1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 25, 2009 2:59 AM by martin_fifa

Editing Dolby 5.1 audio

Hello all,

I'm a new user of video equipment and Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0, so please bear with me. I have searched for an answer to this question in the Forums, but not found a suitable answer yet. I hope one of you good people can help me - and if you do I would be very grateful indeed.

I have a Sony HDR-SR11 and I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0 as previously stated. I'm a journalist and I want to use my camera for sit-down interviews. Consequently, I bought a Sony ECM-HW2 bluetooth microphone (capable of recording in Dolby 5.1, just like my camera) in order to make sure that the subject of my interviews have the same (if not better) audio quality as myself.

However, when I feed the audio and video from my camera into APE 7, there is just a single line of audio (so you cannot distinguish a sound wave). The setting on both my camera and bluetooth microphone are Dolby 5.1 - so there is no conflict there.

I am able to see a sound wave when I record using the camera only and putting the selection to 2.ch, but when you try and add the bluetooth microphone on the 'Mono' setting - but the sound has an echo and is somewhat distorted.

So, in conclusion, here's the dilemma I face

Camera in 5.1 - microphone in 5.1: Excellent sound quality, undistorted, but unable to edit/see the sound file for editing purposes.

Camera in 2 ch - microphone in Mono: Sound echoing/distorted, able to see a sound file for editing purposes.

Camera in 5.1 - microphone off - Good sound quality (but not good enough for an interview), unable to see a sound file for editing purposes.
      Camera in 2 ch - microphone off - OK sound quality (but not good enough for an interview), able to see a sound file for editing purposes.

Obviously, I think the best solution would be able to see the wave file with both the camera and microphone using Dolby 5.1, but I'm struggling to find a way at present.

Thanks for your time, if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Martin

• 1. Re: Editing Dolby 5.1 audio
          Paul_LS Level 4

PE7 can import 5.1 audio but you can not edit it at the chanel level and PE7 can not export 5.1 audio, just stereo. You can still edit the 5.1 audio even though you can not see the waveform on the timeline (well, infact if you set the track width to the highest you can see the 6 channel lines and if you unlink video/audio and double click on the audio you can see the waveform in the clip monitor... even though at a low level). That said all you can do is adjust the overall level. If you have the Audio Mixer open you can see the levels for the 5.1 audio (at the channel level).