6 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2009 12:38 AM by Paul_LS

could not initialize disc burning engine???

broeri

For the last few months, any time that I try to burn a DVD I get this error.

I have tried working around the problem by burning to a folder, but PE doesn't do anything (just says 'burning to a folder' and stays on 0%).

Any ideas on why it's doing this or what I could try to do to solve the problem?

Thanks!

Erik

• 1. Re: could not initialize disc burning engine???
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The best way to troubleshoot the problem and find a solution is to work through the troubleshooting steps in teh FAQs to the right of this forum.

If you'll post your results for each step in as much detail as possible, we'll be better able to help you.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

• 2. Re: could not initialize disc burning engine???
            broeri Level 1

Thanks, Steve, for the info. Here's what I've done:

1. I'm able to create a pure AVI project. I do that and then go to share to disc and get the same error ' could not initialize disc burning engine'.

2. I am not able to burn to a folder. It acts like it will do it, but then it justs sits on 0% and does nothing.

3. I have defragmented, cleaned-up, run antivirus, etc and still have the same problems.

I have gone through your faqs on optimizing vista, maintaining computer for best performance, etc and I'm still having this (and other problems - like the one you were previously helping me with - can't add titles without the program crashing).

The computer is an HP DV2500 with 2.0 Ghz centrino duo and 2.0 Gb RAM and 160 Gb hard drive. I've update my graphics card driver and checked for updates to the DVD burner. 20 Gb is free on the hard drive and I get these same errors for any size (even 10 second) project that I'm working on.

Is there any other further advice that you might be able to give me?

Thanks,

Erik

• 3. Re: could not initialize disc burning engine???

20 gigs free on a 160 gig hard drive is probably not sufficient -- or barely sufficient -- for working on video, depending on what your source files are.

Although if you're saying out can't even burn a 10 second project to a folder on your hard drive, I have some real concerns.

Is that really the case?

• 4. Re: could not initialize disc burning engine???
                broeri Level 1

Steve,

Sad, but true.

I tried to burn a 9 second video to a folder, and it said it was doing it, but the progress bar just stayed at 0% and nothing happened.

I checked in the task manager and found that Adobe premiere elements.exe was using something like 300,000k of memory, but 00 of CPU.

Any further ideas on what to do?

Thanks,

Erik

• 5. Re: could not initialize disc burning engine???

Sorry no. It might be time to contact Adobe Tech Support.

• 6. Re: could not initialize disc burning engine???
                    Paul_LS Level 4

One thing... although you can not burn to folder either so it is probably unlikely, but how many DVD drives do you have? Or do you have a DVD player installed as well?

One further thing, go into Windows and disable your DVD burner, re-start your computer and Windows will refind it. Then try to burn.

To disable your burner, go to Start, Control Panel, System, System Properties/Hardware/Device Manager, then click on the Device Manager tab, find and select your DVD burner under DVD/CD ROM drives and right click and select Disable.