4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2009 11:30 AM by Steve Kale

Capture Sharpening for Canon 1Ds II

Steve Kale

Hi.  I have been away from my photography for some time and am slowly coming back up to speed on things new.  For now my focus is on capture sharpening for images shot with my 1Ds II.  Previously I used Photokit with variable results and an action combining Smart Sharpen and the sharpen feature embedded in Reduce Noise.  (I had, in fact, had a number of discussions with Bruce Fraser a long time back about the results I was getting with Photokit and the 1Ds II. It was my disappointment with the results from Photokit that led to a preference for the results of the SS/RN action.)

I've just read the following thread with interest:

http://forums.adobe.com/click.jspa?searchID=250337&objectType=2&objectID=1207380

It seems things have moved along a lot.  I currently have CS3 (ACR 4.6, the latest I believe).  My question is have things have moved on beyond the discussion contained in the above thread? I am not focused, at this point, on upscaling/downscaling but rather simply on getting the best full pixel base image.

Is there anything in CS4 (ACR 5.x) which would improve capture sharpening?

(BTW I have previously used Photozoom to upscale.  The thought of scaling in ACR seems incompatible with then image-editing independent of output size so that the final work can then be output to any desired size at any point in time.)

Finally, for output sharpening I used Photokit.  I have not yet purchased Lightroom. I have yet to fully evaluate the benefits although these seem to be purely workflow oriented rather than 'functional'. One thing in the above thread piqued my interest though and since it's related I will ask: are there significant advantages to output sharpening in Lightroom versus Photokit?

Thanks in advance

Steve

• 1. Re: Capture Sharpening for Canon 1Ds II
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Steve Kale wrote:

Is there anything in CS4 (ACR 5.x) which would improve capture sharpening?

Not as it relates only to capture sharpening, no. However, ACR 5.2 and above have an improved resampling (arguably better than Photoshop itself for upsample) and output sharpening built in. However, the benefits of ACR 5.x really go way beyond simply these things and between the adjustment brush and gradient filter, you are leaving a lot of functionality on the table by not moving to ACR 5. Aside from ACR and the new functions of Photoshop, you're also missing Bridge CS4 which is much improved over previous versions...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Capture Sharpening for Canon 1Ds II
            Steve Kale Level 1

Thanks Jeff.  I'm sure.  I am currently trying to find out if an issue with Epson Advanced B&W printing from CS4 has been fixed before deciding about any upgrade, the price of which is not insignificant.

I have one follow up question re output sharpening.  What's the point of having output sharpening in ACR unless ALL of the editing features that you would use in CS4 or 3 are available in ACR?  Maybe I am missing something but they're better off placed in Photoshop itself (albeit the same algorithm may not be available outside of a RAW/linear environment).  Only if one can get an image to final output satisfaction are they useful.  I suspect that's a minority of cases but maybe ACR has developed way beyond my current impression.

• 3. Re: Capture Sharpening for Canon 1Ds II
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Steve Kale wrote:

Only if one can get an image to final output satisfaction are they useful.  I suspect that's a minority of cases but maybe ACR has developed way beyond my current impression.

Well, I guess you haven't downloaded the demo and actually used ACR 5 yet huh? Many, many photographers find with the addition of local tone/color control the numbers of images that MUST go through Photoshop has been drastically cut. So, for those people who can do most everything in ACR, there's the useful ability to do output sharpening. Very handy when you are doing a batch save of a bunch f images intended for a web page or prints at a lab. The only caveat is that for the output sharpening to be effective, you must be able to spec the final size in ACR. That's a bit crude at the moment but should improve in the future...

As for Photoshop having output sharpening as well...I don't disagree...but that's a separate business issue that I can't really get into. Hopefully we will be able to work something out down the road.

The issue with Advanced B&W printing is an Epson issue to fix...it can't be fixed by Adobe (or at least shouldn't be). However, it works just fine if you use intentional double color management and set the CS4 to handle color management and send the driver Adobe RGB (as the output profile) and then also set the driver to Advanced B&W. This works for CS4 and Lightroom 2.x.

• 4. Re: Capture Sharpening for Canon 1Ds II
                Steve Kale Level 1

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Well, I guess you haven't downloaded the demo and actually used ACR 5 yet huh?

Correct.  Just getting back to this now.

Jeff Schewe wrote:

The only caveat is that for the output sharpening to be effective, you must be able to spec the final size in ACR.

A big caveat.  I look forward to seeing future versions.

The issue with Advanced B&W printing is an Epson issue to fix...it can't be fixed by Adobe (or at least shouldn't be). However, it works just fine if you use intentional double color management and set the CS4 to handle color management and send the driver Adobe RGB (as the output profile) and then also set the driver to Advanced B&W. This works for CS4 and Lightroom 2.x.

Do Epson recognise this as their problem? What if I want to use a B&W QTR profile?  (I've previously profiled a particular set of Adv B&W settings and then used that profile as my output profile with CS4 handling colour management.)

Thanks for the help.