8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2009 4:11 PM by the_wine_snob

Imported Media Looks Low Quality - Why??

Rich_P7

Hi. I just got Priemiere Elements 7.0, Before I was using Windows Movie Maker under Vista. When I import DVD movie files into that - they look just like on the DVD - really good quality. However I  just imported the same files into Premiere Elements and they look low quality and a bit blocky. What do I need to do to get them looking normal. Thank you very much

Rich

• 1. Re: Imported Media Looks Low Quality - Why??
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

Tell us more about the files being Imported. You say DVD files. Are these files ripped from an existing DVD?

It could be something as simple as needing to Render the files in PE, such as hitting Enter. Is there a red line above the Clip(s) in the Timeline? If so, hit Enter, the line will turn green, and your Program Monitor will be showing a better approximation of the file. Remember, the Program Monitor is an emulation of the file(s), and is not a perfect example of how the files will look, when you Export.

Also, remember that if you are going from DVD (MPEG-2 compression) to PE (internally converting to DV-AVI) and then Exporting to DVD (another MPEG-2 conversion), you will have lost quality. It would be far better to go to the source files that were used to create the MPEG-2 files for that DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Imported Media Looks Low Quality - Why??
            Rich_P7 Level 1

They are ripped files from an original film DVD. There were encoded before so I ripped them to the hardrive using DVD Decrypter. They are .VOB files. The thing is that the same files look good in Windows Movie Maker. In Premiere they are shimmery and a bit blocky and look a bit low quality. There's no red line above the time line. Could it be anything to do with the type of pixels used? - I read something about this in help but I couldn't find where to change them

I might try and export/publish a test movie to see if it comes out ok. Something else is when I use Full screen it is a bit small - its bigger but not full screen. One more question if you don't mind on an uunrelated matter - I don't like letterboxing. Can I make the film fill the screen/window when it is exported?

Thanks - I appreciate the help

Rich

• 3. Re: Imported Media Looks Low Quality - Why??
              Rich_P7 Level 1

Actually there is a red line - timeline wasn't expanded properly before! - I am new will see how it goes.

Having some trouble trimming the clip at the moment as well. Can I do it without dragging the edges of the clip? I would like to do it by just setting the marker to the desired trim point if possible. Dragging doesn't seem so accurate, and it won't scroll when dragging either. Thank you.

• 4. Re: Imported Media Looks Low Quality - Why??
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are a number of ways to be very precise in your trimming.

The easiest is to move the CTI (the playhead) on the timeline to the precise point you where you want to cut. You can move it frame by frame using the arrow keys on your keyboard.

Once you've located the precise spot for your trim, drag the end of your clip. The trim should "snap" to your CTI's position.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Imported Media Looks Low Quality - Why??
                  Rich_P7 Level 1

Thank you Steve. That's a really good way to trim the clip. I just zoom out now so I can see the edge and then move it to the red marker. Works very nicely.

The video came out looking great when I exported it - it just looks a bit rubbish in the preview window, but I don't mind as long as the finished movie looks good! Just want to make it fill the screen a bit more if this is possible - kind of letterboxed at the moment - on both sides - is there an option to make it bigger. Thanks - I am almost happy now

• 6. Re: Imported Media Looks Low Quality - Why??
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

What you are seeing in your workflow is twofold. WMP (Windows Media Player) is playing the MPEG-2 file directly, while the Preview in PE is playing a DV-AVI Type II file, which is what PE needs to work with. As you also found, the red line indicates that one needs to do a Render to get better playback. Also, if your Program Monitor is set to "Fit," the quality of playback (remember, this is just an emulation of the playback of the file), it will be slightly degraded. A setting of 100% will get you closer to what you will be seeing in final and should be used to judge the final output - though it is STILL just an emulation.

Now, the better workflow would be to go back to before that source DVD was created. The source footage will be better, as that DVD has been compressed to MPEG-2 and image data lost forever. You rip the MPEG-2 files to something else, or maybe directly to MPEG-2, then bring into PE, which will convert them into DV-AVI Type II. Though only slightly compressed, it cannot restore the lost data. Then, if you Export back to DVD, you are re-compressing to MPEG-2 once more. The quality of the original source footage will be many times better, if you can go back to it. If not, then you are stuck with the quality hit. The best that one can ever do is to use an editing program that will edit the MPEG-2 files natively, and not re-Transcode anything that has not been altered. However, most of these will offer limited editing functions.

What you are doing is akin to taking a film negative, and printing it to a "silk finished" 4x6 print, and then scanning that print to bring into Photoshop. It will never be as good, or as sharp, as that original negative. However, sometimes we just cannot go back to the source and have to live with what we've got.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS, I think that Steve addressed your other question. Let us know if you now have all the necessary info.

• 7. Re: Imported Media Looks Low Quality - Why??
                      Rich_P7 Level 1

Thanks for the info Wine Snob. The video came out looking great when I exported/shared it. I was worried it would look like what it did in the preview window. I don;t mind if it doesn't look so good in the preview window as long as it looks high quality at the end (which it did). Thank you.

• 8. Re: Imported Media Looks Low Quality - Why??
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Excellent! Glad that the quality was more than adequate.

With non DV-AVI Type II Assets, about as good as you can get, for previews is to Render (hit the Enter key), and then changing the Program Monitor from "Fit" to 100%.

Remember, the "preview" is just that, an emulation, a preview. It will also be on a usually higher-resolution computer monitor, and if you are going to DVD, the end result will most likely be shown on a conventional TV set - not exactly apples and apples there.

Still, preview with the above suggestions will give you a close approximation.

Thanks for reporting back,

Hunt