5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 6:22 PM by Claudio González

PM 6.5 Export to Adobe PDF

Using PM 6.5 under MS Vista I can´t create PDF-files by  "export to Adobe PDF". Need help.

• 1. Re: PM 6.5 Export to Adobe PDF
          Level 4

are you connected to a Postscript printer? or do you have the virtual postscript printer installed.

• 2. Re: PM 6.5 Export to Adobe PDF
            BigJohnD Level 3

Ofrahim wrote:

Using PM 6.5 under MS Vista I can´t create PDF-files by  "export to Adobe PDF". Need help.

Firstly, Adobe don't support PM6.5 on Vista, for this kind of reason. PM's "Export… AdobePDF…" was never the most robust of macros so I'm not surprised it goes belly up with Vista.

You could try this (copied from the now defunct PM FAQs), assuming you have a version of Distiller (4?) installed.

The two stage Print and Distill process

Stage1:

First, "print" a PostScript file by going to File>Print.

Select a PostScript printer & PPD from the output device (ie: Linotronic or Prinergy), or preferably the Acrobat 5 Distiller PPD.

If you use Acrobat 6, use Adobe's Generic Postscript Printer by installing Adobe Universal PostScript Windows Driver Installer (winsteng.exe) from Illustrator's install disk or at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1500, choosing "Local Port" and "File."

It's also recommended for all computers in your department to use the same PPD that is used for writing postscript files as the "Compose to" printer to avoid recomposition.

In PageMaker’s Print dialogue, click on the "Options" button, and check "Write PostScript to File." Select the "Normal" radio button. Set both Type 1 and TrueType fonts to download. As always, set the Send TIF/Images option to "Normal" and NOT Optimized. Make other settings elsewhere in the print dialog as desired, such as "paper" size, crop marks, separations, etc. You’ll see the Print button has now become a Save button. Click Save.
            Note: If your going to create a PDF, always use the Distiller PPD.

Stage 2:

Launch Acrobat Distiller.

Good practice in general is to check your Job Options prior to distilling, because you’ll need to change these depending on if your PDF is destined for high-end output or just web viewing - more on that in another post below - but pay special attention to the compression and downsampling options. These will have a very noticeable effect on image quality vs file size. Navigate to the PostScript file you created and open it. Alternately, you can "drop" the .ps file onto the Distiller window. Your PDF will be created, and, provided your PM document was clean to begin with (graphics Placed and not Pasted, EPS and TIF graphics only, properly managed fonts, etc) you should have a good PDF.

Best of luck.

Iechyd da! John
            00:08 28/04/2009

• 3. Re: PM 6.5 Export to Adobe PDF
              Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

BigJohnD wrote:

You could try this (copied from the now defunct PM FAQs), assuming you have a version of Distiller (4?) installed.

John, are you saying that, as you didn't keep a backup copy of the FAQs, they are gone forever because nobody else did???  I really cannot believe that such a thing could happen. These are completely new forums, and I at least wouldn't have attempted such a large scale change without backing up everything at least in two or three different places!!!

• 4. Re: PM 6.5 Export to Adobe PDF
                BigJohnD Level 3

Hello, Claudio,

I believe the sub-forum is not lost, and still around, but not available.

My backup is a PDF of over 200 pages from about 2006, but most of the hyperlinks are now broken.

It was almost 10MB but I don't seem to be able to compress it to less than 5.4Mb, over the Forum's 5MB limit for posting,    .

Winzip will squeeze it to 2Mb but that's not acceptable for uploading.

Iechyd da! John
                01:06 29/04/2009

• 5. Re: PM 6.5 Export to Adobe PDF
                  Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Can't you just split it in two parts and publish them as Part I and Part II?