It would be more helpful if you could indicate what you have changed/added to the file.
It might be my eyes playing tricks whilst trying to juggle the different files, but it looks like the files are all the same revised versions, meaning what you label as being the original code is not. In any case, you say the problem is the placement of the buttons, indicating they display off screen. Do you know that or is it that you cannot see them and assume they are off screen? Could you also indicate the relationship between frame 1 and 102... Is the scene animated such that the file starts at 1 and stops at 102 when the file opens, or are they arrived at for different purposes? Could you make the fla available for download?
A few things...
Neither I nor my computer know what to do with an sit file.
You started off indicating CS3 files, but now mention CS4... I do not have CS4, so I won't be able to open the file(s).
If you can provide a file, I would only need the file you're having trouble with. Without the file, the problem solving involves figuring out what you've done, which is why I wanted to know how it changed... (sorry, but I'm not about to read thru an entire file's code to figure out how it is designed... likely too much unrelated things that have to be unecessarily sorted).
What you oughta do is put some trace statements in the file to see where things are being placed. Test the con button x/y coordinates and determine why they are what they are--from what I saw of the code, it should be in the realm of x = 500 (estimating... don't know its width). One other thing... if you created a new button instance for the con button, make sure it aligns with the origin in it's stage.
Thanks for the help Ned. I'm making heavy weather of it really aren't I.
Here's the original
and here's the one I changed
The thing is Ned, there are no button instances in the Library, it's all done in ActionScript which doesn't make it too easy to place anything visually.
By the way the file links are now in CS3 so if you need to take a look you'll see what I mean.
The buttons are all created using the same library object (but MC), except for the code you have in the revised file does not call on that for the con button.
You have it calling on something with a linkage name of "con", which a quick check tells me doesn't exist--so it is undefined in the code when you try to use it. I found this by using trace(newConBut._x); after its _x value was assigned, as I mentioned you should try. So the first thing you want to do is change the following line from...
var newConBut = _root.attachMovie("con", "conbut", _root.getNextHighestDepth());
var newConBut = _root.attachMovie("but", "conbut", _root.getNextHighestDepth());
so that it uses the but MC that serves that purpose in the library. Then you want to correct the _x assignment of the buttons to what I think you had earlier...
newConBut._x = 650-newConBut._width;
newRecBut._x = newConBut._x-newRecBut._width;
Here is a picture of what those changes do (note, without the XML file I had to finagle things just to work, so the biutton labels aren't what they will be)...
Ned, you are an absolute star! If I could pass a beer down the internet pipe, I would.
My XML file links in fine give or take a tweak and I just needed to adjust the width to 656 when the proper titles went in.
Thank you so much after my mixed up explanation initially.
You're welcome, Garry.
Just one more thing Ned if you've got a spare second. Sorry to bother you again.
I've posted the amended file at
and XML file at
When I click on the Contact Us section how would I stop the Navigation Buttons «» and Section Numbers appearing in just this section?
They don't really need to be there when the address is viewed because there aren't any more pages to view.
I started looking thru it, and it looks like it'll be up to you to figure out how to deal with the section numbers. I'd be spending alot of time trying to track things figuring that one out. You essentially need to find what creates that section and work it backwards from there... I think it creates it in the function "makeSlides" in frame 102. It may boil down to adjusting the data that's assigned for the con section, or to avoiding creating it at all for the con section (possibly removing the line you probably have that has "makeSlides("Con");").
For the forward/back buttons, my first shot would be to somehow include the following in the con button code:
There's a chance that if you can solve the first problem, the second will fix itself accordingly, since the forward.back buttons likely draw from the section status.
Thanks for all your help Ned. I've got a lot of learning to do but
without help like this I'd know very little.