• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't drag and drop a file into Photoshop for some reason?

Apr 26, 2009 Apr 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what made it stop but at this point it's beginning to bug me to no end. I can no longer simply drag a file into Photoshop. I now have to go to "file --> open" in order to get anything into. Is there anything I can do to restore the ability to drag and drop?

Just to let you know I reset the preferences already and that did nothing. The other thing is I'm running Windows 7, however I've never had an issue with PS on it. Lastly I'm using CS4.

Thanks for any and all help.

Jaleel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jaleel215 wrote:

I don't know what made it stop but at this point it's beginning to bug me to no end. I can no longer simply drag a file into Photoshop. I now have to go to "file --> open" in order to get anything into. Is there anything I can do to restore the ability to drag and drop?

You should be able to drag an image file from Windows Explorer into the work area if PS is open and maximised.

At least it works that way with Vista  64. It won't work dragging it on to the task bar button or the PS icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how I'm trying to drag a file into Photoshop; from explorer. I know the icon drop isn't working but I find it odd that it won't even let me drag PSD files into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the image on Internet Exprorer is copy protected. You can click until the cows come home and nothing will happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope not Internet Explorer, but Windows Explorer. I don't know why they named them so close. If I try to drag a file from the, File Browser, PS won't automatically open the file.

i.e. If had an my file browser, aka Explorer, opened to: D:\Photo and tried to drag _mg_5693.jpg into Photoshop, Photoshop won't open it up. However if I go to File -> D Drive -> Photo and selected _mg_5693.jpg, it opens without issue.

Thanks for all the help to all of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to drag the image from an external drive?  May be a permissioning issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought you might have been on to something with the external drive comment. However, no matter where I try to drag from it won't open in PSCS4.

I will note that I have Photoshop set to run as Admin. don't know if that's the issue or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a solution to the problem, but I find right-clicking an Image file and using the context menu is quicker anyway. Also it gives you more choices and works even when Photoshop is closed.

Is drag and drop disabled anywhere in OS or PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know off? How can I check to see if drag and drop is disabled in PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will note that I have Photoshop set to run as Admin. don't know if that's the issue or not?

Only if you're using it while logged in as a user and trying to open a file from the administrators desktop. You  might want to put items you wish to use as another user in the "Shared" directory as a start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can comfirm that running it as Admin is the issue, I had the probelm after I started running it as admin and when I disabled it and re-started PS the problem went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2009 Sep 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the exact same problem now.

I think it started to occur fater i changed to run PS as admin.

After that i couldnt drag files from windows explorer or firefox. I cant right click and open with photoshop either now.

I have tried to turn it back as before, not to run as admin and it still doesnt work. Even tried to turn it back to run PS as admin but no change except that then can right-click and open a file. But it still extremely annoying.

Im running Windows Crappness Vista and Photoshop CS4.

The TS find any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may seem a little strange for a single use computer, but you can right click on the PS icon and then choose "run as administrator".  In Bridge there have been times that user has solved permission problems with this method.  This was on single use computers with full administrative privileges.

Not sure this will solve problem, but an easy to try.

If this helpls there is probably a setting in windows somewhere to correct this, but don't know what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have problem after install vista, how to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please I can't drag and drop a QR code from my Desktop to my maximized Photoshop..

It's Urgent and Frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines