3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2009 1:29 AM by Douglas R Wagner

Why playback is slow on almost any format?

JBrown321 Level 1

I am new to the adobe forums and certainly do appreciate all the valuable input I have recieved from everybody. I have been a Premeire user for many years and absolutely love the interface and workflow. I know that this question has been posted many times and realize that there are many variables that fall into play.  I am running on a dual core AMD Athlon 2.4Mhz 2 gigs ram nvidia quadro fx 4000 windows xp.  I have recently upgraded to cs4 and love it, that is except for the performance aspect.  I realize cs4 was practicaly restructured, but why is it that almost every format I bring into premiere suffers from jerky playback.  2.0 was fine and from what I've heard cs3 was fine as well.  Something must have changed that has caused even dv footage to stutter.  Any ideas or thoughts? Shouldn't the same machine that plays well on 2.0 play smooth on cs4?  Are they planning to release fixes to these playback issues in the 4.1 update?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Why playback is slow on almost any format?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I am new to the adobe forums and certainly do appreciate all the valuable input I have recieved from everybody.

Total sidetrack here, but...you're listed as having only one post, this one.  And I'm the first to respond.  I'm curious, what "valuable input" have you received so far?

• 2. Re: Why playback is slow on almost any format?
            MarkWeiss Level 1

Heck, even the Adobe interface 'stutters' with just an audio track and no video. I wanted to figure out if it was a particular video format that was causing this--it's not. It's the whole UI that freezes and it doesn't matter what I use for source material, or even if there is no video at all. Everything--I mean everything---even Task Manager's graphs--stops updating when CS4 experiences it's 8-second freeze every 3 seconds.

• 3. Re: Why playback is slow on almost any format?
              Douglas R Wagner

Hi,

Take a look at my responses under the thread "CS4 jerky AVI playback ImporterProcessServer".  I've talked with Adobe tech support about this issue.  CS4 is architected with more stages of data processesing for playback than earlier versions.  People with HDV are having lots of problems.  Some folks too have problems with DV that used to work fine on older versions of Premiere Pro.  Also note that on Vista (may not apply to you), turn off all unnecessary background processes.  I even do that on my XP machine.

I describe a trick that helped on my single-core, 4 year old computer running XP-32bit Service Pack 3.  Likely to help you too.

Douglas Wagner