3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2009 12:08 PM by Mylenium

AECS4 seems much slower than AECS3: Not sure why

PedroAlberto Level 1

I have AECS3 and AECS4 installed on my new machine. The specs are:

Vista 64 business version

6 GB

2 Xeon Quad Cores

Nvidia Quadro NVS 295

Both programs recognize my 8 cores but both programs seem to operate better when I do not enable render multiple frames smultaenously.

That does not make sense.

Also in AECS4, everything is so slow. I have resolution to a quarter and it still seems to load each frame VERY slowly.

Any ideas? If you need more information, let me know.

Simon

• 1. Re: AECS4 seems much slower than AECS3: Not sure why
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Both programs recognize my 8 cores but both programs seem to operate better when I do not enable render multiple frames smultaenously.

>

> That does not make sense.

If the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously option always improved things, then it wouldn't have to be an option; it would always be on.

Here's some information from the "Memory & Multiprocessing" section of After Effects Help that might help:

"Using the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing feature does not speed up the rendering of all compositions. The rendering of some compositions is memory-intensive, such as when you are working with very large background plates that are several thousands of pixels tall and wide. The rendering of some compositions is bandwidth-intensive (I/O-intensive), such as when you are working with many source files, especially if they are not served by a fast, local, dedicated disk drive. The Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing feature works best at improving performance when the resource that is most exercised by the composition is CPU processing power, such as when applying a processor-intensive effect like a glow or blur. Because antivirus software operates by monitoring every read and write operation, such software can decrease rendering speed, especially with the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously preference selected."

> The specs are:

> Vista 64 business version

> 6 GB

> 2 Xeon Quad Cores

6 gigabytes is a very small amount of RAM for 8 cores. If you're trying to use all 8 cores for rendering with that amount of RAM, then you're starving each of the cores of the RAM that it needs to render. So the background processes are likely to start up, see that they don't have enough RAM to do anything useful, and then shut back down. That takes time.

from the same section of Help:

"The amount of RAM required for each background process varies depending on your system configuration; at least 1 GB per process is recommended. Optimum performance is achieved with computer systems with at least 2 GB of installed RAM per processor core."

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AECS4 seems much slower than AECS3: Not sure why
            PedroAlberto Level 1

Oh! I had no idea.

Thank you!

I will turn it off!

I hope that helps.

What about the slow response on the timeline in AECS4. It seems to keep loading every frame from different keypoints for example. But yet my resolution is at a quarter.

Simon

• 3. Re: AECS4 seems much slower than AECS3: Not sure why
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

PedroAlberto wrote:

What about the slow response on the timeline in AECS4. It seems to keep loading every frame from different keypoints for example. But yet my resolution is at a quarter.

Simon

Depends on what you're working with. For some source formats such as AVCHD or otehr MPEG derivatives, AE needs to fully uncompress the frames which in effect almost always means it needs to decompress multiple frames from the data stream to reconstruct the current one, based on how MPEG works. likewise, general slowness of your harddrives could also be part of the problem, but even average SATA disks are usually fast enough, so it's unlikely. Anotehr possible case is presented by OpenGL features. Depending on the size of your source footage, there may be delays in loading the frames as texture buffers into the graphics card's RAM. Lastly, of course there are occasions, where certain effects or nested compositions will slow down things considerably based on AE's render order. Just investigate these things. If you're working with compressed sources, pre-rendering them to standard Quicktime files for instance may speed up things considerably.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful