4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2009 8:05 PM by Stan Jones

How can I change the starting timecode so that the Source Window starts at zero

Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I have been handed a bunch of DVD disks that when I pull out the VOB file and rename to mpg will not import to Premiere.  I ran Gspot and it tells me it is an MPEG 1 file with 352x240 resolution.  I tried importing to AME to translate it but it crashes. so I captured the analog ouput from the first DVD with a ADS Pyro A/V Link  The problem is I have to make many cuts to specific time readings that are queued to the elapsed time on the playing counter on the DVD.  It is practically impossible to start the playback and the capture is there any way to reset the timecode to zero at the beginning of the clip. Or is there a better way to massage the VOB file to something Premiere will import

• 1. Re: How can I change the starting timecode so that the Source Window starts at zero
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Having been in this situation in the past, I have my own solution which works quite well.

I start off by telling clients not to make any edit notes on the DVD version, for the very reason you're now facing.  Instead, I get the DVD, create a Window Dub and have the client make edit notes using that.  This way the client sees the exact same timecode I see.

You might enjoy telling your client his previous edit notes won't work, but it'll sure make your life easier if you do and have the client make new ones watching the Window Dub.

• 2. Re: How can I change the starting timecode so that the Source Window starts at zero
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Thanks Jim, I now know how to do it next time.  But as this a good friend I will have to muddle my way through this maze this time.  But at least I now know the answer to another thing that had me wondering.  Since this is a new forum I was wondering how you would find out when a question is answered and now I see the mechanism.

• 3. Re: How can I change the starting timecode so that the Source Window starts at zero
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Bill,

After your file is captured and in the Project window, go to File > Timecode. From there, you'll be able to change the timecode of the clip to whatever you want. Simple as that...

• 4. Re: How can I change the starting timecode so that the Source Window starts at zero
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm on CS3, but I don't think it matters for this purpose.

I was going to respond to the "VOB to Premiere" part, and missed the importance of Colin's response at first.  So, Bill, even though you get it, I'll add this.  Having placed the first VOB clip on the timeline (see below - it won't be a vob clip), find the first time code the client has indicated (go back to the DVD to recognize it).  Now use Colin's File->Timecode, and set the timecode to the CTI to the DVD time.

If there are multiple tracks, etc., you may have to reset.

I try to avoid editing mpeg files in Premiere.  If the output is to DVD, I use VideoRedo and make my cuts there and output mpg (or elementary files) to put on DVD.

But you can use that or other tools to demux and convert as needed.  CS4 is supposed to be more robust with AC3, but there are mixed results, so I suspect I would still convert the sound to a wav file.  Also, by using a tool and converting the vobs, you may find the timecodes work.