1 2 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2009 1:29 PM by harikaramsingh

CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?

I usually use v6.5, and AVI playback is fine....Then I did a clean install of CS4, now AVI playback is jerky, choppy, slow...What is up with that?Windows Task Manager tells me Premiere CS4>"ImporterProcess Server" is using over 50% of CPU muscle..is that the problem, whats the workaround?...the PC is plenty fast with enough ram, and has done plenty of successful video editing in many formats(including AVI), in the past

THANKS

• 1. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Without details nobody can tell. Mind reading: your source material is not good, your muscle is used the wrong way, your settings are wrong, your disk setup is insufficient, etc.

If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

• 2. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
            Level 1

Dear reply, ..Thank You very little!   read the post again. I routinely edit these AVIs in v6.5

My System is set, my disc has plenty of headroom, the AVIs play everywhere else in players and edit apps, I edit video for a living

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH PREMIERE CS4 playing AVIs?, and also why is ImportProcessServer sucking up over 50% of cpu processing power.

I have since encountered many other postings about Premiere CS4's poor playback of AVIs

• 3. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

AVI is meaningless, just a wrapper. What codec?

• 4. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                Level 1

I think you might be not be seeing the question I've asked. Let me state it very clearly,Why cant Premiere Pro CS4 play back the same AVIs that Premier v6.5 CAN?...regardless of the codec! These AVIs are Premiere v6.5 originated.

These AVIs are not a rare sublime proprietary codec, they were created through version 6.5, via ingestion from DVtape. The Question is: Why wont Premiere CS4 play them,(When vs6.5 will), and why is IMPORT PROCESS SERVER functioning endlessly mindlessly burning over 50% of my CPU's processing power in the background?....Windows Task Manager reports Premiere's CS4's IMPORT PROCESS SERVER consuming over 50% of cpu capacity(what I term, muscle).

Very simply, Do you have any insight on an answer to these questions? If so, I would certainly sincerely thank you for any useful information..

Thanks

• 5. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Inquiringmindfield wrote:

Why cant Premiere Pro CS4 play back the same AVIs that Premier v6.5 CAN?...regardless of the codec!

Because the playback engine in CS4 is different.  Premiere 6.5 relied on DirectX.  Premiere Pro CS4 has its own internal playback engine.  So the codec inside the .avi wrapper is indeed relevant.

If the codec is anything other than type-2 DV, then the ImportProcessServer is chewing on the codec in preparation for editing (not just playback).

Are you trying to play these clips immediately after importing?  Give the IPS a little time first.  How much time?  That depends on your system specs - your operating system, CPU, RAM, hard drive setup, etc.  IOW, the very things that are asked for in the link that Harm gave you earlier.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                    Douglas R Wagner

Jeff is quite correct.

I have talked with technical support at Adobe and indeed the playback engine is quite different.  It is possible they will improve playback efficiency in the 4.1 update to come out near the end of May.

But there is an action you can take right now which will help somewhat.  It's more of a temporary work-around.  It's been mentioned in other posts and I tried it, and for my playback problem with HDV on CS4 (I had no playback problems in an older version of Premier Pro on my computer), I was able to get reasonably stable playback.

First, bring up the Windows task manager (ctrl-alt-delete).  Select the Processes tab.  Right click on the process named Importer Process Server.  Select Priority, and then raise it up one level higher in priority to “AboveNormal”.  Once you exit Premier Pro, this process will disappear.  Note that when you restart Premier Pro, you'll need to repeat this step.  I haven't found any obvious drawbacks to this clunky workaround.  But to be honest because of this I am not yet using Premier Pro CS4.

Hope that helps some.  Cross your fingers for playback improvements in version 4.1.

• 7. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Instead of wild guesses and lots of posts running off in every direction, what is wrong with giving details? Is the OP on a top-secret mission that falls under the NSA?

• 8. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                        Douglas R Wagner Level 1

I don't believe we are in the status of all wild guesses.

He was very clear in explaining what type of AVI we are dealing with - the type that comes from a capture from a miniDV tape.  My computer shows it as an AVI when I capture SD from a miniDV camera.  That's why he said AVI.  And yes, there are many kinds of AVI's out there.  But we can be pretty sure that since he's talking about a miniDV camera, that it will be the type 2, DV25 standard which is what any DV consumer camera I've used on a PC will give to you.

One thing he didn't share was his computer specs.  Most people are not having DV playback trouble in CS4, so we are guessing about one aspect, and that is that most likely his computer is old enough to where he doesn't have the CPU horsepower for what the more complex playback engine in CS4 needs for smooth DV playback.

It's good to ask for more details, but you carry heavy methodolgy in the way you ask for detail.  Please just ask people what type of camera they used, if it was SD or HD, and computer specs, and then most of the time we have enough info.  Maybe 3% of folks out there are going to be able to handle your "what's the codec question" - valid to ask, but can be usually obtained with high accuracy simply by knowing the model of the video camera and mode for the recorded video.

• 9. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                          Level 1

Dear Replicants, ( all who replied),

Thank You, I'm sorry I was away, am in Japan and its getting late, had to tuck my lil' boy in, before rejoining the fray

No secrets... Windows PC running Vista, 4 gig ram, hyperthreading 3.4 processor, this box has done A LOT of work with vs. 6.5

The AVIs were indeed captured from mini dv camera via Premiere vs.6.5

IMPORT PROCESSOR runs endlessly for hours, ..left the app running all night...NO IMPROVEMENT

Am at a loss

Can use AVID too, so am heading back, gonna try Liquid...gotta say this sucks, I have little use for an editor that cant utilize many many flavors of imports...I had so much faith in Adobe, have been using Photoshop since befor it had layers...this sucks...am off to AVIDland or back to vs 6.5

THANK YOU ALL

• 10. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

OK, the material should not be the problem. Running Vista may. Did you turn off the Sidebar, Aero, Defender, and a whole lot of Vista processes that are not necessary? Your CPU is not really up to date and Vista puts quite a burden on such a system.

• 11. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              He was very clear in explaining what type of AVI we are dealing with - the type that comes from a capture from a miniDV tape.  My computer shows it as an AVI when I capture SD from a miniDV camera.  That's why he said AVI.  And yes, there are many kinds of AVI's out there.  But we can be pretty sure that since he's talking about a miniDV camera, that it will be the type 2, DV25 standard which is what any DV consumer camera I've used on a PC will give to you.

Douglas,

Where did you derive that from? He only said AVI that he used with 6.5. He never mentioned a mini-DV camera. Just read the previous posts. The one troubling aspect may be that the OP mentioned: DISC (singular). Not disks, so his disk setup may be causing the lackluster performance.

• 12. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                Douglas R Wagner Level 1

Good point Harm.

He only specified DV tape, so it could have been DVCAM for example.  I inferred type 2 DV25 as being the most likely format he was using.

Nonetheless, if he's using DV tape, isn't it almost for sure going to be either DV video, DVCAM, or Panasonic's DVCPRO?  All of these have a direct codec specification, removing codec ambiguity.  However, to say that, I'm also making the other assumption that if it's one of those 3, he learned long ago to ensure his timeline video format setting was matched to his video capture format.

As long as his sequence settings are correct, and there's no red bar on the timeline to indicate any compatibility problem when he lays down his captured video on the timeline, then the issue for him really is probably what you just pointed out on his computer specs.

The biggest issue is likey his running Vista on an older single-core machine.  And you're quite right about needing to shut down a lot of unneeded processes in Vista.  I'll be skipping Vista.  For me, I'm going to need to buy a new computer to do HDV editing with CS4, and when I get to that point, I'll try out the new upcoming RC release of Windows 7 (or the shipping version if it comes out later this summer as was recently rumored to be a possibility).

But for what gain is all our discussion now . . . . he's gone.  The poor lad who started this thread says he has given up and headed to AVID-land, so we're left chatting with ourselves!!

• 13. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                  Level 1

Even though I said "Thanks", you had to reply further, scoring rhetoric points. You know I had closed the subject, but you see, I keep getting your posts thru hotmail...so let me re-iterate...its not VISTA,

I tried playback of the same AVIs on my XP based machine running trial download CS4, the same processor, ram, same everything....SAME PROBLEM! But the AVIs play fine on both machines(VISTA and XP), in v6.5. Now, are you going to tell me its the electrical current here in Japan?

Video came from footage shot on San Francisco BAY with a SONY VX2100, min dv....Let me reiterate, the AVIs play back fine in vs6.5 on both Vista and XP OS PCs

And your reference to me as a "LAD"!...Dude, please! I've been editing since the days of top loading 5850s, if you know what those were? I was on the pre release testing team for v3,Buffy.

Aaaaand ...What do you think is wrong with AVID? AVID has never let me down.

Premiere Pro CS4, has. Please see some of the posts on this forum site that complain about PPCS4 playback.

So once again, THANKS!. I have to get back to work.

• 14. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                    Douglas R Wagner Level 1

Sincere apologies  . . you're experience is way above mine.   I totally agree that Premiere Pro CS4 has a serious problem with its playback engine.  I've used the VX2100 as well, and you're totally right to say it should work fine on your machine with CS4 -- if Adobe could do their engineering well.

My PC, with very similar specs to yours, could handle all of the VX2100 footage perfectly and smoothly play it back when I bought this machine and used Premiere Pro 1.0.

I've tried out Avid.  It is a solid platform.  Edius is as well.  Didn't mean to knock Avid -- was actually pointing back to Harm saying you've made a professional decision in order to move forward with your work, and to go back to Avid for a functioning editing platform.  Smart.  Oh yes, you can disable the emailing feature on this thread so if anyone beyond me adds anything, it won't be sent.

• 15. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

As Jeff pointed out, the playback engine in CS4 is quite different than in 6.5. In addition, each new version requires better hardware, more disk space and performs more house keeping tasks (like conforming audio, creating PEK files, etc.). The same applies to the OS. Not always is a newer version progress. Programmers often seem more interested in adding new 'features' than improving the speed or decreasing required disk space. Where have the days gone when one would use assembly optimization for better performance and memory usage?

However, with your material and your CPU, CS3 runs quite good in my experience. With CS4 I have no experience on that CPU, but it seems unlikely that performance would really go down the drain from CS3 to CS4. On a similar CPU I have not experienced any degradation in performance from 6.5 to 2.0 or CS3, all under XP. Obviously something else is going on that causes this degradation in performance. If you want to get to the bottom of this, follow the suggestions and links in this post:

If you need help quickly...Guideline for posting an effective question

If you gave up and switched to AVID, OK and good luck.

• 16. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                        Level 1

I respect Adobe. I love Photoshop, it was the single most liberating step forward for image makers since cave drawing.

and respect AVID

and have used FCP extensively and I respect that app, BUT I am no MAC fan

and respect people who try to help...I wish I could use PPCS4 for this project but it aint working....whatever

THANK YOU ALL

• 17. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                          Nick Schale-yeNCYk Level 1

So, my system is perhaps a little beefier than yours and I had the same problem. However my issue was with HD footage (35Mbs EX1 footage).

Just as a wild guess.. are you editing in a sequence that matches the resolution of the tape EXACTLY?

I ask because that seemed to be my problem. I shoot in HD and then (for a lot of projects) have to export to SD, so I would incorrectly (...well incorrectly in CS4... sigh) edit in a sequence that matched my output.

This was never a problem in CS3, so that is a HUGE disapointment. However, you can, in CS4 create multiple sequences with different resolutions in a single project. So edit in the correct resolution and nest it in an output resolution when you are ready to render.

Like i said, may be a long shot but hey. You seem at the end of your rope so maybe this shot in the dark is worth the try.

• 18. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                            Douglas R Wagner Level 1

I just did my first test of standard DV footage with Premiere Pro CS4.  I have been doing HDV, but that's on hold waiting for release 4.1 for PremPro.

Figured I should try it on standard def DV, since my computer specs are so close to the 3.4 GHz machine mentioned in this post that is having stutter problems with DV footage.

To be exact, I've tested type 2 DV25 footage, what you would get from the DV mode taken off a Sony VX2100 -- and I found no jerking or stuttering on my computer in Premiere Pro CS4 (patch 4.0.1) on playback with an NTSC DV (48KHz audio, non-widescreen) timeline.  I was watching on the Program monitor since Adobe tech support says that's the view with the heaviest processing stream.

Folks, this guy has years and years of experience editing with Premiere 6.5.  It's a pretty safe guess he has his timeline settings correct for his DV footage.

My specs are a single core Hyper-Threaded 3.8 GHz Pentium, 4 GB of RAM on an 800 MHz FSB motherboard.  Windows XP, SP3, 32-bit.  Msconfig used for turning off all non-essential processes.

One thing that may be helping me a bit is having a RAID 0 hard drive configuration.  I'd be surprised if my 3.8 GHz versus his 3.4 GHz was enough to explain my steady playback.  But Adobe says on the Production Premium box (and on the web) that for SD content, which is what we're talking about here, you don't need a striped, performance RAID 0 drive configuration.  You would for HDV.  But even for HDV, Adobe says that a 3.4 GHz single core Pentium should be enough.

It is not enough for HDV on my computer for stutter/stop free playback with Premiere Pro CS4.  Obviously not enough either for DV in this Post's experience.

Adobe engineers -- hope you're working hard on this!!

There must be hundreds of Adobe customers who upgraded and were burned by this.  The fellow who started this post was smart; doing DV work, he could download the tryout, and find this problem before he forked out over a Kilobuck to feel taken!  HDV is disabled on the tryout -- I do HDV now, and didn't have the opportunity to see the problem coming (well, maybe if I had poured through the posts first).  Now, looks like it'll be an 8-month wait to hope for, maybe, an improvement on release 4.1.

Or, just pony up another Kilobuck or 2 for a new computer.

• 19. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              you don't need a striped, performance RAID 0 drive configuration.  You would for HDV.

I disagree.  Any standard camera format will perform perfectly fine with a single modern hard drive.  HDV and DV, and even AVCHD at it's best all have roughly the same data transfer rate - 25 Mbps.  You will not see any difference in disk performance between any of those three.  XDCAM EX footage ups the ante to 35 Mbps, and DVCPRO HD has the highest at 100 Mbps, but even that won't strain the limits of a single, modern drive.

Where a RAID becomes necessary is only with Uncompressed footage, which will probably not apply to the vast majority of Premiere users.

• 20. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                Douglas R Wagner Level 1

Yes, I didn't stop to think about the bit rates -- Jim's absolutely right about the bit rates being the same till you get up to the professional formats that go above 25 Mbps.  A single NTFS-formatted 7200 rpm drive ought to do just fine.

Even the parallel IDE interfaces (also called these days PATA), such as at 100 MB/s and the current maximum 133 MB/s, had data rates well above the video data rates we're discussing here (note B means Byte, and lower case "b" means bit).  A quote from Wikipedia, on actual drive performance which won't reach the maximum numbers of 100 or 133, says, "As of 2008 mechanical hard disk drives can transfer data at up to 127 MB/s, which is within the capabilities of the older PATA/133 specification."  It mentions that in 2005, they could even then achieve 80 MB/s as a sustained data transfer rate.  We're still way above the video rate of 25 Mega bits per second.

Here is a direct copy I found from Adobe's Knowledgebase on drive requirements in the topic of speed optimization:

"Dedicated 7,200 RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD; SCSI disk subsystem preferred"

Sure enough, RAID 0 doesn't get mentioned unless you're doing "HD".  And by their designation "HD", I think they are talking about the higher data rates that Jim mentioned.  HD is not to be confused with HDV.  HD would be the formats above 25 Mbps, or uncompressed HD.

I am a tad bit confused though by Adobe saying a "Dedicated" 7,200 RPM hard drive.  Do they mean a video storage drive separate from the OS/pagefile drive?  If so, given Jim's note on drive performance being well above video rates, is having 2 hard drives really going to make a difference?

• 21. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Douglas,

Jim's statement about not needing a raid is somewhat limited. It is correct when using only a single track, but in the situation where your disk is getting fuller and transfer rates drop and you have multiple video tracks and possibly a number of audio tracks, the requirements for sustained transfer rapidly increase. Let's say you have 10 video tracks, then your required transfer rate need to be at least 10 x 3.6 MB = 36 MB/s. However, seek times and disk latency then start to play a distinct role, so you may need a tested transfer rate of more than 50 MB/s if the disk is not fragmented and your files are physically close together. If you add audio tracks the requirements are increased again. Add to that housekeeping tasks of the OS and PR, access to rendered files, pagefile, etc. and a raid may become necessary.

In an ideal situation you would have a bundle of hard disks just to perform all different disk accesses to different hard disks, one for OS/programs, one for pagefile, one for video, one for audio, one for projects, etc. The lesser disks you have implies more bundling of disk activity on those disks, thereby reducing performance.

Jim has never shown a liking of raids AFAIK. Raids however are not magical or mysterious, they are pretty simple and they do increase performance significantly. Whether it is useful in an individual situation depends on the nature of your projects and your workflow. For me it is good to have raids and some individual disks, but that need not be the case for somebody else. I currently have 17 internal hard disks, one for OS/programs, one for audio and stock footage, one for final projects, two in raid0 for pagefile/preview/scratch and 12 in raid30 for media and projects. The servers are all raided as well, as is the NAS.

• 22. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I am a tad bit confused though by Adobe saying a "Dedicated" 7,200 RPM hard drive.  Do they mean a video storage drive separate from the OS/pagefile drive?

That's precisely what they mean.  Ideally you will have a media drive with nothing on it but captured video clips.

• 23. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Jim has never shown a liking of raids AFAIK.

That's entirely untrue.  I think you know well enough I'm a regular champion of RAID 3 for video editing.  You get the best performance with data security and little or no degradation in the event of a rebuild.

My point in this thread was to point out that whatever benefits a preferred raid level gives you, it really isn't needed for editing standard camera formats.  Even with 10 streams, your CPU is likely to give out forcing a render before your single modern disk falters.

• 24. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                        Douglas R Wagner Level 1

Thank you, to both Jim and Harm for a great series of technical posts on this thread.  Really fun to read and learn from!

A study on drive performance I did yesterday on my RAID 0 configuration may add a bit of thought to our discussion.  I evaluated disk access times, and min/max read times.  Plus did reading up about RAID controller cards.

First interesting discovery (at least for me) . . . as your video files get placed deeper on your drive, the access times increase significantly and data rates slow down.  Reports I've read explain this, and it's the simple physics of a platter spinning at a constant RPM.  The read/write head flys over the outer tracks of data much faster than the tracks near the center of the platter.  Sure enough, my read performance graph looks like a dying patient as the test approaches the inner tracks.  Not disastrous, but a good 30% drop in speed.

So first conclusion is that if the drive starts getting close to full, slowdowns can be significant.  A separate plot of access time over position showed that near the end of the drive, access times also increased.  Hard drives start by writing data to the outer edges of the platter, where the head flies fastest and data speeds are at their best.  Data gets placed closer to the middle as you fill up the drive.

Next interesting discovery -- most PC people, like me, use motherboard-based RAID controllers.  Not so good I found out.  Those are all software-based, and use a fair amount of the CPU -- my CPU overhead was around 15%.

With my RAID drive test, I also observed substantial speed "pumping", up and down, which comes from the nature of relying on the motherboard CPU which can't stay focused on just drive access.  My worst-case low points in the pumping got down to about 70 MB/s.

From the reasearch I've done, a PCI-e hardware-based RAID controller will eliminate the pumping and give you around a 20% to 30% speed increase with fairly steady read speeds.  Since my average read rate was about 110 MB/s, I could see that go upwards to 140 MB/s with a hardware-based RAID card, and hold fairly steady performance speeds.  Of course, if video files are fragmented, that'll slow things down somewhat.

I hadn't thought about the effect of multiple tracks of video jumping up the needed bandwith.  A real good point.  But I don't often go beyond 3 tracks of video.  I sometimes do more complex overlays, but then, I will need to render those because my CPU is quickly overtaxed as Jim points out.  And then with rendering, shouldn't the rendered segments be read out as a single video track?  In other words, my workflow would probably rarely involve reading off of more than 3 video tracks, and I'd think Jim's observations are very applicable to me.

So it would seem that RAID 0 gives me quite a bit of performance cushion, even with some of the other system overhead that Harm mentions.

That might change if I went to the professional formats, working with video at 4:2:2, and began moving to less compressed formats.

• 25. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

All good observations.

Though I might point out that even compressed formats that don't require RAID can be 4:2:2.  The lynch pin here is the data transfer rate, not the color subsampling.  Uncompressed SD starts at about 20 MB/s, with Uncompressed HD running to over 200 MB/s.

(Notice that's Bytes, not bits.  As a point of interest, hard drives transfer speeds are rated in Bytes, whereas camera clips are noted in bits.  The 25 Mbps data rate of DV/HDV/AVCHD translates to only about 3.6 MB/s.  So a single drive, even pulling only 60 MB/s transfer rates when near full, will still be plenty fast enough for most people using compressed camera formats.  Even 4 streams of 100 Mbps DVCPRO HD for multicam work translates to only about 50 MB/s.  There are other factors that enter into the equation, certainly, like fragmentation. But the overwhelming majority of Premiere Pro users can do fine without a RAID.  It certainly won't hurt, but neither is it required.)

• 26. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Douglas,

You make a number of important observations for people considering raids. As you noted a software raid controller places a relatively high burden on the CPU, whereas a hardware controller reduces that burden significantly, especially if you can increase the on-board cache memory. I also agree with Jim that he has often stated that a raid3 for video editing is the best solution. I also agree that the majority of users here do not need a raid, but if you need the storage capacity, it may be a good way to go. However, I have noticed that even with a good hardware controller card like the Areca ARC-1680ix-12 with 2 GB on-board ECC cache (this is a PCI-e 8x card) it makes no difference in performance whether you have 10 or 12 disks in a raid30. The difference in storage is there, 10 versus 12 TB gross storage or 8 versus 10 TB net storage, but the HDTach 3.04 long benchmark results do not differ in a significant way. Burst results are still around 1100 MB/s and average read results are around 800 MB/s. So here you encounter the limitations of the bus speed. Also the pumping you mentioned is completely absent with a good controller. You get a nearly straight line in the HD Tach results.

If people want raid, the cheapest way is to use the on-board IHCR or Marvell chip, but it places a relatively high burden on the CPU. The best way is indeed a hardware controller card, preferably based on the IOP348 chip. Areca ARC and ADAPTEC come to mind. 3Ware uses it's own chipset and though not bad, they are not in the same league as the other two. Promise and the like in the budget range are no good and a complete waste of money. Expect to spend around $ 800 plus for a good controller with 12 connectors internally and 4 e-SATA connectors. Important to consider in a purchasing decision is whether the on-board cache memory can be expanded from the regular 256/512 MB to 2 or even 4 GB. Be aware that 2 GB cache can be relatively cheap, but the 4 GB version extremely costly ($ 30 versus $ 300). For safety reasons it is advisable to include a battery backup module (BBM).

BTW, I use a raid30 on my editing machine with BBM, raid5 on the servers and raid6 on the NAS with a UPS.

• 27. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                              MikaelB123

Here's one..

I had exactly the same problem but with less rams and Hz's on my pc.

In the window menu I opened "program monitor" and closed the "reference monitor" and that was it.

d

• 28. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                                Douglas R Wagner Level 1

Interesting, but I tested opening a Reference Monitor window, along with a Program Monitor window, then closed the Reference Monitor window.  That didn't make any difference.  I still get stuttering video. Anyway, in my workflow, I never had a Reference Monitor window open in the first place.  I was only using a Program Monitor.

Are you using DV footage or HDV footage?  DV footage works ok for me without any special tricks.

• 29. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                                  MikaelB123 Level 1

I'm using AVCHD and dv-footage.

d

• 30. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                                    Chacha195

I have the same problem, but I think it has nothing yo do with my camera, but never the less I'm quite a beginner, I've worked with PPcs3 before, and never had an issue with any file. I said that I think it has nothing to do with my camera cause I have the same problem with downloaded videos, still .avi thopugh........ I tried wmv and worked perfecto........... please help. I could go around it using a converter but......... I think Premiere should do ITS job!!!!!

• 31. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Did you do your Capture in PrPro, or some other software? Those downloaded .AVI's, what is their CODEC? Use G-Spot to tell you this info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 32. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                                        ip3a

Same problems here with the Jerky AVI's.

I've captured the AVI's from screen casts using www.camstudio.org software.  I have abosolutely no problem with playing these AVI's in Windows Movie Maker.    I'm running a Dell Studio with tons of HD space (7200 RPM), 4 GB of RAM and the computer was only bought a few months ago from Dell so Vista shouldn't be too corrupt yet (knock on wood).

I've even uploaded the file here if anyone wants to see how it behaves on their machine.

http://drop.io/78mgq44

pwd: adobe

Here's the data from the video properties in the Project Window.  Any idea why I would have DROPPED FRAMES?   Again, this plays fine in WMM or Windows Media Player (and in the Drop where it's uploaded per the above link).

File Path: C:\Users\mark\Desktop\Tagle Video Demos\Video\~
                                                                        Type: AVI Movie
                                                                        File Size: 66.3 MB
                                                                        Image Size: 640 x 480
                                                                        Pixel Depth: 32
                                                                        Frame Rate: 200.00
                                                                        Total Duration: 00;00;23;06
                                                                        Average Data Rate: 2.9 MB / second
                                                                        Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

AVI File details:
                                                                        Contains 1 video track(s) and 0 audio track(s).

Video track 1:
                                                                        Size is 66.21M bytes (average frame = 14.57K bytes)
                                                                        This movie appears to have DROPPED FRAMES
                                                                        There are 23 keyframes, 688 delta frames.
                                                                        There are 3940 empty frames.
                                                                        Frame rate is 200.00 fps
                                                                        Frame size is 640 x 480
                                                                        Depth is 16 bits.
                                                                        Compressor: 'CRAM', Microsoft Video 1

• 33. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

No wonder you have problems. On the one hand you have a 32 bit depth at 200 FPS, furtheron you have only 16 bit depth, with a non-standard resolution and an unknown codec, all wrapped in an AVI file.

AVI is NOT a codec, it is a wrapper and is irrelevant for PR. The codec inside is what matters.

Convert your stuff to a format suitable for editing in PR before bringing it into PR. Use DV AVI type2.

The alternative is to use other software to edit it, like WMM or just watch it as it is.

• 34. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                                            ip3a Level 1

Thanks Harm.  I changed the settings in CamStudio to 30 FPS, but it appears that there are no options to change pixel depth. The current codec is set to Microsoft Video 1. Here's some more info via some screenshots of settings in Camstudio.  If you could suggest some settings that would be better I would be much obliged.

CamStudioSettings.png

CamStudioSettings2.png

• 35. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Bad luck, but all available codecs as shown in your screenshot (by the way, that helps enormously!) are all formats unsuitable for editing. The highlighted one is MPEG1, a rather old and not very efficient codec, but the alternatives are no better. If you are stuck with CamStudio, your best approach may be to capture as MPEG1 and then convert to DV AVI type2, or you could have a look at Camtasia, which offers some more export options, although  there may be a bug with longer timelines over 3.30 minutes.

• 36. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                                                ip3a Level 1

What are your thoughts on BSR?

http://www.bsrsoft.com/

It has a lot more features than CamStudio and, from what I've heard, is better than Camtasia.

• 37. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                                                  ip3a Level 1

BTW, here is a screenshot of the codec options.  Will one of these work?

BSR Vid Compression Options.png

• 38. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

I have never tried it, so I may be wrong. The thing that strikes me is that they mention AVI as an export option. That is about as telling that you can export a text document, but leaving out whether that text document can be used by Word, Notepad, UltraEdit, or whatever. It means absolutely nothing. Lacking marketing IMO and obfuscating the issue that is relevant: can you use the results in PR. I would contact them and get more definite info from them. Ask specifically whether the output is DV AVI type2.

• 39. Re: CS4 jerky AVI playback, ImporterProcessServer?
                                                                                      ip3a Level 1

Well, I just tried it out with BSR and, even though I'm using the Microsoft Video 1 codec, it works perfectly.  Weird.

1 2 Previous Next