have a Premiere Project with DV PAL footage. I have gone through my footage and identified all sorts of subclips in my project, and arranged them into bins.  For a few, on the sequence timeline, I want to replace them with After Effects Compositions so I can add some effects.

If I right-click on a designated subclip (or part of a subclip), and choose "Replace with After Effects Composition", After Effects starts up and I end up with an After Effects project containing 3 items:

- a composition called "MyProject Linked Comp 1" (duration: length of sub clip, but the comp's layer itself (the next comp) has a duration of zero, so I just see black)

- another composition called "My Subclip" (duration: length of subclip, starting at beginning of original video footage, not at start of subclip),

- and then the full original video file also called "My Subclip" (and I mean the full original video file that the subclip points to).  This is full length.

The linked Composition is therefore viewed as being blank in After Effects, and is returned as such in Premiere Pro.

What does work properly is if I simply drag a selected clip (in/out) from the Source Monitor in Premiere Pro to the sequence timeline, and then right click and choose  "Replace with After Effects Composition".

Then I end up with an After Effects project containing:

- a composition called "MyProject Linked Comp 2" (duration: length of selected clip, and the comp's layer itself (the next comp) has the correct duration, so I see the selected clip!)

- another composition called "My SourceVideo" (duration: length of full original video, starting at beginning of original video footage, not at start of subclip),

- and then the full original video file also called "My SourceVideo" (and I mean the full original video file that the selected clip points to).  This is full length.

In this case the linked Composition is therefore viewed as being the selected clip in After Effects, and is returned as such in Premiere Pro.

So subclips don't work as I would expect them. I have also tried with a few different video formats. Can anyone else reproduce this behaviour, or even better, find a way to make it work?

I am running Windows Vista x64 Ultimate, 8GB ram, CS4

Message was edited by: bobbymacadobe - added system info